High Current Draw error and crash
1072 3 2014-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mark
New

United States

I was flying my Vision 2 over the ocean when I got a error msg on iPhone app. It was "High Current Draw Error" or something like that. The Phantom then descended into the ocean never to be seen again. I can't find any info on this error message. I have seen it once before, but it went away in a few seconds. This time it persisted and slowly landed in the water within 5 seconds. I was maybe 10 min into flight in light to calm winds, hovering and taking video. Any idea what went wrong? I am probably a month or two behind on updates.
Thanks for any insights. Trying to figure out if I want to buy another one or not. I have been hearing more an more battery and flyaway issues...
2014-11-27
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

This could be anything in reality, without the unit and even with, theres so many variables.
If your app updated and your bird didn't, could this be an issue??, but which particular one......

I initially think this is normal behaviour.
For some reason the error has initiated the failsafe and the drone is told to land immediately.
This can happen anywhere, anytime an error occurs, at least yours was trying to land and not crashing.

If there was any sign of previous error, I would of sourced this ......or have it checked.

Its just bad luck it happened over water otherwise you would have a great investigation and autopsy to attend to, or send it back under warranty.

Only you can decide whether you can live within the rules of your Phantom, once bitten twice shy or get back on that horse...
This is one of the only devices I do not accept a "glitch" from.

Sorry for the loss.

2014-11-27
Use props
Stone
New

United States

I got one of these errors when flying today.  The battery status bar showed the dot well into the green,  but the flight time was listed at 1 minute.  A short time later it went to 2 minutes.  When I connected the Phantom to the app via USB it showed an invalid battery and none of the history or status was visible. Also a pop-up appeared from the lower right corner alerting to this. Suddenly all the information was displayed, as well as the discharge history and life.

Also, and possibly unrelated was my camera was repeatedly stopping during record.

Should I be scared?  
2015-6-1
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

The Phantom relies 100% on the battery to stay aloft. However, when there are issues with the battery being low voltage or high current draw the plane is set to autoland. It will go down and it doesn't care what's under it or where it is. I have had issues with one of my batteries and my plane auto landed twice. One was ok a couple of hundred yards away on a neighbors lawn. The second was a crash by trying to auto land in the woods. I found my battery was dropping from 65% down to 8% causing it to auto land. Since I have 4 batteries it took me a whilemtomfigure what was going on and with which battery.  Have to keep and eye on the battery operation and function. Even though they may test ok the may have issues that can cause problems. I test the bad battery and even the assistant indicated to battery had A 90 % usage remaining yet after 5-6 minutes of flight time the battery voltage would drop way down.
2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules