Mini 2 always takes off in N mode regardless of switch setting
3698 8 2021-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

I'm posting this as a sort of a bump of this issue because I  stumbled across this bit of information recently whilst perusing some of the threads here in the forum. To recap the issue, The M2 always takes off in N mode regardless of the mode setting on the controller. The problem is that if you take off in C or S the Fly app will show that you are in the mode you selected even though you are actually in N. You will stay in N mode until you switch to N and then switch back to the mode you desire to be using. This has been confirmed by a DJI moderator in one of the earlier threads on this topic. Nowhere in any DJI documentation is this fact stated.

When I discovered this I went WOW, I wonder how many thousands of M2 pilots are blissfully unaware of this - as was I - and wondering why their drone is not always performing as expected.

2021-8-2
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

Even experienced users with multiple DJI drones have been caught out by this.
2021-8-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes I have been caught out by it (other DJI models) BUT I think defaulting to the "N" mode irrespective of the switch position is a good thing, especially if, like me, you tend to fly in a 'slower' mode and are inclined to 'think' you would be taking off in your usual mode. Taking off is a fast flight mode, when the mode is not expected, could be detrimental.
Ok, it would be better if the app indicated the actual flight mode that the drone is flying in but I would suggest that it will leave a pilot puzzled only once or twice after which, if their drone is not behaving as expected, they will have learnt to check the switch position.
2021-8-2
Use props
fans5fad8194
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

I agree with the logic to t/o in N. As it was for me, For many the M2 may be their first or second drone. Call me stupid but if the app says I'm in C and the switch is set to C it would not be on the top of my list to suspect that the app was lying to me.
2021-8-2
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

fans5fad8194 Posted at 8-2 14:07
I agree with the logic to t/o in N. As it was for me, For many the M2 may be their first or second drone. Call me stupid but if the app says I'm in C and the switch is set to C it would not be on the top of my list to suspect that the app was lying to me.

Because it is so easy to fix the app to automatically show N at every take off, they will probably never do it

If I had not sold my Air 1, I would still have been waiting for the "gimbal 90 degrees up/down" button for it... Welcome to the wonderful world of DJI
2021-8-2
Use props
AussieDronePilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1942792 ft
Australia

I’ve found both my Mini 2 and Air 2S take off in S mode, regardless if I have the remote on C or N! I now just start the motors, lift off to about 1m above the take off point and toggle the setting I want to use.
2021-8-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree 100%.  The DJI Fly App SHOULD indicate the actual flight mode that the drone is flying in.
2021-8-3
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Russia

fans5fad8194 Posted at 8-2 14:07
I agree with the logic to t/o in N. As it was for me, For many the M2 may be their first or second drone. Call me stupid but if the app says I'm in C and the switch is set to C it would not be on the top of my list to suspect that the app was lying to me.

Totally agree with you about the physical switch setting and the app display. The software can detect the position of the physical switch, yet it puts the drone into N mode for takeoff. If that's the case, then a few lines of code added to the the Takeoff procedure could solve this confusion. Have the software change the app display to 'Normal' at takeoff, then once the takeoff has succeeded and it's in a hover, check the switch position and place the drone back into that mode (C,N or S) and update the app display with that mode.

If it can change the flight mode to N for takeoff, then the ability to change the flight mode (irrespective of switch position) is already there in the software, and all they need to do is implement it as above. As CemAygun said, it's an easy fix so DJI won't do it.
2021-8-3
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

+1 for this.. The GUI should show which mode you are in... I can't fathom how DJI think its OK for the switch to be in C or S and the GUI to show that its in C or S, but the flight charactersitics are NORMAL.

It should either show the flight mode as N.. Or it should show a warning saying that the switch is set to a diffferent flight mode.

There is no reason why it should operate as it does.. I get that you are forced to take of in N mode and thats fine.. But you should either be forced to puit the switch to N for take-off, you should be made aware that you are NOT in the mode you want when you take off.

2021-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules