Watch out! DJI will charge you for damages they cause!
876 3 2021-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
redbassett
lvl.1
Flight distance : 197510 ft
United States

If you are looking for repairs on DJI gear, watch out if they ask you to send equipment in for diagnostics.

Back in February, I swapped out the camera module on my already-out-of-warranty Mavic 2. Everything was fine with the hardware, however I was seeing a firmware issue that would cause the remote to lose image signal when I switched camera modes. I contacted support, and after having me reinstall the current firmware versions, they told me the only action I could take would be to send the unit in for diagnostics. They assured me I wouldn't be charged as long as repairs didn't need to be made.

I sent the unit in. It was wrapped in a large amount of bubble wrap and shipped via UPS on labels that DJI had generated for me. A while later I got an email from DJI: They didn't say anything about the firmware issue I had sent the unit in for, but they did include an estimate for a list of hardware reapirs complete with photos showing one of the moto arms smashed up and damage to the unit's outer case. They wanted me to pay around $600 for all the repairs. Naturally, I contacted UPS to file a claim for shipping damages, but I was told that only DJI could do so as the purchaser of the shipping labels.

Surely, DJI would gladly file a claim, get this fixed, and get me my drone back? No, they claimed that the damage had happened in flight and they could not open a claim. This would begin a four or five month back-and-forth of them escelating my case to support managers. I sent them photos of the unit before it was shipped, I sent them flight logs showing no crashes had occured. Still, they claimed it was flight damage and they couldn't open a claim. Finally, it came down to the following: They would offer a %20 discount if I paid for repairs. I asked them to provide proof of a crash, but they refused to provide diagnostics and log analysis unless I paid $65 up front. Repeatedly, support managers insisted it was definitely crash damage, but refused to provide any proof other than "our team looked at it and said it is crash damage". I kept asking to be connected to someone who could resolve the problem, and managers kept telling me that they are the highest in the organization I could go and they were not going to approve the repair, the diagnostics, nor the shipping damage claim. Every email or phone call was accompanied by a mention that because the unit was out of warranty they couldn't do a free repair. Obviously, warranty isn't really a consideration when they (or their shipping vendor) are the ones that broke the equipment, but if there is one thing (and only one thing) DJI support allows their agents and managers to do, it's read you a script. I'm sure DJI has spent more on support agents' time telling me that they cannot do the repair for free than they would have spent to have someone take the drone that is already at a repair center, fix the broken parts, and send it back to me!

After five months I have given up. I finally authorized them to ship the broken unit back to me. They broke the equipment, now I need to do the repairs myself, and I am certianly in the market for a new, non-DJI drone down the road. Be warned: when DJI claims they can asses an issue and you won't be charged unless a repair is needed, they may send back something more broken than you sent it, unless you pay. DJI policy appears to be that customers are responsible for shipping damages.
2021-7-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, we are deeply sorry for the issue. Could you provide us the case number or related number? We would like to look into it. Thanks for your response.
2021-7-16
Use props
redbassett
lvl.1
Flight distance : 197510 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 7-16 18:12
Hi there, we are deeply sorry for the issue. Could you provide us the case number or related number? We would like to look into it. Thanks for your response.

Yeah, no, if your company was "deeply sorry" for the issue, they would have fixed the damages they caused, instead they told me very directly that their decision was final and they would not be offering any options beside returning a broken device to me or charging me for a repair. The (still broken) drone is already in transit back to me at this point since I was not going to spend hundreds of dollars for DJI to repair a part I can repair for $50.

I am sure that you, an individual support employee does want to help people, and in this case the biggest thing you can do to help is to remind your department managers that this sort of "support" is what drives people away. I do not believe in "the customer is always right" – many customers are absolute jerks – but fixing problems you cause for someone who has spent money with your company is both a good way to ensure further business and to just be a good person. (Also, folks like me who fly this hardware professionally need a reliable vendor we can trust to actually fix problems, so, see point one.)
2021-7-16
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

redbassett Posted at 7-16 18:30
Yeah, no, if your company was "deeply sorry" for the issue, they would have fixed the damages they caused, instead they told me very directly that their decision was final and they would not be offering any options beside returning a broken device to me or charging me for a repair. The (still broken) drone is already in transit back to me at this point since I was not going to spend hundreds of dollars for DJI to repair a part I can repair for $50.

I am sure that you, an individual support employee does want to help people, and in this case the biggest thing you can do to help is to remind your department managers that this sort of "support" is what drives people away. I do not believe in "the customer is always right" – many customers are absolute jerks – but fixing problems you cause for someone who has spent money with your company is both a good way to ensure further business and to just be a good person. (Also, folks like me who fly this hardware professionally need a reliable vendor we can trust to actually fix problems, so, see point one.)

My deepest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. Surely, this is not the DJI experience we want you to feel. As for your concern, we will transfer your voice to our department manager, but please provide us a case number for them to reference. We will see if there is anything we could do. If you have any difficulties, please keep us posted and we will try our best to help you out. Thanks and best regards.  
2021-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules