817 7 2015-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SectorDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

What do you mean by xx days to discharge on the apps?  Does the battery will auto turn on on the p3 to discharge it after xx days of no use?

Is it on the manual?
2015-7-24
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Yes - if you look in the manual there's a reasonable explanation of how the battery discharge takes place even if you're not using your Phantom. To some degree, you can "program" the discharge rate of the battery.

My observations are:

If you charge the battery fully and don't do anything with it, within a few days it will automatically discharge down to somewhere around the 50% level. From that point, the discharge rate appears to slow down drastically, i.e., the discharge rate decreases quite a bit.

On the one hand, it isn't a good idea to charge your battery and then not use it. All the experts I've ever encountered recommend you don't do this. However, if you think you're going flying the next day and charge up your battery and then don't get to go flying, the intelligent battery helps you out by discharging a bit more at a time than it might have under normal use/charging.

After all, if you want to store your batteries away for some time, you don't want to store them away with a 50% charge and then forget about them for three months and discover they discharged down to absolute zero and are now worthless.

The nature of the LiPo battery seems to be that once the level reaches about 50% (a typical "storage" value with a run-of-the-mill LiPo), the "shelf discharge rate" slows down, giving you a reasonable storage life without so much danger of the battery self-discharging itself into oblivion.
2015-7-24
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

So i need to remove my battery  on the P3 in case it goes into discharging program?
2015-7-24
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

Can anyone confirm that the battery will self discharge to oblivion???? My batteries have always seem to stop discharging @ 50% (confirmed). I always charge then up after flight with intent to fly again next day or so. If for some reason I don't, @ 10 days which is where it is currently set, I can count on the system to bring them down to 50% until I can fly again and charge them up to full.
2015-7-24
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The batteries will only discharge themselves to a safe storage level -- which is about 50%. They will not continue to discharge themselves beyond that point. I suppose the batteries could fully discharge though if you don't use them for a few years.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-24
Use props
DMB2015
lvl.2

Canada

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-24 21:02
So i need to remove my battery  on the P3 in case it goes into discharging program?

I don't believe it matters whether the battery is in the phantom or not, it will discharge at the pre-set date. It will not turn on the phantom in the event it is in it.
2015-7-24
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-7-24 21:02

you do not have to remove…..phantom will not start to discharge. The discharge is done internally within the battery itself, this is done whether or not it is in the phantom
2015-7-24
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-24 22:00
The batteries will only discharge themselves to a safe storage level -- which is about 50%. They wil ...

I think by the time they totally discharge we will all be flying phantom 6.  
2015-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules