Why is the Pilot App so unnecessarily bloated?
1165 11 2015-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I do understand that there are myriad different permutations of Android devices, such as CPUs, amount of RAM, GPUs, screen sizes and resolutions, etc. I also understand that the DJI Pilot App is quite complex, so it is fraught with potential compatibility and performance issues (which is abundantly clear via this forum to be true). From what I have read, these issues are not confined to Android, but to a lesser extent, also affect the much simplified Apple ecosystem (reports of lag and overheating, etc.).

There are two main issues I have with this situation;

Firstly, why does the DJI Pilot App have to include so much pointless guff? It could be simplified considerably, which would make it less bloated and complex, therefore easier to optimize. For example; the live streaming to YouTube gimmick, the bloated Director app and the built in store (which doesn’t even work for me). Not needed in the main app. Oh, and the training simulator, which I actually hope never makes it into the Android version. Spin all the “extras” out into separate apps for us to choose if we want or need them. I implore DJI to keep the actual “Pilot” app (as in the app that is so vital to actually flying the Phantom/Inspire) as lean and functional as possible. We don’t even need the cycling background photos that respond to tilting our devices. Why was there even any effort wasted on that? Please just give us an app with a clean welcome screen and only TWO options; Camera and User Center.

Secondly, the situation above means that many Android users are feeling compelled to go out and buy Apple devices just to be able to use their Phantom. Apple really does not deserve, nor need, anymore gratuitous promotion of its products, by DJI or anyone else. Make it so we can confidently use our platform of choice.
2015-7-28
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are not streaming to youtube or using video caching I believe this stuff isn't bloating anything.

I do think they could develop a "minimalist" mode that might save 10 or 20%, but most of the work is the HD video stream, GPS and telemetry.

DJI tends to run on the bleeding edge and that requires top notch equipment. The cost of a 1/2 decent analog FPV setup with telemetry and more is about $300+ - yet the P3 does much more and does it better and with more range. So it doesn't make sense that you expect it to be done with a cheap tablet or phone.

I have used a moto-g (older) that I got for $30 and now use a $99 refurb Nexus 7 II. The Nexus is about the lowest end device I would suggest - for $99 refurb it's hard to complain. If I was a pro I'd steal the wifes ipad air 2 or buy something.

On one hand you seem to be anti-Apple but you fail to mention that the only reason some Android devices are cheap is that they are based on google bloatware and the ads and other stuff that google will feed you once you use their services.

In fact, if Apple makes a more powerful device - and bleeding edge stuff works better on it - they DO deserve some credit.

I do agree that "Pilot Light" setting would be a good idea - maybe a 2MB choice in the HD settings, etc. - but most other stuff can be turned off in the app. Also, it's the Android background bloatware - not the DJI app, that is responsible for many of the problems. Maybe DJI can figure out a way to allow Android users to automatically turn off all that background stuff (google hangouts, play, etc.).

The more they give us - it seems the more we want. If the P3 didn't exist and another maker offered this level of features for 2K we'd probably all line up for one - yet we worry about spending $100- $300 for a tablet?
2015-7-29
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

System works fine for my Android devices. Bloat ware, WHERE? I only use what I need, the rest is gravy, and doesn't overload my Sam-Tab-4 at all.
I just wish the phone holder was stronger. It is wobbly, to the point that I'm thinking of buying and Inspire holder, for more stability with the metal bracket.
I'd love the simulator on my Lollipop. Give me something to do on rainy days....
2015-7-29
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-7-29 21:55
System works fine for my Android devices. Bloat ware, WHERE? I only use what I need, the rest is gra ...

Agree completely. I also use the Sam-tab-4. Works pretty well except it takes quite some time to load a previous flight. The ipad air loads it much quicker. I am wondering if the android app may not take advantage of the multi core processor on the tab.  The video lag is about the same with both devices though I have no accurate method of timing them. Purely suggestive.I got an anti glare screen protector for the tab but I think I still need a sunshade. Anyone seen any decent ones that will work on a tab 4 7"?
2015-7-29
Use props
PhantomAtAK
lvl.2

United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-7-29 21:55
System works fine for my Android devices. Bloat ware, WHERE? I only use what I need, the rest is gra ...

A no cost work around that slightly improves the wobble is to wrap a rubber band, a couple of rounds will do, around the threads of the holder, then screw it back in.  It stopped mine from backing out, and while it didn't remove the wobble, I feel like it is half what it was. Nice
2015-7-29
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

I think my point was not quite clear.

Just so you all know, I am not actually having any issues with the latest firmware nor with the latest app on my G-Tab S 8.4. See here... Which device(s) do you use to run the DJI Pilot app?. This post was merely a suggestion to help all those that are having issues.

And it is not that the Android or Apple platform is better or worse. Both platforms have their issues, so I was just suggesting that DJI keep the Pilot app SIMPLE and focus on the core capabilities. I am a developer (and have developed for both Android and iOS, among other platforms), so I understand that the more features you add, the more scope for bugs and performance issues arise. There is just too much "gravy" (as "arives" put it) that need not be in the app.

Yes, a dedicated Pilot "light" version (not just a mode) which focuses on the core flying and photography capabilities is what I was suggesting. Make all the other features, like video editing and streaming and shopping into separate and optional apps.

So, please don't jump on me. This post was an attempt to guide DJI towards developing a better app and subsequent experience for all of us.
2015-7-29
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Point taken 'motoscoddli'. I'm sure they would like to find a smaller app for us to use, but seem to feel that the more they add, the more versatility we have to work with. I like all the dodads to play with. I can't fly right now as the green head flies are wicked outdoors here and I loose too much blood if I stay outside. They like the bug spray the bugs that is.....
2015-7-29
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

motoscoddie Posted at 2015-7-30 07:39
I think my point was not quite clear.

Just so you all know, I am not actually having any issues wi ...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had the same thoughts long ago.

There is one simple answer: Marketing.
2015-7-29
Use props
pulsar747n
lvl.1

United States

Agree with "motoscoddie" .   It appears to me that DJI is in the business of making  drones and not of pushing for certain mobile devices.  I am not sure that I understand why a simple pilot app is not offered that may run in older devices.  Many of us have IPhones 3 and 4 or Motorola XYDroids hanging around that can be dedicate to our Phantoms.  Instead you got people like me that after spending good money to buy a P3P now realize that my older IPad or Motorola XYDroid would not run the pilot app!
2015-7-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I already have an Apple iPad 3 64GB Cellular. And thought it should be good enough, atleast for the beginning of my Phantom experience.
But No! It wouldn't load the Pilot App, I would  have to acquire a newer version with a faster CPU. That said, I'm very happy with the performance of my setup, but extremely dissapointed at the cost.
And it's never ending, escalating bills. More options, batteries, charger, case, back pack. . .

But I LOVE it. :Huge Grin: & well, Would I do it all over, again??
Ask yourself that question... I think we both know the answer. ;-)

Happy
Landings...

RedHotPoker
2015-7-30
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Interesting that no one from DJI had a comment to make on this.

To recap; Why does the Pilot app, which is causing performance issues for EVERYONE (but, mainly on Android), have to have so much unnecessary stuff built in? Why can't all the extras be taken out and made into separate, companion apps? That way, the Pilot app would only retain the core features vital to flying and would definitely help to make it easier to optimise and maintain.

Sadly, at the moment, a large percentage of this forum is complaints about the Pilot app performance as well as FW issues and problems.

As an aside, does ANYONE actually use the built in video editing feature? I certainly don't and won't.
2015-7-31
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

I dont think its too bad, i just think somethings should be more accessible. Like the percentage of the controller battery and the vps toggle are just two things that are impossible to find without scrolling through menus. Also, the camera settings menu could be better. Its pretty overwhelming at first.
2015-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules