Add estimated wind speed & direction display to UI
1111 8 2021-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Japan

It's a pretty easy thing to do with the flight logs, airdata has the feature to calculate the wind speed and direction and it's accurate enough for guiding the operations.
So why not provide that data to pilots directly on the DJI Fly UI?

It doesn't have to be extremely precise, but it can make things much easier for pilots who want to fly far.

UAV Forecast, while useful of course, is still not as accurate as our drone's sensors. With the realtime wind telemetry data displayed, pilots can easily decide if they need to avoid the wind or take a surf with the winds, which can make the usage of batteries much more efficient.

Yes I can read the attitude indicator, and I can do some easy math to determine the realtime wind level, however it's just pretty effort consuming. Easy to find where the wind is coming from, but hard to determine the actual wind speed. With automatical calculations it can be made much easier.
2021-7-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you. I will forward these information and these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you.
2021-7-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always check UAV forecast for this,  you can even set the altitude to see wind speed.  And its free.
2021-7-18
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Japan

DAFlys Posted at 7-18 23:17
I always check UAV forecast for this,  you can even set the altitude to see wind speed.  And its free.

As I have explained, UAV forecast is inaccurate when compared with your drone's actual flight data. Your drone must constantly monitor its attitude and motion, which can generate very accurate real-time information of the current wind speed. In fact, if I've got the aerodynamics model (which DJI and Airdata had) I can do the programing part myself...
2021-7-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-18 23:26
As I have explained, UAV forecast is inaccurate when compared with your drone's actual flight data. Your drone must constantly monitor its attitude and motion, which can generate very accurate real-time information of the current wind speed. In fact, if I've got the aerodynamics model (which DJI and Airdata had) I can do the programing part myself...

Maybe its location based then as its really accurate here.
2021-7-18
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Japan

DAFlys Posted at 7-18 23:30

Hmm maybe you can share me a flight log file from today? So that I can double check between the flight log based weather conditions and the UAV forecast forecasts.
2021-7-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-18 23:51
Hmm maybe you can share me a flight log file from today? So that I can double check between the flight log based weather conditions and the UAV forecast forecasts.

I have a friend that flys light aircraft and we compare forecasts from his service to the UAV and its usually really similar.
2021-7-18
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Japan

With the drone telemetry data calculated wind data, we can actually make wind surfing even more efficient. E.g., you can go low to avoid wind on your way out to save battery, and then go high up to surf the stronger wind back to save the battery even more. I've used this trick multiple times with UAV Forecast, but it sometimes don't work lol.

The reason that I want to save battery is not that I want to go super far away. I just want to avoid wasting my cycles too fast.
2021-7-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's just a forecast and there are many reasons their forecast wind could be very different from what's blowing where you fly.
2021-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules