2031 6 2021-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Abraham Reyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109951 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the new form factor, I was wondering if it were possible to click two cameras (one facing forward and another backwards) to do somehting similar to what the insta360 one R does I know it's impossible but do you think they would release an add-on camera in the near feature to support 360 stitching? Pretty dissapointing it's years away for DJI to release their own 360 camera.
2021-11-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting Idea.   
2021-11-4
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

For sure interesting. It would require a different camera module though. Currently no way to clip two of the same camera module together. No pogo pins and no clips to latch. But I would almost bet they are cooking something up like that for later.
2021-11-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2021-11-4
Use props
Skaven252
lvl.2
Sweden

3D VR180 would be an interesting option as well, and probably better for the form factor than 360 because for seamless 360 the back-to-back lenses need to be very close together to minimize the blind zone.

Both ideas would require perhaps a new core module that can take 2 camera modules, keep them perfectly in sync, and also have enough bandwidth to record from two inputs simultaneously at full resolution. That may be a tall order - and a limited market segment. But I do like the idea.

With 4 microphones on each camera module (8 in total) and some clever and challenging matrixing, you could even perhaps record AmbiX compliant spatial audio with the on-board microphones? Sounds like another big challenge.
2021-11-16
Use props
Skaven252
lvl.2
Sweden

One reason the Action 2 couldn't work as a 360 camera even if you could run two sensor units back-to-back is the fact the FOV is only 150 degrees. A 360 or VR180 camera requires a FOV of 180 degrees at least. And to get crop room for stabilization, or overlap for stitching, in common 360/180 cameras the FOV of each lens is usually 220 degrees.

So, alas, two Action 2 modules back-to-back wouldn't quite be able to cover full 360.

Would be cool to see DJI make a foray into the 360 / VR180 camera market however.
2021-11-21
Use props
Abraham Reyes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skaven252 Posted at 11-21 11:27
One reason the Action 2 couldn't work as a 360 camera even if you could run two sensor units back-to-back is the fact the FOV is only 150 degrees. A 360 or VR180 camera requires a FOV of 180 degrees at least. And to get crop room for stabilization, or overlap for stitching, in common 360/180 cameras the FOV of each lens is usually 220 degrees.

So, alas, two Action 2 modules back-to-back wouldn't quite be able to cover full 360.
Yeah, solid points. I would presume they could add a fisheye magnetic conversion module to each of the lenses so give some wiggle room for stitching but at this time it’s obvious it’s just not gonna happen. I don’t know what they’re waiting for. Patent nightmare I would speculate. Insta360 really nailed it though so kudos for them.
2021-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules