Gimble slack in a backpack
1249 9 2015-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jaysmusik
lvl.1

United States

Just looking for opinons here. I have a backpack for my P3X. When the thing is on your back it orients the phantom so gravity pulls the gible down. (Like the second part of compass calibration). Anyone see any long term negative effets to the gimble from transporting it this way?
2015-7-25
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can put the gimbal retainer on to make sure that there is no damage.  That would be my recommendation.
2015-7-25
Use props
Jaysmusik
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-26 06:21
You can put the gimbal retainer on to make sure that there is no damage.  That would be my recommend ...

Hey, Thank you for the reply! I have the stock gimble lock in place.  I mean at the four corners where the white rubber is. It still sags in any direction if the P3X is not level. Is there a better gimble lock that supports that as well? I can't help but think it's just not good for it.
2015-7-25
Use props
f.maier
lvl.1

Austria

Normally there will be no damage on the gimbal. At this time there is no gimbal lock itself available from DJI.
As there are no other electric parts , moving parts or connectors there will be no problem with the gimbal moving along the white rubbers.
The two diagonal pins inside two of the rubbers are also holding the gimbal in place so there will not be much pace for the gimbal to move around.
2015-7-25
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

f.maier Posted at 2015-7-26 09:48
Normally there will be no damage on the gimbal. At this time there is no gimbal lock itself availabl ...

Isn't what Ed said sufficient? It's not always the easiest to put on but will do the trick.

You can purchase third party clamps/protectors which are easier to fit and also protect the camera lens.
2015-7-25
Use props
f.maier
lvl.1

Austria

Hello Scotty...

No.. he doesn't mean the Camera Lock.. he means that the complete gimbal ( including the camera clamp ) is moving at the hanging on the gimbal mounting plate ( the 4 withe rubbers ) itself.

The standard Clamp delivered with the Phantom 3 only fixes the Camera Lens but nor the gimbal itself from handing down if the Phantom 3 is carried around verticaly.
2015-7-25
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Interesting.  I keep the camera on the original clamp, including the foam piece in the back.  I also use a backpack that keeps the PH3 on its side.  I never gave the idea of the possibility of the soft rubber balls eventually distorting of time much thought.

A clamp holding the two halves of the gimbal at the proper distance, relieving the pressure off the rubber balls could be fabricated easy enough.  Sounds like a fun project.  : )
2015-7-25
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The vibration isolation balls are user replaceable items.  The pins retain the gimbal from moving too much.  I don't see it as being a large problem unless the backpack were repeatedly dropped and some how the ribbon cable were damaged.  
2015-7-25
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-7-26 12:25
The vibration isolation balls are user replaceable items.  The pins retain the gimbal from moving to ...

Yeah, I would agree.  Probably worth just taking a mental note to check from time to time.  It comes with extras anyway, and they're cheap to replace.
2015-7-25
Use props
Jaysmusik
lvl.1

United States

Good discussion guys. Thanks for chiming in! I found the foam piece in the shipping box. It seems to help quite a bit as long as you face the camera up. Point it down and the rubbers still sag. But as it was pointed out the rubbers are replaceable. Still, if I can minimize wear and tear I want to. Thanks again everyone. This forum is really cool.
2015-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules