How to Get Wanted Updates to Firmware ...
999 7 2021-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Appears that DJI's is obsessed with creating "new" and "improved" hardware, pretty much ignoring the existing users' concerns. I finally figured out that there is no profit in firmware updates. And, if the existing devices are satisfactory, no one will need the latest / greatest!

Maybe if we promised to pay for the needed firmware/software updates, like with Windows!

2021-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Exactly right....no money made in firmware updates. Appears a few initial bugs are fixed and then move on to the next hardware version.
2021-9-9
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-9 05:32
Exactly right....no money made in firmware updates. Appears a few initial bugs are fixed and then move on to the next hardware version.

Yup!

We're up to Osmo Mobile 5 and countless Mavic variations.
2021-9-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curt1591 Posted at 9-9 13:23
Yup!

We're up to Osmo Mobile 5 and countless Mavic variations.

Appears DJI has no plans to change their business model anytime soon.  
2021-9-10
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I kind of see the point here, but I'm not completely thrilled about the thought process of "First pay us +500 euros to buy the camera, and then pay us more to make it actually work like it should!"

The attitude of releasing half-baked products and presuming they can fix them later with a hardware update (if they bother doing that) is a problem that many companies are guilty of nowadays, and these should be fixed with pro-consumer laws. Of course, the customers also expressing their dissatisfaction (and voting with their wallets if needed) are also important.
2021-9-12
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

"voting with their wallets "

Unfortunately, people today are obsessed with "the latest and greatest"!
2021-9-12
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 9-12 13:39
"voting with their wallets "

Unfortunately, people today are obsessed with "the latest and greatest"!

If DJI had more competition then they might be more inclined to listen to feedback. DJI do make good hardware but the software developement is way behind. Its like they only have one team of developers and they only work on one thing at a time.
2021-9-12
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

AlanHd Posted at 9-12 14:13
If DJI had more competition then they might be more inclined to listen to feedback. DJI do make good hardware but the software developement is way behind. Its like they only have one team of developers and they only work on one thing at a time.

DJI has plenty of competition. However, DJI's hardware seems superior or at least perceived so. I wonder how their competitors' software compares.

I think the biggest disappointment seems to come from those that expect features that were not advertised. Most come from vloggers.

If I was a narcissist, I would probably consider the OM5 to the Pocket for vlogging. But, for my time lapses and video mind-farts, the Pocket does just fine

Blackmagic has developed hacks that allow different cameras to better utilize "hidden" features. Seems to me that a third-party company could make some money developing hacks for the Pockets.

As for DJI, their engineers seem so busy developing software/firmware for the new products to deal with already "functioning" devices

2021-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules