Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
This Will Make You THINK TWICE About Flying The DJI Mini 2 FAR AWAY
12Next >
5237 72 2021-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This Will Make You THINK TWICE About Flying The DJI Mini 2 FAR AWAY

2021-11-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Co. Antrim coast?
2021-11-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another interesting video you found DA.  

VLOS is a very contentious subject as there are so many variables.  I fly all my drones with a strobe light to make it easier for me to maintain VLOS.  However, I always try to get close to what I desire to film and then launch.  I think 250m is about my VLOS limit.
2021-11-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I read in the official articles that 500m is the max we can go in the UK regardless of whether you can see it, its a blanket 500m max
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 11-13 04:44
I read in the official articles that 500m is the max we can go in the UK regardless of whether you can see it, its a blanket 500m max

I’ve never seen 500m quoted in the EASA rules, pretty sure they say not beyond VLOS.
2021-11-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That was a long video for his statement.
2021-11-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 07:19
I’ve never seen 500m quoted in the EASA rules, pretty sure they say not beyond VLOS.

CAP722, page 36 - 2.1.1 Visual line of sight operations (VLOS) paragraph 2, hope that helps
2021-11-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 11-13 11:01

About 9 minutes longer than necessary to get his minimal message across.
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 11-13 17:00
CAP722, page 36 - 2.1.1 Visual line of sight operations (VLOS) paragraph 2, hope that helps

That’s a terribly bit of wording. Basically says could be more than 500m or could be less than depending on UA size.
2021-11-13
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-13 21:23
That’s a terribly bit of wording. Basically says could be more than 500m or could be less than depending on UA size.

Operations at a greater distance from the remote pilot may be permitted if an acceptable safety case is submitted

Thats only for those with the commercial certs not the likes of hobbyists, there's no way the CAA would grant us permissions to fly over 500m if we have a larger drone, they would just file it under poop lol
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 11-13 23:28
Operations at a greater distance from the remote pilot may be permitted if an acceptable safety case is submitted

Thats only for those with the commercial certs not the likes of hobbyists, there's no way the CAA would grant us permissions to fly over 500m if we have a larger drone, they would just file it under poop lol

I agree no chance.  But still badly worded. There’s no way you’re going to see any current Mavic any way near 500m.  And that’s probably true for all consumer based drones.
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 11-13 23:28

Thats only for those with the commercial certs not the likes of hobbyists, there's no way the CAA would grant us permissions to fly over 500m if we have a larger drone, they would just file it under poop lol

In fact they really are trying to hurt the hobby.  Most drones now need a 300m wide corridor away from anything to be able to fly that’s really limiting in these parts.
2021-11-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-13 04:41
Another interesting video you found DA.  

VLOS is a very contentious subject as there are so many variables.  I fly all my drones with a strobe light to make it easier for me to maintain VLOS.  However, I always try to get close to what I desire to film and then launch.  I think 250m is about my VLOS limit.

We can't do that here,   you cant rely on another device to make it easier to see like a strobe or telescope.   Partly because things around your drone without that strobe wont be visible either.
2021-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He does prattle on a bit.
2021-11-14
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Good finding DAFlys,

it's a reality. I use my drones for landscape photography, so being not that far away. But I wonder how people wanting to fly kilometres away maintain VLOS?
2021-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JohnDG Posted at 11-14 00:18
Good finding DAFlys,

it's a reality. I use my drones for landscape photography, so being not that far away. But I wonder how people wanting to fly kilometres away maintain VLOS?

Thats the thing,  at about 300 meters its gone as soon as you look away to the controller and back to the sky.   Most people forget that.
2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-14 00:13
He does prattle on a bit.

Some will like it this way
2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 11-13 17:25
About 9 minutes longer than necessary to get his minimal message across.

Unfortunately youtube believes this is an interesting video....
So I vote with my action (not watching)
2021-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 11-14 01:13
Some will like it this way

Anf a few have complained its too long.
2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-14 01:37
Anf a few have complained its too long.

Count me in.
2021-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I coud have guessed that.
2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 11-14 01:41
I coud have guessed that.

2021-11-14
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

That's typical for YouTube videos. A normal "instruction" video consist of:
1. A lengthy brag about the author where nothing of importance skines out. Of course the part where he asks the viewer to subscribe is there for 5 minutes.
2. An even more lengthy "instruction" part where the author repeats everything that is self-evident 5 times and the swiftly pass over the only part most viewers are interested in.
3. An epilog where he repeats his request for subscriptions!

All this in most videos could have been summarized in a few lines of text. Unfortunately it seems that most people nowadays cannot read so they must watch these types of videos. One of the admins here even asked a member to submit a video of a LED that didn't blink! Incredible!
2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Johnny_J Posted at 11-14 03:01
1. A lengthy brag about the author where nothing of importance skines out. Of course the part where he asks the viewer to subscribe is there for 5 minutes.
2. An even more lengthy "instruction" part where the author repeats everything that is self-evident 5 times and the swiftly pass over the only part most viewers are interested in.

It is the lazy brains and mentality of many viewers I guess that want to be entertained instead of figure out things themselves.
And unfortunately youtube pushes this kind of content, as it generates a lot of viewing minutes.
So I won't be watching and hope I make a small difference
2021-11-14
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 11-14 03:27
It is the lazy brains and mentality of many viewers I guess that want to be entertained instead of figure out things themselves.
And unfortunately youtube pushes this kind of content, as it generates a lot of viewing minutes.
So I won't be watching and hope I make a small difference

Precisely! I never watch stupid YouTube "instruction" videos. I can watch some of the good materials here filmed from a drone but never from someone having an iPhone (hence proven a non-tech) and trying to "instruct" technical stuff ...
2021-11-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-14 00:12
We can't do that here,   you cant rely on another device to make it easier to see like a strobe or telescope.   Partly because things around your drone without that strobe wont be visible either.

Same here.  However, like I mentioned I never fly that far away and could still see it without a strobe.  Guess the strobe is just a bit of a confidence booster.  
2021-11-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-14 04:04
Same here.  However, like I mentioned I never fly that far away and could still see it without a strobe.  Guess the strobe is just a bit of a confidence booster.

2021-11-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Johnny_J Posted at 11-14 03:34
Precisely! I never watch stupid YouTube "instruction" videos. I can watch some of the good materials here filmed from a drone but never from someone having an iPhone (hence proven a non-tech) and trying to "instruct" technical stuff ...

I let YT know I'm not interested in my feed, so that helps for me.
2021-11-14
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

Johnny_J Posted at 11-14 03:01
2. An even more lengthy "instruction" part where the author repeats everything that is self-evident 5 times and the swiftly pass over the only part most viewers are interested in.

That is why it is covinient to use the progress slider. towarts the interesting part or to end the video when it get's boring.

Lucky we have a choice to do so.
2021-11-15
Use props
steamship
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229180 ft
Iceland

DAFlys Posted at 11-14 00:13
He does prattle on a bit.

Maybe he kissed the Blarney stone, although he's somewhat lacking in 'eloquence and persuasiveness'. I shouldn't really complain as I'm in Northern Ireland as well.

I couldn't be bothered watching it as I find his videos repetitive, repetitive, repetitive, in order to stretch them out. I am curious though. Did he say it was a 'secret', like his 'secret settings' video?
2021-11-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Johnny_J Posted at 11-14 03:34

You know techies are issued iPhones because they are very secure.
2021-11-15
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Only thing this made me think twice about is ever watching another of his videos!
2021-11-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He needs some blooming  Vicks Sinex, i love the Irish accent more so in the ladies mind lol but damn, his voice grips my poop
2021-11-15
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is where I disagree with the narrator on one point. He says that even if you can spot it at say 500 meters away, there is no way to fly it back by visual only. There is a way, but it is only a 50% chance of success. If I could see the Mini dot in the sky, I would fly forward and slowly yaw it until it appeared stationary in the sky. It is then pointed either toward you or away, then just fly straight ahead. Remember I said it was 50% reliable ;-)
2021-11-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 11-15 20:16
Here is where I disagree with the narrator on one point. He says that even if you can spot it at say 500 meters away, there is no way to fly it back by visual only. There is a way, but it is only a 50% chance of success. If I could see the Mini dot in the sky, I would fly forward and slowly yaw it until it appeared stationary in the sky. It is then pointed either toward you or away, then just fly straight ahead. Remember I said it was 50% reliable ;-)

Gary that would absolutely work.   
2021-11-16
Use props
Johnny_J
lvl.4

Sweden

GaryDoug Posted at 11-15 20:16
Here is where I disagree with the narrator on one point. He says that even if you can spot it at say 500 meters away, there is no way to fly it back by visual only. There is a way, but it is only a 50% chance of success. If I could see the Mini dot in the sky, I would fly forward and slowly yaw it until it appeared stationary in the sky. It is then pointed either toward you or away, then just fly straight ahead. Remember I said it was 50% reliable ;-)

I would fly forward and slowly yaw it until it moved left or right. Then I yaw it towards me and fly home.
2021-11-16
Use props
cloudburst
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm in Northern Ireland too, a retired helicopter pilot and also a fairly inexperienced, but impressed owner of a DJI Mini 2.

If this chap didn't come across as being just so self-righteous, then I probably wouldn't say "Where's your OperatorID label, buddy?"

CB
2021-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

cloudburst Posted at 11-16 08:25
I'm in Northern Ireland too, a retired helicopter pilot and also a fairly inexperienced, but impressed owner of a DJI Mini 2.

If this chap didn't come across as being just so self-righteous, then I probably wouldn't say "Where's your OperatorID label, buddy?"

You do know they dont need to be visible on the outside of the AC? You can place it anywhere thats tools are not required to find it,   so under the battery on the M2P or on the batter cover on a Mini2 are both very acceptable.
2021-11-16
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unless ya in the UK, then it needs to be visible

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/labelling-drones

What I did was make a tiny lable with the background close to the color of the AC, then a slith of cello tape to keep it secure
2021-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 11-16 10:14
Unless ya in the UK, then it needs to be visible

https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/labelling-drones

The rule says

How to label your drone or model aircraft

Your operator ID must be:

visible from the outside, or within a compartment that can easily be accessed without using a tool
clear and in block capitals taller than 3mm

secure and safe from damage
on the main body of the aircraft
2021-11-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules