Anyone flying the Mini 2 with a Samsung A7 Lite?
13084 26 2021-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

I've just about given up on using my old iPhone 6 to fly the mini 2 beyond very basic take off and landing maneuvers.
I am looking for an economical alternative for my flying.
I refuse to "sideload" an app on my daily driver phone (Android)!

I see the Samsung A7 Lite with a lot of mostly favorable reviews and am wondering if anyone is actually using it and if you'd share your experiences.

Thanks!

2021-8-6
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

dji hates android, bottom line.  If you find a compatible device, you'll only stay within your 'djicare' agreement, doesn't mean it will be issue-free.  I use android and am not going flying with so many issues  ...  as well refuse to buy another cell phone just to fly my toy.
2021-8-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I use a S21 Ultra with ZERO issues. Any Android device must be sideloaded. I would just use my phone. Or the Tab 6 Lite is great.
2021-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use an ASUS Zenpad Z8s (not Z8) that works fine. Bought it for about $70 used on eBay.

https://www.backmarket.com/teste ... brlSwAaAlfCEALw_wcB

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/ ... tYYBKMaAnJuEALw_wcB

2021-8-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, the Samsung A7 lite is not compatible with the said drone and the DJI Fly app and we cannot guarantee the stability of the said mobile device when in use with the said unit. Please refer to the image below for the recommended mobile device for the unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

2021-8-6
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-6 20:48
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, the Samsung A7 lite is not compatible with the said drone and the DJI Fly app and we cannot guarantee the stability of the said mobile device when in use with the said unit. Please refer to the image below for the recommended mobile device for the unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

[view_image]

Well I've tried the iPhone 6 and it only functions in the most basic sense.  I'll probably return the drone to Costco.  It makes no sense to spend as much or more on a device to fly the drone as I did to buy the drone originally.
This is something I suggest DJI resolve moving forward.

PS - I like the idea of the Smart Controller but I fear it too will obsolete itself in just a few short years and at $750 the makes it too expensive as well.
2021-8-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Smokindog Posted at 8-8 01:53
Well I've tried the iPhone 6 and it only functions in the most basic sense.  I'll probably return the drone to Costco.  It makes no sense to spend as much or more on a device to fly the drone as I did to buy the drone originally.

We totally understand your decision, Smokindog. Our engineers are still doing their research and developments for the latest models of mobile devices to be compatible with the said application, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2021-8-8
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-8 21:56
We totally understand your decision, Smokindog. Our engineers are still doing their research and developments for the latest models of mobile devices to be compatible with the said application, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support!

I would think this would be a priority as it's a required element to actually use the product.  Also, when will the app be on the Play Store?  I don't "side load" apps on devices containing data of any consequence.
2021-8-9
Use props
Mini2 Flyr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4347785 ft
Australia

Smokindog Posted at 8-8 01:53
Well I've tried the iPhone 6 and it only functions in the most basic sense.  I'll probably return the drone to Costco.  It makes no sense to spend as much or more on a device to fly the drone as I did to buy the drone originally.

You may want to try side-loading an older version of the Fly app onto your mobile device. A quick Google search will provide many possibilities for a host of neat APK side-loading options..May I suggest you also complete a thorough and deep-cleanse virus scan of your mobile device after side-loading the app and ensure all your personal (Tinder etc) and banking apps have the latest security updates installed to minimise risk of malware/data mining trojan infection. Best of luck and keep us updated as to how you get on.
2021-8-9
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

Mini2 Flyr Posted at 8-9 04:12
You may want to try side-loading an older version of the Fly app onto your mobile device. A quick Google search will provide many possibilities for a host of neat APK side-loading options..May I suggest you also complete a thorough and deep-cleanse virus scan of your mobile device after side-loading the app and ensure all your personal (Tinder etc) and banking apps have the latest security updates installed to minimise risk of malware/data mining trojan infection. Best of luck and keep us updated as to how you get on.

THX, I've cleaned the iPhone 6 thoroughly and it's in great shape (battery still at 95% life per IOS).  No SIM, no nothing running on it other than the FLY app.  This seems to be a common issue as the only positive reports I've seen in multiple forums on using the iPhone 6 is in this this forum.  Most others report similar bad experiences.
Not sure I can sideload on IOS to get an older version nor do I think the older versions are compatible with the MINI 2.

As I said, I refuse to sideload ANYTHING on my daily driver.

THX!
2021-8-9
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

As a last ditch effort before my return window closes I bought the Samsung A7 Lite as it too was on sale.  It worked and then it didn't and just when I was about to give up I found this video () about using a "generic" 64 bit Android 6+ tablet by putting it into developer mode and making some changes that seems to allow the the DJI app to function.

Well it appears to be working as a first level test.  I hope to spend some more time with it later this week.  In fact I also bought this tablet holder in anticipation of success
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't mind spending $125 for a tablet to fly the drone and thus not risk my cell phone or other more expensive device.  Plus I could ensure that all my personal data was absent from access to apps, especially side loaded apps.

Fingers crossed.  I hope it's OK to post links like this in this forum.  If not I'll understand the delete.

2021-10-4
Use props
djiuser_KpwoCTnQ2ejn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 270860 ft
United States

Smokindog Posted at 10-4 14:49
As a last ditch effort before my return window closes I bought the Samsung A7 Lite as it too was on sale.  It worked and then it didn't and just when I was about to give up I found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnVEuGzU3c) about using a "generic" 64 bit Android 6+ tablet by putting it into developer mode and making some changes that seems to allow the the DJI app to function.

Well it appears to be working as a first level test.  I hope to spend some more time with it later this week.  In fact I also bought this tablet holder in anticipation of success
hi, im considering this  Samsung Tab A7 Lite 8.7" and was wondering if your tablet is stil working for you to fly the drone?  i will be using it for flying the mini2 and the air2s.  Any information would be appreciated,  thank you
2021-11-25
Use props
Smokindog
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_KpwoCTnQ2ejn Posted at 11-25 20:55
hi, im considering this  Samsung Tab A7 Lite 8.7" and was wondering if your tablet is stil working for you to fly the drone?  i will be using it for flying the mini2 and the air2s.  Any information would be appreciated,  thank you

Yes it's still working.  You may also want to research this $99 deal I've recently seen.  It appears to be supported but I haven't done any kind of exhaustive search.

SAMSUNG Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Tablet Black - SM-T290NZKAXAR

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/456480508
PS - Samsung recently pushed an update to the A7 lite and I've done no testing with it nor the newer DJI FLy app.  My last flight was about a month ago and was still using all software from the July timeframe.  I say this only because some have said that each update can get wonky when having to to the developer mode work arounds.  I've not seen that but I've also never actually seen a millions dollars

2021-12-8
Use props
red_canyon16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

I've been using the A7 Lite for a couple weeks now. It works great when it isn't high noon and bright outside. Still pretty good though.
2021-12-8
Use props
djiuser_IS3tMCKG9GZ7
lvl.1

United States

i've also read positive reviews of the a7 lite. Just ordered one...we'll see...
2022-1-15
Use props
djiuser_IS3tMCKG9GZ7
lvl.1

United States

Smokindog Posted at 2021-10-4 14:49
As a last ditch effort before my return window closes I bought the Samsung A7 Lite as it too was on sale.  It worked and then it didn't and just when I was about to give up I found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnVEuGzU3c) about using a "generic" 64 bit Android 6+ tablet by putting it into developer mode and making some changes that seems to allow the the DJI app to function.

thank you for this video, I can't wait to try those developer settings
2022-1-15
Use props
ralley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 444094 ft
New Zealand

I use a Samsung A7 Lite tablet occasionally with my Mini 2 and it's been great, no issues for me.  I 3D printed an extension bracket for the controller to hold the tablet.
2022-1-17
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

ralley Posted at 1-17 12:47
I use a Samsung A7 Lite tablet occasionally with my Mini 2 and it's been great, no issues for me.  I 3D printed an extension bracket for the controller to hold the tablet.

Is it the WIFI only or LTE version ?
2022-1-18
Use props
ralley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 444094 ft
New Zealand

MySky Posted at 1-18 13:43
Is it the WIFI only or LTE version ?

I'm on the WIFI only version.
2022-1-19
Use props
red_canyon16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

ralley Posted at 1-19 17:44
I'm on the WIFI only version.

Mine is also the WiFi only version. But, I just turn on the hotspot on my S21 Ultra and it works great.
2022-1-19
Use props
LarryM123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83465 ft
United States

I just got an A7 lite and seems to be working fine. It came with Android 11.  I side loaded the DJI Fly app and installed Donelink from the Play Store. Both work great so far. I was prepared to go into developers settings and change the settings per the video linked earler, but didn't need to. Works fine the way it is.
2022-1-22
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

As the Tab A7 lite LTE is available for a good price again and before i place the order, a last question.

Is it able to playback 4K (30/60 FPS) videos coming from the drone (mini2 / MA2) ?
2022-2-11
Use props
djiuser_qTkKdSVfLHRM
New
Portugal

DJI Paladin Posted at 2021-8-6 20:48

[view_image]

Hi
I recently started fly air 2s with dji fly and galaxy a7 lite. So far so good, but....
Why is a7 lite recording fotos or footage?
Any help would be appreciated.

António
2022-5-7
Use props
djiuser_qTkKdSVfLHRM
New
Portugal

I meant NOT RECORDING
2022-5-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_qTkKdSVfLHRM Posted at 5-7 13:55
Hi
I recently started fly air 2s with dji fly and galaxy a7 lite. So far so good, but....
Why is a7 lite recording fotos or footage?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm if you did experience an error message during the said issue? Can you please provide us a screenshot? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-5-9
Use props
djiuser_OjuKRZAEP0pu
New

Canada

I purchased a Samsung a 7 lite only because the
DJI website lists it as compatible with DJI drones [including mavic air\

When I hook it up it says it is incompatible, and other Internet posts I have looked at since confirm this. What the hell's going on? I also understand you no longer make batteries for the struggle [3 years old and $1000]

What kind of a company is this??

I have been approached by a firm that is enlisting people for a class action suit on this matter. When I get the details, I will post them here.

VERY dissatisfied customer
4-23 11:57
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_OjuKRZAEP0pu Posted at 4-23 11:57
I purchased a Samsung a 7 lite only because the
DJI website lists it as compatible with DJI drones [including mavic air\

Hi there. We are more than glad to help. May we know what error message are you getting? Also please ensure that you have downloaded the correct app, DJI Fly. Here is the link to the official website: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
4-24 03:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules