DJI FPV 2 Flying Without Goggles
8396 22 2021-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
emsman59
lvl.2
United States

I am a cheap person. I'm buying all my FPV 2 components one at a time. Will I be able to fly the FPV 2 without owning a pair of goggles? I will be getting them just not now. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.  
2021-10-2
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

If you're cheap then you're going in the wrong direction. Buying the piece of separately cost more than getting the set.

I'm not even sure if that would work anyway. I don't think it will. Never really tried it. Might be interesting to see the results. But it sounds like just a way to crash a $650 drone.
2021-10-2
Use props
fliegerben
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1918087 ft
Germany

First of all, SgtRay is absolutely right!! I doubt that you will save any money at all. And all compoments basically only work with the DJI FPV - no double use (maybe except for the goggles).

But, yes, you could fly the drone without the goggles. Basic drone status is indicated by the drone's status lights (if you can see them).

Keep in mind, that you do not have any flight data, you cannot access or change any settings or parameters and you cannot connect to the DJI Fly app - you need the goggles for all of that. And maybe you cannot even activate the drone...

On top of that, you will be missing 99 % of the fun if you do not fly FPV. And I am not sure if you could do anything serious in manual mode. The drone gets very fast very quick...
2021-10-3
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for your input. Not really trying to save money I just do not have a 1400 outlay of cash. Fixed income ect ect ect.. Has ANYONE tried this route? Just want to know if it can be done and any tips. My new controller comes Tuesday. After that, I will post and let everyone know how it works out. Not everyone can afford this expensive drone and was looking for an affordable way to enjoy its amazing abilities. I know that without the goggles I will be missing a lot of functions of the drone but I could still have some fun. Standby..... by the way, I will be purchasing the goggles in the near future.
2021-10-3
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

fansbc989063 Posted at 10-3 18:12
Thanks for your input. Not really trying to save money I just do not have a 1400 outlay of cash. Fixed income ect ect ect.. Has ANYONE tried this route? Just want to know if it can be done and any tips. My new controller comes Tuesday. After that, I will post and let everyone know how it works out. Not everyone can afford this expensive drone and was looking for an affordable way to enjoy its amazing abilities. I know that without the goggles I will be missing a lot of functions of the drone but I could still have some fun. Standby..... by the way, I will be purchasing the goggles in the near future.

just go sim. buy some RC radio controller and try sim-flying there.
it will be Your best save$$$  ;) sims are not perfect, but will let You get basic reactions and no $$ crashes
if You like it in sim, move next step
2021-10-4
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

Don't need a Sim. Been flying drones for a while. Just need an answer to the following question... I'm buying all my FPV 2 components one at a time. Will I be able to fly the FPV 2 without owning a pair of goggles? I will be getting them just not now. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.  
2021-10-4
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

How do I get the DJI FPV 2 simulator?
2021-10-4
Use props
fansf0572733
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2098566 ft
United States

I believe you can fly without the goggles which I have done a few times. Just bind the fpv controller to the fpv drone and you're all set.
2021-10-4
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

I think I have successfully bound the transmitter to the drone. I can move the gimble with the wheel on the controller. I have pulled both sticks to the down and in position but can't get the motors to spin. I have the blades off if that matters? ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
2021-10-4
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

I have not activated the drone. Can this be done without the goggles? I have the DJI Fly App on my Ipad. Will the drone fly if not activated through the goggles? The only connection port is on the controller. Can it be activated through just the controller? I see no connection port on the drone itself? HELP!!!
2021-10-4
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

fansbc989063 Posted at 10-4 16:06
I have not activated the drone. Can this be done without the goggles? I have the DJI Fly App on my Ipad. Will the drone fly if not activated through the goggles? The only connection port is on the controller. Can it be activated through just the controller? I see no connection port on the drone itself? HELP!!!

If it's going to work at all go to DJIs website, download the assistant for the FPV drone, hook the drone directly to your computer, turn it on and the software should recognize it. If it can be activated that way that will be the only way that I know of without goggles
2021-10-4
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

I will try that, thank you for the information. I guess I hook the drone up to the  USB-C port on the front of the drone under a small plastic cover? Thanks again and I will let everyone know how it works out for me.
2021-10-4
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

fansbc989063 Posted at 10-4 20:12
I will try that, thank you for the information. I guess I hook the drone up to the  USB-C port on the front of the drone under a small plastic cover? Thanks again and I will let everyone know how it works out for me.

You just plug in to the USB C port

Yeah it works using this software is actually the fastest way to run updates of firmware because the transmission speed is faster. If you have it right the moment you turn on the drone the software on the computer will identify it and connect
2021-10-4
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

SgtRay Posted at 10-4 22:34
You just plug in to the USB C port

Yeah it works using this software is actually the fastest way to run updates of firmware because the transmission speed is faster. If you have it right the moment you turn on the drone the software on the computer will identify it and connect

Thank you bunches!
2021-10-5
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

Can't get the motors to run. I think I'm bound with the controller because I can rotate the gimble. Without owning a pair of DJI FPV Goggles V2 I can't register/activate the drone because I don't have a pair of goggles. DJI confirmed this. No goggles no flyieee!
2021-10-11
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

fansbc989063 Posted at 10-11 07:35
Can't get the motors to run. I think I'm bound with the controller because I can rotate the gimble. Without owning a pair of DJI FPV Goggles V2 I can't register/activate the drone because I don't have a pair of goggles. DJI confirmed this. No goggles no flyieee!

I thought to myself, you know maybe I should try.
Now take this with a grain of salt mine is activated. But yes you can fly without the goggles. As you can see my goggles are not connected. They didn't need to be connected to start the motors. Nor do they need to be connected to get it off the ground. I'm kind of surprised that connecting the controller and the drone using DJI software directly to a computer did not activate it. Maybe you need the goggles to activate it. Maybe not. That I couldn't tell you. You should put in a ticket with the Tech Support guys and they'll be able to answer that pretty quick
20211012_024549.jpg
20211012_024530.jpg
2021-10-12
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

Spoke with them on IM and they said you CAN'T fly line of sight prior to activating/registering the Goggles and Drone through the DJI Fly App. You MUST own a pair of Goggles, the drone, and the controller and activate it all through DJI Fly App. That SU..KS big time.
2021-10-13
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

If anyone knows a hack around this PLEASE let me/us know. Thanks
2021-10-13
Use props
djiuser_hw0VtaVuElev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101690 ft
Belgium

fansbc989063 Posted at 2021-10-13 17:12
If anyone knows a hack around this PLEASE let me/us know. Thanks

There is NO way around it. Goggles are necessary. Imo that should be obvious when you see FPV drone… these things are no joke and dumb to fly without goggles, you’ll lose/crash it within a week.
2022-2-17
Use props
Vito Anzano
lvl.1

United States

I've flown without the goggles and it was before i connected it to the goggles,and honestly I think flying Los is good for you people who rely on the goggles start making stupid mistakes and end up crashing cuz they don't do Los enough to remember to take them off and check for themselves,like car cameras.
2023-12-9
Use props
Vito Anzano
lvl.1

United States

I got into this expensive hobby on a fixed income as well,part by part you spent more they're right about that,but.knocking u for the goggles is fu**ing dumb, 20.bucks there's 100 people who.can outfly u no goggles to goggles and vice.versa,its about learning more.then one way.and correlating what you've learned from all different sources.of.knowledge and trial and error.sorry about the rant but I absolutely can not stand pretentious pri*ks who talk down to people like that.
2023-12-9
Use props
Vito Anzano
lvl.1

United States

T
2023-12-9
Use props
Vito Anzano
lvl.1

United States

And ITS LINE OF SIGHT BECAUSE YOU HAVE A CLEAR VISUAL,SO IF ITS NOT LINE OF SIGHT YOUR FLYING BLIND WHICH IS THE ONLY ACTUAL.STUPID MOVE.DERRRRR.SO HOW IS HE LOSING OR.CRASHING HIS.DRONE WITH EYES ON?
2023-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules