DJI Ronin Battery Explosion
1625 4 2015-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mmoss7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 788537 ft
United States

I purchased a DJI Ronin from B&H which arrived 5/13/15. The unit has been working flawlessly after a moderate learning curve. On 7/24/15 I used the Ronin for about an hour an a half between configuration and test shots. After another 40 minutes of sitting in the stand while powered on, I powered down and put the battery on the charger. Approximately 1 hour later the batter exploded and caught fire. Caught fire in a OH MY GOD thats a fire! My case got scorched pretty good and two 5 inch inch diameter burn marks on the hardwood floor.

Has this happened to anyone?

Luckily no one was hurt and no other gear damaged. The battery and the Ronin have been babied and the battery showed no signs of failure or malfunction. Absolutely no damage or drops. This thing exploded like a acid filled grenade. I inhaled way more than I should have I am sure in my haste to make sure it did not burn down the house. Seriously dangerous. I am a prayerful man on occasion and believe me I was giving thanks that this did not go all the way wrong.

I am sincerely hoping that this was some sort of rare manufacturing error and that this is an isolated incident. I have heard of LiPo batteries exploding and know of the safety warnings that come with them. This thing scares me. I won't charge it anywhere from here out except on concrete in a secure fireproof way. A Smart Battery management failure perhaps? Bad charging practices?  The unit was plugged into a standard house receptacle and the circuit has not tripped or given any issue prior or since with any other things plugged into it.

2015-7-27
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Hi, Sir,

Could you please give me your email address so that I can contact you?
2015-7-27
Use props
mmoss7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 788537 ft
United States

DJI-Cathy Posted at 2015-7-28 10:23
Hi, Sir,

Could you please give me your email address so that I can contact you?

mmoss7@gmail.com
2015-7-28
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

OK, we will contact you
2015-7-28
Use props
saihernan
New

Argentina

I´m having strange malfunctions with the battery and unit itself (also bought in B&H New York, just 1 month ago). The unit is not starting when I have charged the batteries for hours. I have started charging both batts normally (had tried it for days only inside my studio only) and the same happened to the two: the leds went off, nothing, no white, red, green light on them. I then put the batteries on the ronin, it blinked a couple of times. dead. nothing. While I was charging the batteries again, I searched and just read this post. I´m afraid to burn my studio now! Please contact me to saihernan@yahoo.com if that is a known issue. I need the Ronin for a future feature doc to be shot in Africa!

Thanks in advance, regards! Hernán
2015-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules