Switching between the std & motion controllers, a question.
2646 15 2021-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With the drone switched on on the ground I have found that I can switch between the motion controller and the normal joystick controller and vice versa by switching the active controller off and sitching the other controller on.
The question is, can I do the same thing with the drone in flight?

If so I realise there would be a brief period when the drone had no control signal.

2021-10-12
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I fly airplanes Quads and helicopters. Not with one of them would I ever want to do such a dangerous trick
2021-10-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Please don’t do this.  Best case you’ll trigger rth but it could easily go badly wrong.
2021-10-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Sean-bumble-bee. Good day and thank you for these information that you have given. As posted above it is not advisable to switch from the DJI Standard remote controller to the DJI motion controllers you your DJI FPV is flying for safety purposes. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-10-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks folks.
DJI Stephen perhaps you could tell me how to get a vertical descent with the motion controller or perhaps you know of a DJI video that shows the goggle's screen when this is being done?
The reason I was thinking of switching controllers mid flight was because it appears to me that I could not trigger a vertical descent using the motion controller. I normally require a vertical descent from height (because of trees ) for landing. So I was contemplating using the motion controller for the main part of the flight ( using the motion controller I could trigger the vertical ascent) and then take over control using the normal controller for the landing descent.
2021-10-14
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-14 14:37
Thanks folks.
DJI Stephen perhaps you could tell me how to get a vertical descent with the motion controller or perhaps you know of a DJI video that shows the goggle's screen when this is being done?
The reason I was thinking of switching controllers mid flight was because it appears to me that I could not trigger a vertical descent using the motion controller. I normally require a vertical descent from height (because of trees ) for landing. So I was contemplating using the motion controller for the main part of the flight ( using the motion controller I could trigger the vertical ascent) and then take over control using the normal controller for the landing descent.

Literally point the controller straight up pull the trigger it'll go straight up point the controller straight down and pull the trigger it will go straight down. Did you not look at any of the videos I recommended on your other post?
2021-10-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did look at the first two videos, and several others, but the third video seemed irrelevant and or the subtitles were hard if not impossible to follow.
Billy Kyle talks too fast and I have to slow his videos down to 50% at times to be able to read the subtitles before the next set appears. From memory he too had concerns about steep descents/landing.
I have seen only one video that explicitly mentions the white-circle-changing-colour feature and I saw that quite some time ago, long before I got the motion controller. I can not now find the video, I certainly remember it showed something in connection with the climb (with trees on/in the screen) but I can not remember if it showed anything in connection with the descent.

Since you find it so simple perhaps you could look and see if you see the white circle change colour especially for a vertical descent?

Assuming that the website I saw mention this change of colour was correct, I am, where a vertical descent is a MUST (lateral movement would put the drone into the surrounding trees), unwilling to experiment with something that does not correspond to my belief.
If I had a wide open area in which to experiment then yes I would happily experiment with your suggestion but at the moment I do not so I will not.
Maybe, when I next fly it, I will send it up to 300ft+ and experiment.
2021-10-15
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-15 10:02
I did look at the first two videos, and several others, but the third video seemed irrelevant and or the subtitles were hard if not impossible to follow.
Billy Kyle talks too fast and I have to slow his videos down to 50% at times to be able to read the subtitles before the next set appears. From memory he too had concerns about steep descents/landing.
I have seen only one video that explicitly mentions the white-circle-changing-colour feature and I saw that quite some time ago, long before I got the motion controller. I can not now find the video, I certainly remember it showed something in connection with the climb (with trees on/in the screen) but I can not remember if it showed anything in connection with the descent.

I understand that you're deaf. But maybe this is a language barrier. But I do demonstrations with the motion controller for children. When I first get them used to the motion controller they don't wear the goggles. If I do a video for you I won't be able to show you the on board screen. So try this 1st and it's not a test I do it on the demos.

Point the motion controller straight up slightly slightly pull the trigger the drone should slowly very slowly go straight up.  Do this without wearing the goggles that way you will see how slowly it moves. Do the same for down.

Do all of these maneuvers between 5' to 10' off the ground that way you won't have to worry about trees. The key to this is only slightly pull the trigger that is your speed if you barely pull it it will barely move. You will know where it's going because you won't have the goggles on and you'll see it.. When you put the goggles on if you are looking straight down it is going straight down if you are looking straight
2021-10-15
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

If there are any DJI moderators watching this thread this is for you.

This is a perfect example of why the display should be recordable.

It would be so much easier to teach it if I could show it and talk through it. Much like you do and you're tutorials for your product.. But you don't have time to do I have time to do a tutorial for individual people. With individual needs

There are ways to jury rig things to get the video the way I would want it. But I don't have this as a full time job. So why not give me the option to record the overlay? I would think it's only a firmware update.

Just food for thought
2021-10-15
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

I think I found a good video that might answer your questions.
Of course I can hear what hes saying. But he does what I wrote about. At around the 12min mark.

He points the controller up and slowly pulls the trigger and the drone slowly goes straight up then he points the controller at the ground and slowly pulls the trigger and the drone slowly goes straight down.

That will allow you to go straight down. With the goggles on you would see this. but it can be done very easily without the goggles on.

But watch the whole video you might get the jest of it because he does it at the very beginning also.

I hope this helps

https://youtu.be/Arb7Xrkepv4
2021-10-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks  I will have a look.  EDIT ok I will give that a shot. It was funny at 11.57 where he jerks his face back as the drone presumably throttles up.

With regards too "This is a perfect example of why the display should be recordable. " I could not agree more...............or send everything seen in the goggles to an attached phone, where it would be recordable.

Personally I would like to see the control menus available on an attached phone too, I guess it would be possible to give the goggles the option to 'send them' or not.

2021-10-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well..... it was nerve wracking but I managed to get vertical descent, scarily fast at times and, by tilting the controller 'beyond the horizontal',  some backwards movement too during the climb and descent.
This is a rocket ship.
I also at times saw the down arrow appear though I did not spend enough time looking through the goggles to see how to consistantly trigger its appearance.

I just wish the logs were more easily readable than having to process them via AirData & PhantomHelp etc.

Hopefully they will copy across to my phone the next time I connect it so I can look at the vertical rates is a replay of the flight..
2021-10-16
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-16 06:29
Well..... it was nerve wracking but I managed to get vertical descent, scarily fast at times and, by tilting the controller 'beyond the horizontal',  some backwards movement too during the climb and descent.
This is a rocket ship.
I also at times saw the down arrow appear though I did not spend enough time looking through the goggles to see how to consistantly trigger its appearance.

I don't think you are getting it. But you're close. When I say and the Vid shows. Yes you are pointing it past the horizontal. That's what I've been saying and the vid was showing that. The next thing is to learn that if you don't fully pull the trigger then it will go slower and slower. then you should never have that "scarily fast" until you want it.

Please remember just like in the vid, you can take the goggles off and do your landings with you eyes. I almost always do and I've never had a problem. I also hand catch as second nature.
2021-10-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah let me rephrase my post.
I was able to get vertical descents and ascents by, relative to the postition required for horizontal flight, pitching the controller to + or - 90deg and then squeezing the trigger. I also at some point saw the down-arrow etc. that I was 'seeking' but as the flight was predominantly flown direct-sight I did not have the opportunity to work out what made the down-arrow appear.
I realise the speed of vertical travel is controlled by how much the trigger is squeezed and that slow vertical travel is possible, by only lightly squeezing the trigger, but , when the trigger is squeezed all the way home, this thing is a rocket ship.
I also found that if I exceeded the pitching angle of 90deg by a small amount then backwards motion was added to the vertical motion.
2021-10-16
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-16 08:46
Ah let me rephrase my post.
I was able to get vertical descents and ascents by, relative to the postition required for horizontal flight, pitching the controller to + or - 90deg and then squeezing the trigger. I also at some point saw the down-arrow etc. that I was 'seeking' but as the flight was predominantly flown direct-sight I did not have the opportunity to work out what made the down-arrow appear.
I realise the speed of vertical travel is controlled by how much the trigger is squeezed and that slow vertical travel is possible, by only lightly squeezing the trigger, but , when the trigger is squeezed all the way home, this thing is a rocket ship.

So it sounds like you got it all worked out. I'm glad. Happy flying
2021-10-16
Use props
Yum
lvl.1

Australia

It appears that the FPV  can RTH quite a few metres from the take off pad, so it should be pretty safe to get the drone close then pause the drone, and while it hovers change controllers and then land manually. What could go wrong, seriously, if both controllers are off while the drone is hovering near the landing zone, it's not going to suddenly drop out of the sky is it? If you pause the drone with the motion controller on a flight, then smash the controller with a brick, the drone is just going to hover, then RTH when the time comes.
2022-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules