Car charger for P3
2443 24 2015-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I am planning to shoot video covering NE Iowa over the span of 2 or 3 days. I only have 3 batteries, and will be making frequent stops as I travel by car throughout my trip. Any suggestion on a car charger that will work well while traveling via automobile?

Thanks,
Brad

2015-7-26
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ordered one of these from Amazon and it has worked great on my travels. Just my $.02
2015-7-26
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Just placed my order.

Thanks!!!
2015-7-26
Use props
Snerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3117539 ft
United States

I also bought that unit a month ago, and it works great.
2015-7-26
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

Just an FYI you should use a pure sine wave inverter not just one you have shown, if it is not pure sine you will end up frying your batteries after several charges, I know this for a fact it happen to me.
2015-7-27
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a good option for anyone who would prefer a pure sine power inverter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMYRPM0/...linkId=4EHGM6AOZD4VIQRY

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-27
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

+1 for the pure sine wave inverters. They're expensive, but at less than the cost of a new battery, you are really saving yourself some hassle down the line. Invest in a pure sine wave inverter!
2015-7-27
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-27 22:58
Here's a good option for anyone who would prefer a pure sine power inverter:
http://www.amazon.com/g ...

Which one, the 200W or the 400W?
2015-7-27
Use props
tcicatelli
lvl.1

United States

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-7-28 00:33

200 watts at 120 volts is powerful enough to provide 100 watts at 17.4 volts.
2015-7-27
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 200W will be sufficient if you're only going to use the your Phantom charger.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-27
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-7-28 00:33

Get the 200w - I highly doubt your car's socket can pump out more than 200W
2015-7-27
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-7-28 02:06
Get the 200w - I highly doubt your car's socket can pump out more than 200W

Thanks for the responses, the 200w it is.  
2015-7-27
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Hmmm... Well, I have already placed the order. Is it safe for occasional use? I need this for one road trip lasting about 3 days. I will probably recharge in the car about 3 times. But it this will damage the battery, I'll cancel the order if Its not to late.
2015-7-27
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

bradneal24 Posted at 2015-7-28 04:44
Hmmm... Well, I have already placed the order. Is it safe for occasional use? I need this for one ro ...

I have used it for about a month with no issues. Probably a couple times a week at least when I am traveling to my flight site.
2015-7-27
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

bradneal24 Posted at 2015-7-28 04:44
Hmmm... Well, I have already placed the order. Is it safe for occasional use? I need this for one ro ...

Think about it as an investment. If you're planning on doing a few more car journeys with your Phantom in future (or you would like to power other expensive things like laptops), then certainly cancel and invest in a pure sine wave inverter. Otherwise you can probably get away with a few charges, but at the risk of both a reduced battery life and a damaged power brick/charger
2015-7-27
Use props
Khador
lvl.2
Flight distance : 668100 ft
United States

Jkeller84 Posted at 2015-7-28 05:36
I have used it for about a month with no issues. Probably a couple times a week at least when I am ...

I've used a normal modified sine wave inverter without issue for 20+ charges across 4 batteries with no issue. YMMV but I know people who've been charging lipo's off modified sine wave inverters for years with no ill effects.
2015-7-27
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

tk2004hm@netzer Posted at 2015-7-27 22:53
Just an FYI you should use a pure sine wave inverter not just one you have shown, if it is not pure  ...

This makes no sense. How did you fry your batteries? I think I am going to have to look at the output and see if there is any difference in the charger between pure and modified sine wave. The charger is a switching power supply... and is multi frequency and vlotage... The sine wave should make no difference....
2015-7-27
Use props
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
United States

200w pure sine will prob work, however youre running that inverter to the max.
its like as if your cars top speed is 200klm/h and youre driving at 200klm/h!
therefore it is best give the inverter some headroom and get a 300w inverter or greater.
This advice is directly from an electrician.
Also any inverter greater than 150w should not be plugged into the cigarette lighter in your car.
anything more than 150w should be connected directly to the car battery via an extention lead or similar.
if you running a 200w inverter to the max and its plugged into the cigarette lighter you run the risk of overheating the factory wiring and possibly causing a fire anywhere between the car battery and the cigarette lighter port
If you disagree contact your car manufacturer and see for yourself.

This is just my advice so you dont set your car on fire or kill your inverter prematurely.
If you wanna save yourself the $$ by buying a low wattage inverter then it may cost you more in the long run.
just my 2 cents...

(i have 300w pure sine with extention cable direct to battery- no problems with this config)
2015-7-27
Use props
ranges
lvl.3

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-7-28 11:50
This makes no sense. How did you fry your batteries? I think I am going to have to look at the outp ...

A square wave will toast some electronic devices.
2015-7-27
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

Well maybe I did not so much fry the battery it self but as ranges said the electronics in the battery got toasted, I am going by what I was told by an electronic geek, I don't know that much about it myself just that it cost me $400 worth of battery for the cheap inverter, I now use a pure sine and have had no problems to date. I was only telling you what happen to me and I was lucky the two I fried were not in my UAV and quit working, it was only an FYI take it as you want just trying to save others from the cost of new batteries.
2015-7-28
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

I did get this same inverter but the 400W http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=4EHGM6AOZD4VIQRY and only hook direct to my battery, you can also buy a cheap small battery like I did and use it and not have to have your stuff sitting on the front of your car.
2015-7-28
Use props
PaulSimisterPho
lvl.1

United Kingdom

How much drain is there on the car battery? I don't want to kill my car battery from charging the P3 pro battery
2015-7-29
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

PaulSimisterPho Posted at 2015-7-29 16:50
How much drain is there on the car battery? I don't want to kill my car battery from charging the P3 ...

Depending on how many you charge, my guess is it will suck the juice from your car. I was going to use mine while traveling from location to location, so no real concern there.
2015-7-29
Use props
tk2004hm
lvl.2

United States

I have recharged all 5 of my batteries (48's) with no problem, but I do start my truck for  a little, and run the AC to help cool down the batteries that I just pulled out of P3P or V1, but then I got a cheap smaller battery that I use so I would not have to use the truck battery it has recharged 5 of the V1 48's with no problem that is the most I have tried so far, it may do more but 10 battery changes is enough for me.
2015-7-29
Use props
PaulSimisterPho
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Cool, thanks guys.
2015-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules