Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A possible start of a flyaway....
1181 5 2015-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peter.psilver
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Flying my I1 yesterday in a field nowhere near any electrical interference pylons - out in the countryside, I had what I think was the start of a flyaway. The I1 started drifting - still in GPS mode but I managed to land it somewhat heavily but luckily only damage was a broken prop and the gimbal had come off.

Took it back home and refitted everything and is working ok. However on the video I get a date of 31.12.2013 and the colour balance seemed off slightly on the video.

Now this may be silly and the first time I have done this this way, was to calibrate the compass in the opposite direction that the graphic in the app tells you to do. Don't ask why I did it that way but there you go.

Does it make a difference?

After the repairs I took it back out - recalibrated the compass according to the app graphic and she flew fine.

Coincidence?

2015-7-24
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

Peter, in the beginning, I have made that mistake with my P2v+ many times. and only a few times with my I1 and neither made a difference, but i wouldn't chance it.
99% of the time (when I do a cal.) I turn the right way. LEFT
With that being said, it sounds to me that the first calibration didn't' take so well and you needed to re-due it.  
I also make sure when its going through its start up (turn on self test), its on a level ground, so the EMU starts out level. this may or may not matter, but I've had a few times when it would drift when I started it on a un-level surface. Luckily for me, i've learned never lift the legs and fly away, until at least a good minute of hovering and see how she acts.
as far as the video goes... its hard to say, it could be a coincidence... video issues can come from a lot a different things

I hope your get to the bottom of your dilemma

Robert
2015-7-24
Use props
peter.psilver
lvl.4

United Kingdom

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-24 18:51
Peter, in the beginning, I have made that mistake with my P2v+ many times. and only a few times with ...

Well, this was in a field which slopes very slightly but I usually make sure when i start it up it is on a level bit on the case. Perhaps it only needs to be a tad off.

I normally hover for a minute or so and all was level etc.
2015-7-24
Use props
w1der
Second Officer

Sweden

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-24 18:51
Peter, in the beginning, I have made that mistake with my P2v+ many times. and only a few times with ...

I always "turn right" when I calibrate my compass (are you suggesting that this is "wrong"?) I never had any problems with my compass!
2015-7-24
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

w1der Posted at 2015-7-25 00:58
I always "turn right" when I calibrate my compass (are you suggesting that this is "wrong"?) I nev ...

No not suggesting one way or the other... "they" just tell us to go left... so I go left
2015-7-26
Use props
SimplePanda
First Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The book says counter clockwise but honestly I've calibrated hundreds of DJI compasses across hundreds of flights and I basically have no reliable direction. It's literally random whim; sometimes I go counter and sometimes I go clockwise.

The only thing I consistently do is turn the same direction for level and nose-down.

Never a single fly away or even a hint of control failure on any DJI aircraft (P1, A2 based, Inspire 1, etc).
2015-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules