Pocket 2 is grainy with all settings
5918 19 2021-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

DJI Pocket 2 is a big frustration for me. Grainy, grainy and grainy...
I tried it with all settings. Full auto and Pro. Grainy even in the sun (especially sky).
Do you have any solution for this issue?

2021-8-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please send us a sample image or video showing the issue for better assistance? Please keep us posted. Thank you!
2021-8-22
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The higher the ISO, the greater the grain. What ISO are the images or video. As you didn't mention, is this video or photo. Shutter speed can also be a factor as lack of camera stability leads to blur and perceived grain. Full information is important to troubleshooting.
2021-8-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you shooting photos or videos when you experience this issue?  What ISO did you have set?  Lots of settings can increase grain.
2021-8-22
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

Hi again,

I have uploaded a sample video on Youtube. Link: https://youtu.be/U2B19p2cf-U

This video was shot in pro mode. I only changed exposure settings a bit. It can seem normal  a bit on a 19 inches monitor, but i can see very much grains when i watch on a 40 inches TV. (Especially on sea and sky)
I will upload a few videos more tomorrow with other settings.

I use PRO mod. ISO is always 100 in the sun. I usually shot 4k/30 fps. I try to change shutter speed to 1/60 fps, but it seems pure white. Therefore, I change shutter speed to higher value or change exposure to lower value. I tried many different scenarios. I am confused.

Thanks to all replies..
2021-8-22
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

My personal opinion, any ordinary smart phone can shot video more quality than this camera.
Gimbal property of Pocket2 is five stars, but shooting quality is terrible. I'm not sure if a polarizer or ND filter can improve the quality. That's why I don't want to spend more for this camera.
I don't recommend to any professional or amateur jobs.
2021-9-9
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Fvz Posted at 9-9 04:19
My personal opinion, any ordinary smart phone can shot video more quality than this camera.
Gimbal property of Pocket2 is five stars, but shooting quality is terrible. I'm not sure if a polarizer or ND filter can improve the quality. That's why I don't want to spend more for this camera.

This video of yours don't show me any noise or grain problem so I wonder what you are seeing as problem.
2021-9-9
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

I explained above. If you watch it on phone, tablet or 19 inches monitor, you can't see grains and compression artifacts. But if you watch on a TV, you can see thousands of them in the sky. And, this video is one the best videos. I have worse videos.
2021-9-9
Use props
Arc Light
lvl.4
Canada

Curious if you are shooting in Battery Saver mode or Super Fine Mode?  I see all sorts of grain in Battery Saver mode but It’s clean in Superfine Mode.  I would also recommend using ND filters when shooting in bright sun light, you don’t want to crank up the shutter speed because you will get motion that has a sharp shutter and it won’t have natural movement.
2021-9-9
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Let's look at this logically.  

Before purchase, presumably you watched at least some of the thousands of end-user videos on YouTube.  Presumably you were happy with what you saw.  Therefore, if the results you are getting fall short of what other people are getting, either you are using the camera incorrectly, or your camera is defective.  In either event, returning it would seem to be the best option.  But based on the clip you have uploaded, I doubt whether the retailer would accept that there is a problem compared to expectations based on available samples online.
2021-9-9
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

Arc Light Posted at 9-9 14:21
Curious if you are shooting in Battery Saver mode or Super Fine Mode?  I see all sorts of grain in Battery Saver mode but It’s clean in Superfine Mode.  I would also recommend using ND filters when shooting in bright sun light, you don’t want to crank up the shutter speed because you will get motion that has a sharp shutter and it won’t have natural movement.

I tried both. Yes, super fine mode is better, but grainy again. I think any camera must shoot without grain in the sun even with full automatic mode.
2021-9-9
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

fansfe82067d Posted at 9-9 16:37
Let's look at this logically.  

Before purchase, presumably you watched at least some of the thousands of end-user videos on YouTube.  Presumably you were happy with what you saw.  Therefore, if the results you are getting fall short of what other people are getting, either you are using the camera incorrectly, or your camera is defective.  In either event, returning it would seem to be the best option.  But based on the clip you have uploaded, I doubt whether the retailer would accept that there is a problem compared to expectations based on available samples online.

I have a Canon 200D and no problem with it in same conditions.

I tried all scenarios:

4K 60/50/30/25/24 fps
2.7K 60/50/30/25/24 fps
1080P 60/50/30/25/24 fps
Battery Save / High Quality Mode

Only Slow Motion modes have no grain.
2021-9-9
Use props
djiuser_c2uqPo3cq9Lo
New
Flight distance : 17238 ft
Ireland

I’m another customer that upgraded from OsmoPocket to Pocket 2 and think the video quality on the new version is close to useless. It’s never going to be great in low light but even on a well-lit day any object not in the full glare of sunlight has tons of grain, far worse than, say, my iPhone 11, and certainly not an improvement in OsmoPocket 1. I don’t know if the problem is just the sensor: I think the firmware must be lousy too. Not only do I warn friends to AVOID Pocket 2, but it’s the last of this line of gadgets I’ll purchase from DJI — the focusing is jumpy and unreliable, the face-tracking is much worse than on the OsmoPocket 1 (actually useless, and still no firmware fix in sight), and it’s just too expensive, even without all the dangling extras. DJI have done some great innovating recently in the camera sphere; but sadly they don’t care about their Osmo/Pocket customers.
2022-3-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Certainly the face tracking is generally acknowleged as being below the Pocket 1 standard.  Quite a few people say that they prefer the picture quality of the Pocket 1, often mentioning colour rendering.  But this grain problem doesn't seem to be widely encountered.  Some respected reviewers consider that the Pocket 2 is the best compact camera on the market, and certainly (overall) the best gimbal camera.  I do wonder whether there are a few lemons out there, and maybe you've got one.  Do you have any videos online showing the problem you encounter with grain?
2022-3-25
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-25 05:43
Certainly the face tracking is generally acknowleged as being below the Pocket 1 standard.  Quite a few people say that they prefer the picture quality of the Pocket 1, often mentioning colour rendering.  But this grain problem doesn't seem to be widely encountered.  Some respected reviewers consider that the Pocket 2 is the best compact camera on the market, and certainly (overall) the best gimbal camera.  I do wonder whether there are a few lemons out there, and maybe you've got one.  Do you have any videos online showing the problem you encounter with grain?

I wonder why you are defending this product. This product has many problems. As I said above, the gimbal is good, shooting quality is terrible.
2022-3-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Fvz Posted at 3-25 06:15
I wonder why you are defending this product. This product has many problems. As I said above, the gimbal is good, shooting quality is terrible.

You are making these statements as if they are a universally acknowledged fact.  The majority of owners would disagree with you. There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of Pocket 2 videos on YouTube.  They are not inundated with adverse comments about the camera quality.  I think it is for you to defend your statements with examples and evidence of a consensus which supports your view (with the exception of the tracking issue which is indeed widely documented).
2022-3-25
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-25 13:13
You are making these statements as if they are a universally acknowledged fact.  The majority of owners would disagree with you. There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of Pocket 2 videos on YouTube.  They are not inundated with adverse comments about the camera quality.  I think it is for you to defend your statements with examples and evidence of a consensus which supports your view (with the exception of the tracking issue which is indeed widely documented).

Youtube videos cannot be considered as valid criteria as they are susceptible to manipulation.
Maybe you are a DJI fan and you think DJI company is flawless. However, the truth is that I have a Pocket 2 and it is a failed product.
2022-3-25
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Fvz Posted at 3-25 21:49
Youtube videos cannot be considered as valid criteria as they are susceptible to manipulation.
Maybe you are a DJI fan and you think DJI company is flawless. However, the truth is that I have a Pocket 2 and it is a failed product.

That's why warranty is.

And Youtube is compressed videos. Always upload Original file from the device.

My Pocket 2 is very good image quality when looking at price, lens and Sony IMX686 1/1.7 image sensor.

If you have faulty unit then use its warranty.

Canon EOS 200D has APS-C image sensor and can be attached serious prime lenses. You can't compare it in any ways.

Maybe take some learning or technical course about Gain, Iris, Lens, Light and Imaging sensors.
2022-3-26
Use props
Fvz
lvl.1

Turkey

Aavalaakso Posted at 3-26 00:18
That's why warranty is.

And Youtube is compressed videos. Always upload Original file from the device.

hmmm, ok..
2022-3-26
Use props
djiuser_3jGLuCmSoh2p
lvl.1

Bulgaria

Fvz Posted at 2021-9-9 04:19
Not true at all !!!
Pocket 2 is amazing 4k camera and many people with A LOT more knowledge about semi professional and professional cameras than me compared this tiny gadget with cameras around 1200€ and sometimes even 1500€ price range.
But there is some tricks,if ,,you" want to squeeze the best quality from P2 ,no doubt about that.
Also it is very good to invest some money in
ND-PL Filters.
But even iPhone 13 Max Pro can't make so nice looking 4K videos because the colors of P2 are more natural and 4K is not so artificially
oversharped like the iphone 13 Max Pro.
My advice to anyone, who is not happy with the 4K quality of P2 is to start watching YouTube channels about how to use properly P2 and which settings are the best for day and night filming.
It takes some time to learn, how to use Pocket 2,butI am sure, that at the end,,,you" will be more than happy  !
Good luck  
2022-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules