Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mini 2 is waterproof!
44170 34 2021-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tazztone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10 ft
Switzerland

so i recently managed to send another drone diving in the lake. (the previous story here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... d=219696#pid2508311 )
however, this time it was user error (tree collision). after the crash the drone dropped into 1m deep water where it sat for around 5 minutes. when i fished it out the water the red LED was still lighting up at the bottom. after removing the battery i sent the drone to the dryer at 40°C for 24h. amazingly enough the drone was operating as nothing had ever happened to it (including the battery).

so this is officially a waterproof drone now...

i made a video about the story:

Bonus content in the video at 01:00: when i went test flying i forgot that there was a military no fly zone behind me. i could fly away from it, but when i wanted to fly back to the home point the drone would say "authorisation zone reached" refusing to fly back to where it started! all while howering over a river. so i had no other option but to fly the drone to another place to land, which i did while riding the bike to not lose signal. end of story.

2021-7-21
Use props
Frank Alonso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

That is truly remarkable.  Reminds me of the time I put my Apple TV remote through the washer and dryer accidently.  The remote resurrected, which was amazing to me.
2021-7-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there tazztone. Good day and thank you for sharing these amazing information with us and this wonderful video as well. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-7-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sadly,  you now potentially have a time bomb on your hands,   there could be internal damage from the water that will affect you later on,  and hopefully not during a flight.
2021-7-21
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I have had such experiences too. The drone flew for a long time after that, but it had a weakness for water and dived again, this time for good. After his first bath he had white raids on the elements inside. The white stickers have turned red. The guarantee faded away in the waves...
2021-7-22
Use props
smbishop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1786919 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video and exciting story.  I hope I never have to experience either of those things!
2021-7-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting video.  I hope that there are no issues long term with the internal electronics.  
2021-7-22
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Nice story and lessons learned, always check for possible restricted zones before throwing the bird into the air.
2021-7-22
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 7-22 00:46
I have had such experiences too. The drone flew for a long time after that, but it had a weakness for water and dived again, this time for good. After his first bath he had white raids on the elements inside. The white stickers have turned red. The guarantee faded away in the waves...

hi thanks for sharing your story as well. i am interested to know tho: what do you mean by "white raids on the elements inside"?
i just peeked inside my drone and saw the red DJI sticker too. so warranty void for me too it is then...

2021-7-22
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My P4p went in the drink, its been going strong over 2 years now, BUT, you MUST bin that battery else you're asking for trouble, not worth the risk for £50
2021-7-25
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

A lot of water in the Aare!
2021-7-25
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 7-21 23:39
Sadly,  you now potentially have a time bomb on your hands,   there could be internal damage from the water that will affect you later on,  and hopefully not during a flight.

I agree, even in fresh water corrosion is still possible. I have seen mobile phones (that didn't have any IP rating) work for a few days to a few months in extreme cases before they bricked themselves.

I wouldn't fly the drone without it being looked at for damage.  
2021-7-26
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

tazztone Posted at 7-22 07:51
hi thanks for sharing your story as well. i am interested to know tho: what do you mean by "white raids on the elements inside"?
i just peeked inside my drone and saw the red DJI sticker too. so warranty void for me too it is then...

For the first time, the drone dived for a minute. He survived this meeting and, after drying, flown hundreds of kilometers without problems. After drying, a white coating appeared on the solder points and metal cases. It was not large, but a trained eye can see through the battery opening. It is worse when traces of electrolysis are visible, small depressions in the tin. This usually bodes death. Stickers turn red fairly quickly, sometimes even when in contact with fog. The second time this drone dies. The search operation lasted 3 weeks, but I finally found it with a second drone and aerial observation. The wreck looked very bad after three weeks in fresh water. The ultrasonic cleaner removed the corrosion. The drone even turned on the LEDs, but you could see that it was not going to be good. I haven't had any water adventures since then.
2021-7-26
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

Bashy Posted at 7-25 22:04
My P4p went in the drink, its been going strong over 2 years now, BUT, you MUST bin that battery else you're asking for trouble, not worth the risk for £50

just found a battery teardown video and attempted it as well.
this is how the battery looks inside:
no sign of water entry.
2021-7-26
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

The BMS is reasonably well protected against flooding for a short time. There is a sticker on the bottom of the PCB which is not visible in the film. Does he not blush like a virgin?
2021-7-26
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 7-26 04:27
The BMS is reasonably well protected against flooding for a short time. There is a sticker on the bottom of the PCB which is not visible in the film. Does he not blush like a virgin?

yea that one is also red
https://imgur.com/y3JlIQI
2021-7-26
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Poland

Do not worry. The battery will be functional and will not let you down. And how much did you find out by the way.
2021-7-26
Use props
Fat Controller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155246 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Given that over 70% of the Earth's surface is water you'd think the manufacturers would make drones waterproof from the off?
2021-7-29
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have to say, just because you dried it out, that does not make it waterproof.
Also, just because the battery PCB is coated, what about the cells, I would NEVER risk a battery after its been in the drink.For the sake of £50est its just not work the risk, it may be ok for now, it may be ok till EOL, or it may not, is it worth the cost
of a new AC, I think not but that's just me, oh wait, its not ;)
2021-7-29
Use props
deanbush
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88888 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it might be water resistant but not really water proof. Either way, that's great! Here in Miami Beach where I live, the salt water will definitely damage a drone.
2021-7-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would need to see inside one but looking at the motors, they aren't water resistant from what I can tell. I have a feeling they are not even resistant, reason being, DJI are still adding a litmus paper stickers, they wouldn't do that of water wasn't too much of a concern. That's just my take on it, just cause it can be dried out in an oven means nothing really. I wouldn't rely on the idea of even them being resistant. Just be mindful not to get close to the spray. Do you hit the boat ramps and, is it Haulover? I watch loads of those YT vids, I think they are great, some drone it too...
2021-7-30
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

Bashy Posted at 7-30 11:17
I would need to see inside one but looking at the motors, they aren't water resistant from what I can tell. I have a feeling they are not even resistant, reason being, DJI are still adding a litmus paper stickers, they wouldn't do that of water wasn't too much of a concern. That's just my take on it, just cause it can be dried out in an oven means nothing really. I wouldn't rely on the idea of even them being resistant. Just be mindful not to get close to the spray. Do you hit the boat ramps and, is it Haulover? I watch loads of those YT vids, I think they are great, some drone it too...

of course i am exaggerating. of course it's not water proof. however i would not have thought a drone could survive 1m of water for 5 minutes
2021-7-30
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If they are dried out properly before use and normally a new battery, they can hold up quite well, I would never trust a previously wet one.
2021-7-31
Use props
DJI_MAVICSERIES
lvl.1

United States

mate your really lucky that your done still works!
2021-8-5
Use props
DJI_MAVICSERIES
lvl.1

United States

Bashy Posted at 7-30 11:17
I would need to see inside one but looking at the motors, they aren't water resistant from what I can tell. I have a feeling they are not even resistant, reason being, DJI are still adding a litmus paper stickers, they wouldn't do that of water wasn't too much of a concern. That's just my take on it, just cause it can be dried out in an oven means nothing really. I wouldn't rely on the idea of even them being resistant. Just be mindful not to get close to the spray. Do you hit the boat ramps and, is it Haulover? I watch loads of those YT vids, I think they are great, some drone it too...

why would you put it in a oven?? does not feel right.
2021-8-5
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

DJI_MAVICSERIES Posted at 8-5 07:25
mate your really lucky that your done still works!

i know,  right?
2021-8-5
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

DJI_MAVICSERIES Posted at 8-5 07:26
well i could have put it in an oven also, since mine could be set at 40- 50 degrees C, which the electronics are able to withstand
2021-8-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI_MAVICSERIES Posted at 8-5 07:26

What did you think, 180C for 1hr 20mins? lol

It was a cooling down oven, set to fan only, it was deffo nowhere near hot enough to melt plastics but just enough to heat the plastic but not able to hold ya hand there. I kept checking to make sure the plastic was ok, I ain't that crazy. I did however leave it in there till the oven was cold, it was then put into the airing cupboard overnight, was winter time ish so the heating was on overnight, thus warm inside the airing cupboard. I didnt even attempt to dry the battery, went into a bucket of water for about 2 or 3 days.

I will reiterate, the best advice anyone can give to someone who's dunked a drone is to get rid of the battery, you won't be able to rely on it again.
2021-8-5
Use props
ozoffi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

At least the electronics (circuit board) could be protected from moisture / corrosion with plastic spray as a precaution.  I did this successfully on the electronic components of my garden railroad.  The motor and battery are still susceptible to water ...
2021-8-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lucky it worked!
2021-8-9
Use props
tazztone
lvl.3
Switzerland

Bashy Posted at 8-5 18:25
What did you think, 180C for 1hr 20mins? lol

It was a cooling down oven, set to fan only, it was deffo nowhere near hot enough to melt plastics but just enough to heat the plastic but not able to hold ya hand there. I kept checking to make sure the plastic was ok, I ain't that crazy. I did however leave it in there till the oven was cold, it was then put into the airing cupboard overnight, was winter time ish so the heating was on overnight, thus warm inside the airing cupboard. I didnt even attempt to dry the battery, went into a bucket of water for about 2 or 3 days.

well the only part where moisture could enter the battery would be at the contacts. since they were dry when i fished the drone out of the water AND i opened my battery to find there were no signs of alterations, i consider the battery to be as good as before
2021-11-18
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tazztone Posted at 11-18 09:52
well the only part where moisture could enter the battery would be at the contacts. since they were dry when i fished the drone out of the water AND i opened my battery to find there were no signs of alterations, i consider the battery to be as good as before

It is seriously Russian Roulette, if you want to risk the AC falling from the sky out of the blue, then go for it.
Its not just a case of the battery getting water inside, there's also any shorts that may occur, bearing in mind that the ac would be turned on at the time it went in the drink. For the sake of £55 or so, is it really worth risk the price of the AC, if you think so then have at it, you may be lucky this time round
2021-11-18
Use props
djiuser_ItwW6HpwAy5H
New

United States

Shouldn't you have needed an authorization code to take of if you were that close to restricted airspace? I only ask because I went to fly mine near an area with a TFR and it wouldn't let me take off without requesting an authorization code even though I wasn't actually inside the TFR.
2022-10-31
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1240184 ft
Switzerland

djiuser_ItwW6HpwAy5H Posted at 10-31 13:17
Shouldn't you have needed an authorization code to take of if you were that close to restricted airspace? I only ask because I went to fly mine near an area with a TFR and it wouldn't let me take off without requesting an authorization code even though I wasn't actually inside the TFR.

i only ever get a warning that i can then just cancel.
2022-10-31
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192825 ft
Philippines

just watched our video! glad that our mini 2 is that tough! Thanks for sharing!
2023-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules