Galaxy Tablet S 8.4"
12Next >
7387 45 2015-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ryandoe11
lvl.1

United States

Hello, Been using my iphone 5 but looking for a new screen to view the footage.. Can someone please tell me if the Galaxy Tablet S 8.4'' wifi model will work with the DJI Pilot app? On the ios app it only say the apple devices available, and i dont know anything about andriod devices? Found a good deal on this on craigslist and would deffintly like to pick it up if you guys can just help me out, thanks a lot!
2015-8-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

stay with apple you will regret androids!!
2015-8-1
Use props
Ryandoe11
lvl.1

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-2 09:50

Okay that was my worries. Thanks
2015-8-1
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Why? I use android and i dont have any issue. No overheating like some ios users have. Costs Half as much as well. I tried an ipad air and there is no perceptible difference in the video. The main thing missing is the simulator which i find rather useless anyway. Stored flights do open quicker on the ipad.
MANY here with ipad issues.
2015-8-1
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

Ryandoe11 Posted at 2015-8-2 09:59
Okay that was my worries. Thanks

Wonder why the remote doesnt come with a lightning connector?
2015-8-1
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

haha. one Apple fanboy comment and the discussion is over.
2015-8-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-8-2 11:31
Why? I use android and i dont have any issue. No overheating like some ios users have. Costs Half a ...

i have used cheapo android tablet, nexus tablet, galaxy, untold other android tablets i got from friends to try, they were both lit-kat and lolipop. i had freeze ups on almost every flight.
i am now using iphone 6+ and though it does freeze from time to time, for me it has worked the best. i have video chching disabled since i dont use the director, i got hardware decoding enabled. i put it in airplane mode and close any open app.
it would be interesting to do a poll to see how many android users and ios user we have and how many are happy with their devices.
reason no lightning cable is included does not mean dji is recommending android. probably the cost is less!!
2015-8-1
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Android is fine. 8.4 is cost effective and works great. I use both an 8.4 and a 10.1. No heat. Not the price of an iPad
2015-8-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-8-2 12:12
haha. one Apple fanboy comment and the discussion is over.

what does that mean
2015-8-1
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-2 12:32
Android is fine. 8.4 is cost effective and works great. I use both an 8.4 and a 10.1. No heat. Not t ...

I use a tab 4. Never crashed and runs cool. No simulator but i could care less about that. My only complaint is it takes some time to load previous flights. I wonder if the app is not able to use all of the cpu cores.
2015-8-1
Use props
bastell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

I use the 8.4 Tabs works perfect
2015-8-1
Use props
LiMeRiC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49239 ft
Hong Kong

I confirm that the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 works fine with the DJI Pilot app.
2015-8-1
Use props
Ryandoe11
lvl.1

United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-8-2 11:32
Wonder why the remote doesnt come with a lightning connector?

Hmmm very very good come back. I did notice that
2015-8-1
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I can also confirm the G-Tab S 8.4 works fine. Doesn't need ice-packs strapped to it, either.
2015-8-1
Use props
amadeus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202287 ft
Italy

I'm undecided whether to buy a tab 8.4 s or an iPad mini 2.
I would be led to prefer the tab s but I am concerned about the possible video lags of this....

What do you think about this specific problem?
I can proceed to purchase or is it better to buy an iPad Mini?
2015-8-2
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ryandoe11, here's a list of devices that DJI suggests and/or other people said are working well for them:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/which-device-s-do-you-use-to-run-the-dji-pilot-app.48525

It's important to ensure your tablet is running as efficiently as possible so it does not overheat and/or the DJI Pilot app does not lock up due to the performance of the tablet. Here are some tips that will help:

For Android devices: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=16777&pid=146682&fromuid=6149
For Apple devices: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-optimize-apple-device-for-best-dji-pilot-app-performance.48388

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-2
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

amadeus Posted at 2015-8-2 19:41
I'm undecided whether to buy a tab 8.4 s or an iPad mini 2.
I would be led to prefer the tab s but I ...

No device used with the Phanton is going to give 'zero' lag like a racing drone would. I dont believe the camera and lightbridge system is capable of it.
2015-8-2
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Galaxy Tab S 8.4 - as well as the Tab Pro 8.4 (199USD on sale) - has fast quad core processor, 16GB of RAM, a separate excellent graphics processor, a separate microSD slot and excellent display, GPS if you ever need it and it never (NEVER) runs hot or lags (in my experience with P3A only).

BUT, you should DUMP/turn off the Samsung bloatware forever, AND run in Airplane mode when using the Pilot App to be completely happy. The device will ask if you want to run in "debug mode" each time you plug into the controller - Just say OK.

That said, I've used my wife's iPad Mini 2 and it is pretty doggone slick as well.  And you get to use a simulator on that, too. Good luck with whatever you choose.
2015-8-2
Use props
amadeus
lvl.3
Italy

OK, my question was misplaced....
I know that a minimum of lag is an integral part of the transmission system.

Anyway, what I was referring is not the lag itself but the ability of the device to play a fluid and smooth movie instead the hiccup play that we can see for many android devices..

Regarding this specific aspect, how is placed the tab s 8.4 with respect the Ipad mini?

Thanks a lot!
2015-8-3
Use props
Ryandoe11
lvl.1

United States

okay so i did get the tab s and to give my opinion i absouletly hate it running the app.. it is an amazing tablet and good processor but the problem is not any the devices of Android it is DJI's app. the Android app seems to be way behind updates than iOS is.. not necessarily way behind but is in need of some debugging.. I already have the tab listed on eBay and going to swap it out for the iPad mini.. if the app was up to par the bigger screen of the Tab would be ideal! you get immersed into the footage with its very wide screen tablet. It is a shame that this is the case, but it always goes haywire after a few minutes in the app. But for now it will have to get the job done,, still using it over my iPhone.
2015-8-3
Use props
Ryandoe11
lvl.1

United States

should have listened..
2015-8-3
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

Ryandoe11 Posted at 2015-8-4 13:44
should have listened..

u r welcome. dji pilot app requires a lot of processing power and no android is close enough to the Apple's processors and the way they do the processing!!. But hey what do i know, only been in computers for the past nearly 30 years, so much so that now i own a bar and put up with drunks.
i can not believe any person that says their android or apple has worked great and without a glitchhe dji app, so when u hear anyone say that, hmmmm!!
have a nice day u all
2015-8-3
Use props
sns
lvl.2

Ukraine

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-4 14:07
u r welcome. dji pilot app requires a lot of processing power and no android is close enough to th ...

As far as I know CPUs used in Apple and Android devices of the same architecture and high-end android cpu's are more powerfull than those Apple uses.
It is little known that Android is, actually, a Java VM that has quite an overhead, don't know about IOS architecture. In terms of cpu power and productivity - some high-end android device are faster than Apple - check tests.
Another question is that some optimizations are better with Apple than with Android and, there are, vice versa. So, to say that Apple is better - is quite wrong.
And Apple has its own glitches and "catches". So let's not start any holywars and be balanced. I would imagine that mine experience with Apple could be on the same "anger" level with sentences like "this is not allowed in here, and there are even no settings for that!".
Someone likes more "polish" and others do like more "freedom".

My Samsung Note 4 works quite perfect with DJI App, despite it sometimes looses video link, wich is entirely an RC connection problems. With no airplane mode or some services downgrades or any other light hackings.
2015-8-4
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

sns Posted at 2015-8-4 16:33
As far as I know CPUs used in Apple and Android devices of the same architecture and high-end andr ...

Sounds good.
2015-8-4
Use props
guy.keren
lvl.2

United States

I'm using Galaxy tab s 8.4" T700, fast processor and 3G of RAM, so it is a good match.  Works great for me, no issues.
2015-8-4
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Up until today, both products struggled at some point with the 1.2.6 and 1.2.8 fw, and the pilot app!  Hoping 1.3.2 and the GO app will let ios and android both shine!
2015-8-4
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-4 14:07
u r welcome. dji pilot app requires a lot of processing power and no android is close enough to th ...

I like my iPad - it's a 2nd generation from several years back and I use it mostly as a glorified reader. Frankly, I hate being drug around by the nose by iTunes. I think the MAC is a fantastic media machine if that's what you need. Beyond that, virtually everything I use in the non-media environment is well covered by Micro$oft.

It's laughable that one of the big comparisons most people make between the Solo and the Phantom 3 is that the Phantom 3 is cheaper - and they list the $999 price for the Advanced version. And they point out that you have to buy a camera for the Solo, driving the cost up even further.

Well, show the price for the Pro version of the P3, then add $400 to $600 for an iPad of some form and you're suddenly no longer comparing apples to oranges.

If the only true solution is another Apple product then I'll be more than willing to sell my P3.
2015-8-5
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-5 21:05
I like my iPad - it's a 2nd generation from several years back and I use it mostly as a glorified  ...

And what is the range on solo? 1/2 mile
What's the flight time? Same as p3
Does it have cool features, such as follow me, circle, and virtual tether? Yes it does, but we hope dji brings the follow me back at least, and the waypoints etc etc.
2015-8-5
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

I work in IT and am a big "anti-banana" person in general.  I can't stand being forced into their proprietary land.  HOWEVER, I did purchase an ipad air 2 recently for my P3.  I wanted a tablet, good tablet, and I didn't want to have to upgrade again for a while.  I looked at several android devices which I prefer.  They are cheaper, LOTS cheaper and probably work similarly well.  The reason I chose the ipad is because the app does seem more refined and stable AND I caught the ipad on sale for $125 off making it only slightly higher than the android.  I will say that so far I am happy.  Everything works smooth, no lag, no glitches or hangs, easy to see screen even in the sun.  I opted for the wi-fi only version which really irritates me.  I couldn't bring myself to spend almost $200 more for the broadband version,,,,,, figuring I can just tether to my phone or use it with no maps when needed, but what I have found is that this ipad doesn't even have a GPS module in it which I did not know when I bought it.  The problem is you can never set your remote as the home location (haven't verified if tethering fixes this yet but I hope it does).  So,,,,, long story, if I had chosen the broadband model I would be 100% happy except for the cost and feeling like I am going to break it all the time.  The odd thing is that I can't find any other useful thing it does that I can't do better on my Android phone or PC.  And I HATE being locked in where I can't customize things.
2015-8-5
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-5 21:56
And what is the range on solo? 1/2 mile
What's the flight time? Same as p3
Does it have cool feat ...

Unlike many others, I tend not to let my Phantom get that far away. To me 1/2 mile is a long way away. I tend to keep it truly line-of-sight and close enough that it's somewhat more of a dot in the sky! I'm actually having more fun with my Chroma than I am with my Phantom.
2015-8-5
Use props
informatie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2953 ft
Netherlands

Currently I use an iPhone 6 for flying but I have an Ipad Air as well. I thought the iPhone was too small and the iPad too big.  So I considered two options: iPad mini 3 and Galaxy Tab S 8.4. Galaxy Tab S was heralded for its brightness. iPad mini was said to have poor brightness. Both were said to be fast enough. I opted for the Galaxy but turned out to be very dissapointed. the video feed on the galaxy is so choppy that I find it unusable. The brightness of the Galaxy can be good but the ambient light sensor has a mind of its own and makes the screen turn dark whenever it likes. (Apparently brightness should be set to automatic for it to reach maximum brightness so turning ambient light sensor of wouldn't help.)
Galaxy is in a drawer now. Flying with the iPhone 6 again, which, apart for the screen size, is perfect so I think I'll learn to live with the smaller screen.
2015-8-5
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

informatie@publ Posted at 2015-8-6 05:31
Currently I use an iPhone 6 for flying but I have an Ipad Air as well. I thought the iPhone was too  ...

Try the galaxy again once you have the latest firmware on your phantom..it should work better.
2015-8-5
Use props
kmdmb
lvl.1

United States

I am using the oldest original Nexus 7 and it works perfectly.  No lag or crashes after I downgraded Google Play as instructed in the forum.  
2015-8-5
Use props
Shutter
lvl.2

Sweden

I have a Tab S 8.4, works great.
2015-8-5
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-8-5 22:19
I work in IT and am a big "anti-banana" person in general.  I can't stand being forced into their pr ...

Totally agree. I'm with Burke. If I had to use Apple I would be out of this hobby. I tried it years ago and hated it. Never gotten past it. The new FW is smooth as silk on both my tabs and I am grinning from ear to ear cause I have $275 in an 8.4 AND a 10.1.
2015-8-5
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

kmdmb Posted at 2015-8-6 06:29
I am using the oldest original Nexus 7 and it works perfectly.  No lag or crashes after I downgraded ...

Play is no longer an issue for me withe new FW.
2015-8-5
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

Ok, just did some more testing.  Since the ipad air2 wifi only version does not have a gps, if I tether it to my phone or a wireless hotspot, does it feed a gps signal to the ipad?  The reason I ask is if I try to reset the homepoint to my location it tells me it can't get GPS signal.  Does that mean that I CAN NOT use this feature unless I have an ipad with the 4G card in it?  
2015-8-5
Use props
amadeus
lvl.3
Italy

On this and some other threads I read mixed reviews about the galaxy tab s 8.4...

For me, now it's time to purchase!

Is there someone who has been able to test this tablet with the last available FW (1.3.20) and with the last DJI GO app (V 2.0.1)?
If yes, what is the verdict regarding the quality of the video?
Is it fluid, smooth and hiccup free or still suffers of the typical stuttering that affects a lot of android devices?
2015-8-13
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

I love using my Galaxy Tab S 8.4.  DJI aside, the screen quality is stunning.

When I first downloaded the DJI Pilot App, I was disappointed that it was not working properly with my Phantom 3 Advanced.  I'm sure you have heard all about the lag issues and crashing.  That being said, I did the following to correct it and I have not had any issues since (keep in mind you may not have to do everything I list here, it seems like the key to my success is #1)

1. Uninstalled the updates for google play services
2. I had previously installed the Android Smart Task Manager App and used it to kill everything I could running in the background.
3. Went into settings > Applications > Force Stopped everything
4. Hit the double squares on the tab and closed everything.

If you do get the Tab S you will need to put it into what I think is called "developer mode" there are instructions on how to do it, and that will give you the option to allow for debugging.  I hope that makes sense, I only had to do it one time and it was early July so I hope I am explaining that well enough for you.

Don't kid yourself Samsung makes some of the best screens on the market.  I love my Tab S.  I just wish DJI would make a decent application for it that wouldn't require me to have to update Google play and then downgrade it every time I use my drone.  

There may be better workarounds that I am unaware of, I just wanted to share with you what has worked for me.
2015-8-13
Use props
amadeus
lvl.3
Italy

Thanks a lot Booradley!

So, you tell me that without the known expedient regarding the downgrade of the "google play services" (...and any further actions in your list), with the last available FW and SW update it is still impossible to have an hiccup free video with this tablet!
I am sorry for this!
I know the quality of the tab s and I was very reliant on its performance...

At this point I think I will buy an apple product! I do not love these products for a lot of reasons, but their reliability and the ios stability cannot be denied!
2015-8-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules