Terrain following?
1379 7 2021-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulSWIdaho
New

United States

Hello, I'm pretty new to the Mini 2 flying, and drone flying in general.
I live is a rather hilly area where a half mile away from my house the terrain is up or down a couple hunderd feet. I would like to get some video maybe 50-100 ft above the ground, but to do so I would have to carefully manually alter elevation as I fly. Is there a way to have the Mini 2 track the terrain? Or if not then at least if I could find out how close to the ground it is so that I can go higher if it gets too close to the ground.
Thanks, and sorry for the newbie question.

2021-10-18
Use props
tibzee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79616 ft
Switzerland

Hi, unfortunately the answer to both questions is "no"
2021-10-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The aircraft has no sensor that can measure elevation above the surrounding terrain. Its only altitude measurement is via a barometer measuring elevation using air pressure.
2021-10-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there PaulSWIdaho. Good day and welcome to DJI Forum. Kindly please refer to the post above. In addition I will post a link where in you can find the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI Mini 2. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/mini-2?site=brandsite&from=nav
2021-10-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can set the Fn key to point the gimbal to -90 so you can quickly look at the ground to see how high you are.
2021-10-19
Use props
PaulSWIdaho
New

United States

Thanks for the responses and suggestion. I'll try the -90 deg and see how much that helps.

I gather that the camera is fixed focus, so it would not be possible to extract focus info from the camera for a distance estimate. Bummer.
2021-10-19
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is one exception. If you are going slowly forward and fly very close to the ground (maybe 1-3 feet high) and the ground is rising, the drone will elevate to stay the same distance from the ground. The faster it flies forward, the slower the correction however. This does not work if the ground is falling.
2021-10-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 10-19 12:52
There is one exception. If you are going slowly forward and fly very close to the ground (maybe 1-3 feet high) and the ground is rising, the drone will elevate to stay the same distance from the ground. The faster it flies forward, the slower the correction however. This does not work if the ground is falling.

bless ya cotton socks, lol

It was this thread that prompted me to make mine as i'd remembered about playing with that "feature", i didn't mention it in here because its irrelevant to this thread, what with the OP wanting to film at "50-100ft" an all...
2021-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules