Terrible video feed and connection issues since last update
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ntxbowhunter13
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

When I first got my phantom the video feed was smooth as ever.  Never had any issues with disconnections or anything.  I sold my phantom 3 advanced so I could get the pro and both quads were experiencing the same thing.  I've even had it disconnect while I was flying but luckily the craft was close enough I could steer it back to me without using the live feed.  The video feed almost never works correctly now, I'm almost reluctant to even fly anymore which is a bummer.  How soon will a fix be coming and/or is there a good way to drop back down to a previous firmware?  Thanks.

2015-7-28
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would be happy to help you work through your video problems, as I have dealt with this personally.  Need more information from you regarding your setup and flying conditions including:  your mobile device, ambient temperature when you were experiencing problems, video initially OK but deteriorated rapidly after several minutes?, exact nature of video issues (pixilation, frozen images, screen blackout, DJI Pilot app frozen, complete mobile device shutdown?, etc.

I can tell you it is possible with current firmware to get flawless HD Link video - even out to 4+ km under ideal conditions.  Achieving this will require close attention to equipment setup/configuration, some software setting changes and, possibly, a change in the mobile device you are using.  In past three weeks, I have made multiple long-distance runs between 7500 and 13,820 feet with flawless HD Link video from beginning to end, so it is possible.

See my post for background on my initial problems with poor HD Link video performance: http://forum.dji.com/thread-22281-1-1.html

Here are the key points to achieving reliable HD Link video with current firmware version 1.2.6:

1) The DJI Pilot app is CPU intensive and will tax even the highest end mobile devices.  For many devices, and this includes most Android devices (based on reports from other pilots), the iPad Mini 2/3 and iPhone 6, the DJI Pilot app can cause the device to heat up after just several minutes of live video, which can cause the device to throttle its CPU speed resulting in pixelated image, stuttering video or even a complete loss of video. On a 90F+ day, my iPad Mini 3 will overheat and start throttling CPU causing pixelated, stuttering video after only 4-6 minutes. However, with my iPad Air 2, which has a faster processor and graphics co-processor, I can fly up to three 15 to 18-minute flights back-to-back without overheating the device so long as I take precautions in points 2) and 3), below.
ADVICE: If you have only been using Android devices to date, consider borrowing a friend's iPad Air 2 to see if it works better for you.

2) High ambient temperatures above 90 degrees F can aggravate problem #1, leading to even a faster onset of poor HD Link video performance as device starts heating up and then throttling its CPU.  Apple iOS devices are rated for maximum operating temperature of 95F.  Android devices have similar operating temperature limits. So, if it's 98+ degrees F where you are, this is going to be a problem/challenge.  ADVICE:  On hot days, keep your mobile device in the shade of a tree, or try pre-cooling it in an insulated bag with a blue ice type cooling gel pad.

3) Direct sunlight on the mobile device screen can rapidly cause high device operating temperatures and CPU throttling even at ambient temperatures as low as 80 degrees F.  So, use a sun hood to keep mobile device display out of direct sunlight.  Even with a sun hood covering the mobile device, you'll need to stand so that the sun is not directly behind you.

4) Kill all background apps running on the Mobile Device, the DJI Pilot app should be the only one running.  NOTE:  other forum users using Android mobile devices recommend turning off Google Play services.

5) In General Settings screen of DJI Pilot app, turn on "Enable Hardware Decode".  For devices with this capability (e.g., iPad Air 2), this will unload the CPU from having to perform some graphics decoding, which will result in cooler/faster CPU and video performance.

6) Interference from nearby WiFi repeaters, hobby aircraft remote controllers, wireless phones, wireless security cameras, numerous wireless tablets/phones operating in residential neighborhoods, etc., can cause video stuttering and loss of signal to your P3. So, do the following if signal interference from other devices is a strong possibility:
6A) Bring up HD Image Transmission Setting screen in the DJI Pilot App and monitor channels 13-20 for several minutes.
6B) Change Channel Setting from "Auto" to "Custom."
6C) Select a channel with the lowest noise levels (lowest point on the noise graph); and, preferably, one with fairly low noise levels in adjacent channels.  Also, make sure that there are not any periodic large noise level spikes on the channel you are considering using. Nine times out of ten, I end up choosing Channel 20.
6D) Set the Video Transmission Rate to the lowest setting of 4 MBps.  This will slightly degrade the video quality, BUT it will improve the stability and refresh rate of the video image.  It is much more critical to have a high refresh rate on a slightly lower-res video image that a stuttering, low-refresh-rate high-res image.

7) Proper Antennae position for optimal signal transmission/reception:  antennae should be parallel to one another with wide, flat vertical sides of antennae facing the P3.  So, if P3 will be out in front of you several hundred meters or more, the antennae should be parallel to one another and pointed straight up to sky while you are holding RC.  NEVER point tips of antennae directly at the P3 (like a gun barrel) - this is the lowest signal level situation.  If the P3 will be directly overhead , then pointing the two antennae straight out parallel to the ground would be the best position (but this is not a very common videography situation).

Let me know if using this information helps you get better live video performance.  Using all the above, I went from having stuttering video with P3 10 feet away from my RC with an overheating iPad Mini 3 to having fluid, stutter-free video with P3 up to 4 km from the RC using a sun-hood-protected iPad Air 2.
2015-7-28
Use props
ntxbowhunter13
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The app never freezes, it's always responsive except for the video.  I use an iPhone 6, and a sunshade.  The first time I experienced the pixelation was the other day when everything looked warped.  Mainly the video just isn't responsive like it use to be.  I have the antennas in their correct position.  Have tried custom channels and all that.  I'll try to fly it again maybe this evening to see if the problem is still there but it's just weird how I've flown in the same exact spots as before the update and never had a single problem and now having problems almost every time I've flown it.  First 10 flights were flawless, last 4 flights since the update have had a lot of problems.
2015-7-29
Use props
lb11778
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368842 ft
United States

David thanks for the post. I spent about an hr today chatting with support and all they did was copy and paste the specs from the web page saying that the new version of the pilot app doesn't support android devices. I felt like I was talking to a child.  
2015-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules