record RSC2 with Nikon Z6II & Atomos Ninja V
2930 12 2021-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
verstaerker
lvl.1
Germany

hi
i recently got an RSC2 and so far im quite happy.
Today i connected my Atomos NinjaV to the Nikon and wanted to trigger record on the Ninja by pressing record on the RSC2. But it didn't start recording.
As soon as i disconnected theHDMI cable the record trigger on the Z6 worked.
While writing this i remembered to have heard somewhere that that this doesnt work when a memory-card is in the camera. So i removed the XD card and voila the RSC2 record button triggered the recording on the Ninja.

Why is that? Is there any workaround?
2021-11-3
Use props
vitaly258
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

following. got the same configuration
2021-11-4
Use props
verstaerker
lvl.1
Germany

vitaly258 Posted at 11-4 13:07
following. got the same configuration

I wrote now to the support all 3 manufacturers .. lets see if one gives me useful answer.

But i think i know already how this ends up.
2021-11-4
Use props
jeffyen
lvl.2
Singapore

Interesting. Z6 and Ninja V and recording control on the RSC2 and Ninja V works for me. Check the camera's hdmi settings? There is one setting, HDMI>advanced>external recording control > on
2021-12-24
Use props
fansf39a86ae
lvl.1
Germany

jeffyen Posted at 12-24 19:30
Interesting. Z6 and Ninja V and recording control on the RSC2 and Ninja V works for me. Check the camera's hdmi settings? There is one setting, HDMI>advanced>external recording control > on

do you have a Z6 or Z6II?

Of course HDMI External Record Control is On . Otherwise it wouldnt work if i take out the card .
Nikon just wrote me a few days ago. I need to test something wich i'll do over Christmas
2021-12-25
Use props
jeffyen
lvl.2
Singapore

fansf39a86ae Posted at 12-25 00:19
do you have a Z6 or Z6II?

Of course HDMI External Record Control is On . Otherwise it wouldnt work if i take out the card .

I have a z 6. Perhaps there are still some bugs in the Z 6 II code. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.
2021-12-25
Use props
fansf39a86ae
lvl.1
Germany

jeffyen Posted at 12-25 02:00
I have a z 6. Perhaps there are still some bugs in the Z 6 II code. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

this is very important input... i know that the Z6 and Z6II have differing implementation of record control
(because i tested two gimbals that can control a Z6 but couldn't control my Z6II)

i'll comeback with more feedback on that soon
2021-12-26
Use props
fansf39a86ae
lvl.1
Germany

jeffyen Posted at 12-25 02:00

Nikon suggested to try 8 Bit mode. And i indeed if i set HDMI output to 8 bit , triggering the record on the Ninja works.

Can you please check if you're using 8 or 10 bit mode?
2021-12-26
Use props
jeffyen
lvl.2
Singapore

fansf39a86ae Posted at 12-26 07:54
Nikon suggested to try 8 Bit mode. And i indeed if i set HDMI output to 8 bit , triggering the record on the Ninja works.

Can you please check if you're using 8 or 10 bit mode?

Ok I've done some testing. This is Z 6 on firmware 3.4.

1) If you have paid USD200 to get the RAW upgrade, trigger rec on RCS2 and pressing on the Ninja V screen both work. (On the camera, Ignore the output data depth: 10bit thing; the whole line should have been greyed out as RAW is 12-bit)

2) If you haven't paid, HDMI output is either NLog (10 bit), or not Log (10-bit or 8-bit). On the Ninja V, select anything other than PRORES RAW, such as ProRes LT. Trigger recording on the RCS2 works in both conditions.
The thing that tripped me initially was the behaviour of the Ninja V. If PRORES RAW is selected as the source, it cannot record anything else and the red button will be greyed out. It needs to be changed to something other than raw to make it work again with NLOG or 8-bit signal.

2021-12-31
Use props
fansf39a86ae
lvl.1
Germany

jeffyen Posted at 2021-12-31 23:31
Ok I've done some testing. This is Z 6 on firmware 3.4.

1) If you have paid USD200 to get the RAW upgrade, trigger rec on RCS2 and pressing on the Ninja V screen both work. (On the camera, Ignore the output data depth: 10bit thing; the whole line should have been greyed out as RAW is 12-bit)

just to confirm if i got it right: passing on the recording trigger to the NinjaV works on the Z6 , WITH inserted SD/XQD card?
Basically in all conditions (just RAW has to be set correctly)
2022-1-3
Use props
jeffyen
lvl.2
Singapore

fansf39a86ae Posted at 1-3 02:41
just to confirm if i got it right: passing on the recording trigger to the NinjaV works on the Z6 , WITH inserted SD/XQD card?
Basically in all conditions (just RAW has to be set correctly)

I can't really say as I diidn't test for the condition that the card is in camera (because I never need to have the card inside when taking videos with the Ninja V as the whole point of using the Ninja is to use the external recorder to capture the video.)  

I noticed another thing recently. The connection between the Z 6 and the RSC2 can break sometimes and the recording trigger and focusing knob stop working. I needed to switch off everything and switch on all 3 things to get it started again.
2022-1-8
Use props
fansf39a86ae
lvl.1
Germany

jeffyen Posted at 1-8 02:01
I can't really say as I diidn't test for the condition that the card is in camera (because I never need to have the card inside when taking videos with the Ninja V as the whole point of using the Ninja is to use the external recorder to capture the video.)  

I noticed another thing recently. The connection between the Z 6 and the RSC2 can break sometimes and the recording trigger and focusing knob stop working. I needed to switch off everything and switch on all 3 things to get it started again.

sorry, but this thread  was all about having the card inside the camera and the ability to trigger the record.
I like to have the card inside as i often also take fotos , and while the camera is on the gimbal it's often not possible to access the card-slot.

The other thing you mentioned happens to me sometimes as well. Turning the RSC2 off/on n usually helps.
2022-1-8
Use props
fansf39a86ae
lvl.1
Germany

Nikon confirmed that they can recreate the problem and its not supposed to be like this .. they will fix it in a firmware update.
2022-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules