Mavic 3 - SDK / Waypoints?
5775 17 2021-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tadair
New
Flight distance : 12989 ft
United States

Does anyone know if DJI is planning on releasing an SDK / Waypoints for the Mavic 3 ?  I was excited to purchase the Air2S earlier this year on the statement DJI made about offering the SDK for it, but I am not making the same expensive mistake again.
2021-11-6
Use props
fansf2e52ec4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 147956 ft
United States

Following, because I would like to know as well. My understanding is that the Mavic 2 Pro used the DJII Go 4 app, which had an upgraded version of waypoints compared to the Phantom drones. However, I was disappointed to learn the Mavic 3 uses the Fly App, which apparently has neither waypoints, nor the basica camera modes like shutter priority mode, aperture priority modes (according to Dpreviw review), nor manual color balance options. That's really hard to believe. Mind boggling, really. Almost like shelling out $3k for the latest prosumer digital camera and finding out you can only shoot in P mode.
2021-11-6
Use props
fans17d8ab8a
New

Netherlands

Agree. Waypoints must be standard for a drone for this price.
2021-11-10
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8748281 ft
Uruguay

fansf2e52ec4 Posted at 11-6 21:10
Following, because I would like to know as well. My understanding is that the Mavic 2 Pro used the DJII Go 4 app, which had an upgraded version of waypoints compared to the Phantom drones. However, I was disappointed to learn the Mavic 3 uses the Fly App, which apparently has neither waypoints, nor the basica camera modes like shutter priority mode, aperture priority modes (according to Dpreviw review), nor manual color balance options. That's really hard to believe. Mind boggling, really. Almost like shelling out $3k for the latest prosumer digital camera and finding out you can only shoot in P mode.

M3 main camera has F2.8-11 stops so aperture priority is possible
2021-11-12
Use props
djiuser_cf6Lf3dToVAU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2448747 ft
United States

Absolutely we need SDK ASAP so that all the developers can unleash the power of this drone!
2021-11-12
Use props
Super pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174905 ft
Russia

Read the DJI website for information on the available Intelligent Flight Modes for the Mavic 3. If the drone firmware does not support Waypoints, then the SDK will not. The lack of Waypoints in the latest DJI drones forces the use of older models such as the Phantom 4 Pro / Advanced, Mavic 2.
2021-11-14
Use props
goalie.brent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 728520 ft
Canada

I just heard a reviewer say that DJI does not plan to have Waypoints for the Mavic 3.  This is so disappointing!  I use Waypoints a lot!  No Waypoints?  No Mavic 3 purchase for me!!!  
2021-12-10
Use props
Neonridr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 173064 ft
Canada

goalie.brent Posted at 12-10 05:30
I just heard a reviewer say that DJI does not plan to have Waypoints for the Mavic 3.  This is so disappointing!  I use Waypoints a lot!  No Waypoints?  No Mavic 3 purchase for me!!!

There was a new firmware update for the Mavic 3 which added a bunch of features.  There is a waypoint mode that was added as well, not sure if it's exactly what people want, but it's a start.
2021-12-10
Use props
djiuser_NnwFvzjEzzWt
New

Germany

Neonridr Posted at 12-10 12:00
There was a new firmware update for the Mavic 3 which added a bunch of features.  There is a waypoint mode that was added as well, not sure if it's exactly what people want, but it's a start.

Waypoint Mode in m3? Can you explain this in more detail? Can not imagine as so with the few words.
2021-12-11
Use props
DroneImageWA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 743799 ft
Australia

goalie.brent Posted at 12-10 05:30

DJI responded to my support ticket about the API and said it's not a priority for them for iOS Mobile SDK (so basically expect no API/waypoints on the Mavic 3 ever if you are on iOS). Maybe something will come if you buy their smart controller (maybe - but the original smart controller would overheat and crash when running any app with waypoints anyway so it was effectively useless).

It's absolutely appalling that they aren't offering this as the Mavic as professional videographers and photographers need a way to automate their workflows. Point in space time-lapses for example require the drone to fly to an exact point every time of days/weeks/months of repetition - trying to do fly that manually is literally impossible. All of this worked perfectly on the Mavic 2.

It's extremely disappointing to hear. And unfortunately, it means keeping a Mavic 2 or Phantom for these types of jobs as the Mavic 3 isn't likely to ever have the relevant functionality.
2021-12-17
Use props
djiuser_KVYwBjNLQowG
lvl.1

United States

Why is this such a hard topic for dji to pin down and resolve? Is it not a simple matter of an over the air update? Imo the purchase of the m3 and high sales leads to a lack of motivation for dji to do so.
2021-12-19
Use props
djiuser_356jlWpEuiJm
lvl.2
United States

Like what so many here are saying, this is something we deserve a straightforward answer from DJI regarding, amongst other things.  

How is it that there is no clarity on a roadmap for the Waypoints feature on the Mavic flagship *successor* Mavic 3, for something that was implemented long ago on M2P and already known by DJI to be so highly touted?  

Ambiguous response on Waypoints feature, no worldwide confirmation+pricing for bundle with RC Pro, lack of photography/control features ported to Fly App that were refined in DJI GO 4 existing for many years ago for M2P.  I see some improvements with latest update, but those are things that should have shipped with a commercialized product.  For the hefty price, lack of clarity on some big things are keeping folks on the sidelines and are also stuff current owner really deserve.

DJI, do you have any comments that can provide clarity on the above?
2021-12-19
Use props
djiuser_1nroMX3MznBV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137671 ft
  • >>>
United States

goalie.brent Posted at 2021-12-10 05:30

No waypoints is a deal breaker for me.  No waypoints no M3 :-(
2022-1-28
Use props
Bernard Schutte
New

Australia

djiuser_1nroMX3MznBV Posted at 1-28 08:35
No waypoints is a deal breaker for me.  No waypoints no M3 :-(

It is a real pity. Someone is sleeping at the wheel.
2022-2-21
Use props
fansc285498f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4494124 ft
Canada

fansf2e52ec4 Posted at 2021-11-6 21:10
Following, because I would like to know as well. My understanding is that the Mavic 2 Pro used the DJII Go 4 app, which had an upgraded version of waypoints compared to the Phantom drones. However, I was disappointed to learn the Mavic 3 uses the Fly App, which apparently has neither waypoints, nor the basica camera modes like shutter priority mode, aperture priority modes (according to Dpreviw review), nor manual color balance options. That's really hard to believe. Mind boggling, really. Almost like shelling out $3k for the latest prosumer digital camera and finding out you can only shoot in P mode.

I’m pretty sure I no why there won’t be any Waypoints, everyone is aware of the GPS signal issue when starting up your drone it takes a long time to lock in the Satellite. The main reason is the GPS chip isn’t the same as the Mavic 2 it’s a hardware problem not a software problem, they will say it’s a software thing but the real truth is the chip that why there’s no Waypoints the GPS chip can’t handle the GPS Waypoint s demands
2022-3-27
Use props
fansc285498f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4494124 ft
Canada

I’m so disappointed with DJI I bought the new Mav3 and I’m hoping they release waypoints , for this amount of $$$$$ it shoukd gace this feature period, DJI come on get your ... togesther
2022-4-8
Use props
fans40f1c677
lvl.1
Australia

Seems this subject is falling on deaf ears, sad really our business has used dji drones for many years and waypoints is a major part of most drones daily duties, guess it’s come time to look elsewhere for suitable spec drones for the job sadly!
2022-7-21
Use props
peteredoc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204140 ft
United States

This post suggests the Mobile SDK v5 is planned to support Mavic 3 by around the end of August.  Not sure about the v4 SDK.
2022-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules