DJI M300 - P1 Gimbal Angle
2491 2 2021-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpeedyPhire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164747 ft
Australia

I am currently using an M300 + P1 for multiple tasks including 2D and 3D mapping.   I have not had a requirement to constrain the work area I am operating in when doing 3D models prior to now.  The area I worked on the weekend bounded a large hotel property which was a no fly zone.  When the area being modelled is close to a no go area , the oblique Gimbal Angle and the altitude of the flight become the constraints. When I work at 100m height and a gimbal angle of -45degrees, the projected overlap into the neighbouring property is approximately 125 meters.  When it is set to -80 degrees, the overlap is substantially reduced.  Obviously the lower the angle the better.
1.  Can anyone advise on the sweet spot where the deformation of objects such as trees starts to increase?  If I can work that angle then I can start playing with altitude which is also a factor.  Unfortunately, I am operating in an environment where there are 40m trees, so that is one of the limitations I have been operating under.

2. Typically I have always flown mapping missions with the same camera gimbal angle.  Has anyone been using different angles for different routes that are included in the one model, and if so how does this impact your final models?

3. Similar to number 2 above, I have always tried to fly at one altitude for the whole job.  Has anyone had any experience mixing different altitudes in the same job?  

Clearly, the P1 facilitates flights at higher altitudes while retaining exceptional GSD resulting in an efficient workflow, but the higher altitude has the disadvantage that in conjunction with Gimbal Angle it increases the flight area when performing Oblique photography which may be unacceptable under some circumstances.
2021-10-17
Use props
fans5b25584c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24012 ft
United States

I use the M300/P1 combination, but only for 2D mapping of islands and birds.

Everything looking straight down.

I did work on the ability to make non-mapping waypoint missions from Google Earth KMLs, and as I recall , didn't have any problem with gimbal control, if I can help
2021-10-19
Use props
SpeedyPhire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164747 ft
Australia

fans5b25584c thanks for the offer.  

In the cased of this particular client, I will be bringing the altitude down to minimise loss at the boundary of the area I am working; and reducing the gimbal angle in increments of 5 degrees to assess the impact to the 3D model. The image below describes the overall issue.     

Stay tuned.

Cheers PHire

2021-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules