Air2s range issue
5447 26 2021-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm
lvl.2

Malaysia

Im staying at Malaysia and most of the air2s owner including me having range issue. i owned a mini2 and it's easily reach 4-5km but Air2s just 1.4km for max.
it's stated occusyc 3.0 with 4 antenna, max 8km in CE region, but come on? 1.4km and getting weaker video transmission vs mini2is dji will come out with updated firmware to fix it?
2021-9-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please fly your DJI Air 2S to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist and may we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

2021-9-7
Use props
djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm
lvl.2

Malaysia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-7 19:23
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please fly your DJI Air 2S to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist and may we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission. Thank you.

[view_image]

thx Stephen. i would said nothing to do on magnectic field inteference. we fly in group with diff drone on same location. there is mini2, air2 and it's make 5km minimum for this two model. however, only DJI FPV and air2s coudnt exceed 1.5km.

so i dont think it's a inteference issue. i'm using Mate20pro. we tested with iphone and android phone
2021-9-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 9-7 19:27
thx Stephen. i would said nothing to do on magnectic field inteference. we fly in group with diff drone on same location. there is mini2, air2 and it's make 5km minimum for this two model. however, only DJI FPV and air2s coudnt exceed 1.5km.

so i dont think it's a inteference issue. i'm using Mate20pro. we tested with iphone and android phone

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Could you please check the things below first?
1. Please check your transmission channel first, in which you can see the interference condition. We recommend you test in a place with less interference and green lines. Apart from that, please pay attention to the noise interference volume as well. The vertical axis ranges from -60 to 100. The more nearly the volume close to -100, the better the channel is. Not every open and extensive place is free from interference.   
2. Please choose "Auto" mode in the channel model.
3. Please tap "Take off permitted" and check the hint. There will be "good " or "bad" appears on the fourth blank concerning the channel quality. Please do not fly your drone far away from you.  
4. We recommend you continuously care about the directions of the antennas even during the flight.
2021-9-7
Use props
djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm
lvl.2

Malaysia

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-7 23:52
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Could you please check the things below first?
1. Please check your transmission channel first, in which you can see the interference condition. We recommend you test in a place with less interference and green lines. Apart from that, please pay attention to the noise interference volume as well. The vertical axis ranges from -60 to 100. The more nearly the volume close to -100, the better the channel is. Not every open and extensive place is free from interference.   
2. Please choose "Auto" mode in the channel model.

Dear Wanda ,

thank you for your reply, the tranmission page is all green , and it's always on Auto.

We've been advised by local dealer to file warranty but it doenst help even they replace a new unit. and we've been advise it's related to current firmware
2021-9-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 9-7 23:56
Dear Wanda ,

thank you for your reply, the tranmission page is all green , and it's always on Auto.

Hello, there. For now, we have not heard that there is a known firmware issue concerning the transmission image. If this bothers you most, you could apply for repair and send it back.  Should there be anything we can help you with, please feel free to talk.
2021-9-8
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 9-7 23:56
Dear Wanda ,

thank you for your reply, the tranmission page is all green , and it's always on Auto.

You are most likely correct, it may be a firmware issue.
Dji doesn't seem to want to fix the problem.
The range is garbage. I sent my smart controller in to dji for repair/warranty and they advised nothing was wrong with it.
Not only is the range garbage, the smart controller will lock up in flight causing a RTH while I power off my controller and re-start it. When I use the regular controller in the same location I have NO problems.
I would not recommend anyone waste money on the smart controller.

2021-9-8
Use props
djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm
lvl.2

Malaysia

DJI Wanda Posted at 9-8 04:09
Hello, there. For now, we have not heard that there is a known firmware issue concerning the transmission image. If this bothers you most, you could apply for repair and send it back.  Should there be anything we can help you with, please feel free to talk.

i think you all need to start check with dealer~ we saw massive complaint and disapointment on this new product. while comercial saying 12km max distance, 8km on CE regioun but actual is less than 2km.......you can trace complaints or dealer feedback in malaysia. both DJI FPV and Air2s deserve a better range than 2km

appreciate if DJI can really look into this issue. it's should be high end product but turns out worse than 100bucks non branded drone ( in terms of range)
2021-9-8
Use props
djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm
lvl.2

Malaysia

TP-FPV Posted at 9-8 05:05
You are most likely correct, it may be a firmware issue.
Dji doesn't seem to want to fix the problem.
The range is garbage. I sent my smart controller in to dji for repair/warranty and they advised nothing was wrong with it.

well, as you can see, they "dont think" and "dont receive" any feedback about firmware issue.......gosh. in my group, i have a least 5-6 person keep sending feedback to DJI but there is totally no response, imagine from whole Malaysia...whole world....i believe many more pilots are sending their complaints
2021-9-8
Use props
rpguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5738396 ft
United States

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 9-8 05:17
well, as you can see, they "dont think" and "dont receive" any feedback about firmware issue.......gosh. in my group, i have a least 5-6 person keep sending feedback to DJI but there is totally no response, imagine from whole Malaysia...whole world....i believe many more pilots are sending their complaints

What about sending the flight records from both the Mini2 and your Air2S, from the same location, identical flight paths, and same day flight for DJI to compare ? Just a thought/suggestion.
2021-9-8
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Air2S is the drone with the best connection atm due to it having 4 antennas on the drone... the problem is not the drone, is the CE regulation instead.

CE mode is a crap, expect roughly the same performance of the Mini 2, a bit better actually, but more or less the same. The main problem in CE mode is that the 5.8Ghz band is not even usable due to it's low power restrictions, so you'll always fly in 2.4Ghz, which has a lot o interference in populated areas.

The cheapest and best solution is to force FCC mode using the DH program. FCC increases the power in the 2.4Ghz band from 100mW (20dBm) to 400mW (26dBm) and in the 5.8Ghz band from 25mW (14dBm) to 400mW (26dBm). With FCC mode activated, the dual band/multichannel will be usable, and you'll have solid 4-5 bar connection no matter what under 1Km and excellent performance from there on, reaching way beyond it's battery limitation in uninterferenced environment.

So in resume, in FCC mode you have x4 the power in 2.4Ghz and x16 the power on 5.8Ghz... So yep, the best accessory you'll ever buy for your drone.

FCC mode, dual band on, multichannel on, airplane mode on the controller... and you'll never have connection problems again, it's almost like flying with 4G connection XD
2021-9-8
Use props
djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm
lvl.2

Malaysia

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 9-8 18:07
Air2S is the drone with the best connection atm due to it having 4 antennas on the drone... the problem is not the drone, is the CE regulation instead.

CE mode is a crap, expect roughly the same performance of the Mini 2, a bit better actually, but more or less the same. The main problem in CE mode is that the 5.8Ghz band is not even usable due to it's low power restrictions, so you'll always fly in 2.4Ghz, which has a lot o interference in populated areas.

the sad things is in commercial it said 8km for CE region, so i assume i get high inteference and divide the range to half, 4 will be good enough....but now less than 2km.
as i said, mini2 can hit 5km without issue in our country.....so it's doesnt make sense
2021-9-8
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 9-8 18:09
the sad things is in commercial it said 8km for CE region, so i assume i get high inteference and divide the range to half, 4 will be good enough....but now less than 2km

In optimal conditions you can fly to the limit of the battery or a bit more, no doubt in CE mode you can reach 8Km from the top of a mountain in an area free of interference, with a clear line of sight and a battery mod at 120m altitude, but that's not the average flight.

On real conditions in cE mode the range is about 2-4Km, just like the mini 2, and don't expect the connection to be any good past 1-2Km. Although I was able to fly the Mini 2 at 4Km and the 2S at 6.5Km I had lots of disconnections every flight and the flight was just a straight line.

But in FCC mode you have rock solid connection all the time. Signal penetration is good, even at long range, and the drone is able to fly well in interference areas due to its dual band/multichannel capabilities.

If you like long range, just pick the hack, it's just awesome.

PS: I also noticed Air2S having less range than the Mini 2 at the begining, but after a few updates it improved a bit.
2021-9-8
Use props
SjK_oldman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73583045 ft
United States

Air 2s has worse range than Air 2 and mini 2
2021-9-11
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 9-8 05:16
i think you all need to start check with dealer~ we saw massive complaint and disapointment on this new product. while comercial saying 12km max distance, 8km on CE regioun but actual is less than 2km.......you can trace complaints or dealer feedback in malaysia. both DJI FPV and Air2s deserve a better range than 2km

appreciate if DJI can really look into this issue. it's should be high end product but turns out worse than 100bucks non branded drone ( in terms of range)

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience and any misleading. Would you please screenshot the firmware version interface in the APP for us? We want to further verify the issue.
2021-9-12
Use props
djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm
lvl.2

Malaysia

2021-9-13
Use props
phuc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765906 ft
Australia

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 2021-9-7 23:56
Dear Wanda ,

Don't waste time with dji support, they told me to check transmission which I found the dbm meter is under -98 dm to -110dbm, I hacked the firmware, i found the firmware on the new is radio under powered these dji support services are noobs employees I go through them many times, to get real support they would have to transfer to engineerings department to get the dbm amplified via a firmware update even the mavic 2 can do 4km with 4 bars

Air 2s fails at 2.6 km at full 5 bars then,...for no reason it cuts off and takes longer to reconnect
2023-4-23
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I know when I fly my Air2S I have tested it out to the most about 3 miles out and I had great signal yet.  I know I have to have it in line of sight, but I am doing it over private land and I had a couple spotters.  We did it over farm fields do there was no interference from buildings and power lines or anything.
2023-4-23
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

Shawgod Posted at 4-23 08:29
I know when I fly my Air2S I have tested it out to the most about 3 miles out and I had great signal yet.  I know I have to have it in line of sight, but I am doing it over private land and I had a couple spotters.  We did it over farm fields do there was no interference from buildings and power lines or anything.

I am getting less than 1 mile in my neighborhood (where I suspect is a lot of interference) and at most 1 mile in another area just woods and water.  And when it got that far, it auto returned for low battery and it auto landed literally 10 feet above the home point.  Then again I had it full throttle the whole flight.

This may be a noobie question, but I order it straight from DJI, I'm in the U.S., yet I seem to be getting the shorter ranges, even shorter, than the CE pilots here.

How can I check to see if it's in fact in FCC mode, which it should be?
2023-4-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dr6583 Posted at 4-24 21:33
I am getting less than 1 mile in my neighborhood (where I suspect is a lot of interference) and at most 1 mile in another area just woods and water.  And when it got that far, it auto returned for low battery and it auto landed literally 10 feet above the home point.  Then again I had it full throttle the whole flight.

This may be a noobie question, but I order it straight from DJI, I'm in the U.S., yet I seem to be getting the shorter ranges, even shorter, than the CE pilots here.

Auto return because of a low battery is not a control range problem, it is a safety feature.
Try the same flight with a fully charged battery.
It is presumably just a typo.... but if not...... how do you "it auto landed literally 10 feet above the home point."?
2023-4-25
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

dr6583 Posted at 4-24 21:33

I didn't do a RTH on this test.  I landed it out in the field.  I had remote spotters.  I had no intention of the drone coming back to me.  I only had the intention of seeing how far out I could fly the drone before I lost signal and the battery almost was totally out.  I was at 120' in the air to make sure I avoided all trees and ground obstacles.  But I had someone at the other end who picked it up for me.  I did run the test a second time and I was able to get out to the same distance 3 miles.  I was happy with the performance.  I was able to do a flight like this because I had spotters along the full flight path.  In Urban settings I wouldnt expect in no way to get distance like this.  Someone turns on a microwave, talks on their cell phone, other drones, TV signals, and a whole bunch of other things can distort your signals.  The best thing I have found for this situation is try to stay in the 5 ghz field for transmission.  I would be careful flyiong it out a mile anyway, remember you have to keep in line of sight.  Or get yourself some spotters.
2023-4-25
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-25 01:02
Auto return because of a low battery is not a control range problem, it is a safety feature.
Try the same flight with a fully charged battery.
It is presumably just a typo.... but if not...... how do you "it auto landed literally 10 feet above the home point."?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. During an auto RTH for battery, when got straight above the home point and in descent, at 10’ it hit critical battery and initiated an auto land

My point was at least in this case the drone knew —exactly— when to initiate the first battery RTH since it —exactly— enough to battery to reach the home point. Seems to me it should return including a margin of error this is a little too close for comfort.
2023-4-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dr6583 Posted at 4-25 13:03
Sorry for the misunderstanding. During an auto RTH for battery, when got straight above the home point and in descent, at 10’ it hit critical battery and initiated an auto land

My point was at least in this case the drone knew —exactly— when to initiate the first battery RTH since it —exactly— enough to battery to reach the home point. Seems to me it should return including a margin of error this is a little too close for comfort.

Do you have the flight log for this flight? If so would you post it?
It would, I think, be interesting to see the log because, although I do not have an "air" drone of any sort, I think you are correct and that was "too close for comfort".
With my drones low battery RTH seems to be designed to get the drone home and on the ground with battery charge to spare.
I am curious to see if anything happened during the RTH that caused unexpected power use e.g. head winds or significant OA action etc. etc..
2023-4-25
Use props
phuc
lvl.3
Australia

djiuser_gMplUe7Pudbm Posted at 2021-9-7 19:27
thx Stephen. i would said nothing to do on magnectic field inteference. we fly in group with diff drone on same location. there is mini2, air2 and it's make 5km minimum for this two model. however, only DJI FPV and air2s coudnt exceed 1.5km.

Please turn OFF Bluetooth this is radio technology and will cause interference

Go to the phone app store and install fake GPS and point to the center of United States map and press play, this will let you have a stable transmission both on 2.4 and 5.8

please turn off mobile or tablet Wi-Fi this includes 2.4 and 5.8 as it will interfere with your DJI transmission this includes any other drone transmission as most drone use 2.4 or 5.8 since they are the same transmission they will interfere with each other

Please turn off your mobile sim that is also another mobile Wi-Fi exchange, in order to do that you must turn on flight mode

Once you have received 11 satellites and updated your homepoint is also updated and you are certain on the app map you are certain it is there and updated near your homepoint you can disconnect mobile data and enable flight mode on mobile this prevents hackers from intercepting your connection or anyone else sniffing your transmission, turn it off please

20230430-192941.jpg
2023-4-30
Use props
phuc
lvl.3
Australia

Shawgod Posted at 4-25 10:25
I didn't do a RTH on this test.  I landed it out in the field.  I had remote spotters.  I had no intention of the drone coming back to me.  I only had the intention of seeing how far out I could fly the drone before I lost signal and the battery almost was totally out.  I was at 120' in the air to make sure I avoided all trees and ground obstacles.  But I had someone at the other end who picked it up for me.  I did run the test a second time and I was able to get out to the same distance 3 miles.  I was happy with the performance.  I was able to do a flight like this because I had spotters along the full flight path.  In Urban settings I wouldnt expect in no way to get distance like this.  Someone turns on a microwave, talks on their cell phone, other drones, TV signals, and a whole bunch of other things can distort your signals.  The best thing I have found for this situation is try to stay in the 5 ghz field for transmission.  I would be careful flyiong it out a mile anyway, remember you have to keep in line of sight.  Or get yourself some spotters.

Please turn OFF Bluetooth this is radio technology and will cause interference

Go to the phone app store and install fake GPS and point to the center of United States map and press play, this will let you have a stable transmission both on 2.4 and 5.8

please turn off mobile or tablet Wi-Fi this includes 2.4 and 5.8 as it will interfere with your DJI transmission this includes any other drone transmission as most drone use 2.4 or 5.8 since they are the same transmission they will interfere with each other

Please turn off your mobile sim that is also another mobile Wi-Fi exchange, in order to do that you must turn on flight mode

Once you have received 11 satellites and updated your homepoint is also updated and you are certain on the app map you are certain it is there and updated near your homepoint you can disconnect mobile data and enable flight mode on mobile this prevents hackers from intercepting your connection or anyone else sniffing your transmission, turn it off please

20230430-192941.jpg
2023-4-30
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-25 16:33
Do you have the flight log for this flight? If so would you post it?
It would, I think, be interesting to see the log because, although I do not have an "air" drone of any sort, I think you are correct and that was "too close for comfort".
With my drones low battery RTH seems to be designed to get the drone home and on the ground with battery charge to spare.

Sorry I haven't gotten around to posting the logs yet.  Been pretty busy.  I'll try to post them later this evening.
2023-5-5
Use props
Irrelevantmonky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2170174 ft
United Kingdom

no issues at all in CE mode for me, full signal the entire time but then was on the coast and had risen to nearly 400ft, only came back at 3.2km as didn't have any spotters further along & lots of seaguls just after that point.

3.2km

3.2km
2023-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules