Can I fly the Mini 2?
6719 17 2021-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

I have some people telling me that my Samsung Galaxy A21s isn't compatible with the DJI Mini 2 and I therefore cant fly it using that device (even though I can download the DJI Fly App on it). There are people flying DJI drones with older phone models and my phone is the 2020 model. Is it true I can't fly the Mini 2 on the A21s?
2021-8-11
Use props
Frank Alonso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 785049 ft
United States

Well this is what I found on the download page Downloads.   Lets see what others say.  

Recommended devices

Android Version V 1.4.8
Requires Android 6.0 or above.
Samsung Galaxy S21,Samsung Galaxy S20,Samsung Galaxy S10+,Samsung Galaxy S10,Samsung Galaxy S9+,Samsung Galaxy S9 ,Samsung Galaxy S8+,Samsung Galaxy S8,Samsung Galaxy S7 edge,Samsung Galaxy S7,Samsung Galaxy Note20,Samsung Galaxy Note10+ ,Samsung Galaxy Note9,Samsung Galaxy Note8,HUAWEI Mate40 Pro,HUAWEI Mate30 Pro,HUAWEI P40 Pro,HUAWEI P30 Pro,HUAWEI P30,HUAWEI P20,HUAWEI P10,HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro,HUAWEI Mate 10,HUAWEI nova 5,HUAWEI nova 4,HUAWEI nova 3e,Honor 8X,Honor V10,Honor 9,Honor 20 Pro,Honor Magic 2,Mi 11 Pro,Mi 11,Mi 10,Mi 8,Mi MIX 2S,Mi MIX 2,Redmi Note 8,Redmi Note 5,OPPO Find X,OPPO R15,vivo NEX,vivo X27,vivo X21,vivo X20A,OnePlus 9 Pro,OnePlus 9,OnePlus 7,OnePlus 6T,Pixel 4,Pixel 3 XL,Pixel 2 XL,Pixel 2,Pixel,LG V20,LG G6,Sony Xperia 1
2021-8-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not know, but the A21 is a lower performance phone than the S21, which is approved. It looks like the processors are roughly equal but the A21 has a different graphics processor that may not be able to keep up with the faster signals of the Mini 2. Newer isn't necessarily better for this application.
Perhaps there are some users here with experience using that phone.
2021-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Alvara74. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out Upon checking the said mobile device ( Samsung Galaxy A21 ) that your are trying to use on your DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Samsung Galaxy A21 will be able to work on the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mini 2. For reference I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mini 2 ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads ). Thank you.
2021-8-11
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

The  Samsung Galaxy A21s is an ARMv8 64 Bit so in THEORY it will  work.  But since it's not on the approved list by DJI there are not  guarantees.

The reason people with older model  phones or devices can fly OTHER DJI Drones is because they are using DJI  Go 4, which doesn't require a 64Bit processor.
DJI Released a  ENTRY level drone, with an app that was supposedly made for beginners  and not as complicated.  Yet they made sure it required a high end  device
to use it.....  I will let you figure it out the reasoning....

2021-8-11
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mhinc Posted at 8-11 21:15
The  Samsung Galaxy A21s is an ARMv8 64 Bit so in THEORY it will  work.  But since it's not on the approved list by DJI there are not  guarantees.

The reason people with older model  phones or devices can fly OTHER DJI Drones is because they are using DJI  Go 4, which doesn't require a 64Bit processor.

Thanks! I found a thread where a couple of people claimed it worked. Btw, how do you find out if your device is 64-Bit or not?
2021-8-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alvara74 Posted at 8-12 00:10
Thanks! I found a thread where a couple of people claimed it worked. Btw, how do you find out if your device is 64-Bit or not?

You can download an App called Droid Life and it will give you detailed information on your phone.  
2021-8-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-12 04:53
You can download an App called Droid Life and it will give you detailed information on your phone.

Thank you!
2021-8-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mhinc Posted at 8-11 21:15
The  Samsung Galaxy A21s is an ARMv8 64 Bit so in THEORY it will  work.  But since it's not on the approved list by DJI there are not  guarantees.

"The reason people with older model  phones or devices can fly OTHER DJI Drones is because they are using DJI  Go 4, which doesn't require a 64Bit processor."

That is NOT the only reason. If you examine the list of approved phones, there are many compatible older ones for the Fly app (Go5). I sometimes use a 6 year old (2015) Samsung Galaxy S6 with the Fly app for example.
2021-8-12
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

GaryDoug Posted at 8-12 13:41
"The reason people with older model  phones or devices can fly OTHER DJI Drones is because they are using DJI  Go 4, which doesn't require a 64Bit processor."

That is NOT the only reason. If you examine the list of approved phones, there are many compatible older ones for the Fly app (Go5). I sometimes use a 6 year old (2015) Samsung Galaxy S6 with the Fly app for example.

Let me rephrase.  The DJI FLY app requires a ARMv8 64 Bit Processor.  Where the DJI GO 4 doesn't.  So yes there are older model devices that are still 64bit, that will work with the DJI Fly app,  I recently picked up an Asus Zen Tab 8 that does that job.  Either way, the list of compatable devices for the DJI FLY app is far less than DJI GO 4
2021-8-12
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can't see why it wouldn't work, when I purchased my Mini 2 I tried the app  on my Samsung galaxy 5, no chance wouldn't even load, but it's fine with my Phantom3 and the Mimo app, so I bought a Samsung A12 and the Mini 2 works perfectly.
2021-8-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're very welcome.    Have a great welcome
2021-8-13
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dale 68 Posted at 8-12 23:48
I can't see why it wouldn't work, when I purchased my Mini 2 I tried the app  on my Samsung galaxy 5, no chance wouldn't even load, but it's fine with my Phantom3 and the Mimo app, so I bought a Samsung A12 and the Mini 2 works perfectly.

If the A12 works, then I guess the A21s would too, thanks!
2021-8-13
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alvara74 Posted at 8-13 10:53
If the A12 works, then I guess the A21s would too, thanks!

Yes. It is a bit daunting when you need to buy something else not knowing if it will work or not. I did a lot of Googling  on the Samsung A12 as It was nearly half price on Amazon in the prime sale, I asked the question on Argos, and eventually found the answer I was looking for.
2021-8-14
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dale 68 Posted at 8-14 00:10
Yes. It is a bit daunting when you need to buy something else not knowing if it will work or not. I did a lot of Googling  on the Samsung A12 as It was nearly half price on Amazon in the prime sale, I asked the question on Argos, and eventually found the answer I was looking for.

That's a lot of help, thank you!
2021-8-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-11 20:15
Hello there Alvara74. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out Upon checking the said mobile device ( Samsung Galaxy A21 ) that your are trying to use on your DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the said drone and with the said application. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the Samsung Galaxy A21 will be able to work on the DJI Mini 2 and with the DJI Fly application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said drone and with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the DJI Fly application while using it on the DJI Mini 2. For reference I will post a link where in you can check the recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mini 2 ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads ). Thank you.

Why not put a big sticker on the box that says "if you don't have these phones, don't purchase"?
Too easy?
2021-8-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hunterws Posted at 8-14 13:53
Why not put a big sticker on the box that says "if you don't have these phones, don't purchase"?
Too easy?

You are quite the problem solver, aren't you?
Any idea how long that list would be?
And how would you deal with all the phone manufacturers bringing out new models, like the one the OP is asking about?
2021-8-14
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-14 18:32
You are quite the problem solver, aren't you?
Any idea how long that list would be?
And how would you deal with all the phone manufacturers bringing out new models, like the one the OP is asking about?

Precisely the point, wise one.  Everybody else can make compatable apps but this inept company.
I am quite the problem, solver, especially when the problems are obvious.
Make it compatible with the operating system, like every other provider, unless you're dumb or have ulterior motives.
2021-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules