[newbie] VLOS in heavily wooded area
550 4 2021-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jetguat
lvl.1

United States

Hi.   

new to the forum. Been doing lots of reading, in preparation for my first drone.  Probably will jump in with a Mini 2, unless (fingers crossed) the rumors pan out and in the next short time before Christmas the Mini 3 makes an appearance.

I've been reading about things like no flying over National Parks.  Restrictions on flying over people.  etc etc.  But what I'm trying to learn more on, w.r.t VLOS.

We have some property in the further northern reaches the Upper Peninsula (Michigan).   Heavily wooded.   That was one of the primary area I was planning on having some fun with a new drone  Flying out a bit over Lake Superior and over the acreage we have.   VLOS isnt possible even a 100 feet when surrounded by tall trees.   So whats a hobbyist to do?  Of course I dont expect people to say break the law.   But then again, if I'm flying over my own property, are there excemptions for VLOS?

When i read about the rules and restrictions about recreational flying, and watch examples, it seems a great many are rolling the dice in following the rules/laws.

Thanks for some insight about flying in heavily wooded area.

2021-11-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No exceptions for VLOS,  You should see it at all times,   in USA you can have a spotter though.     Just because you are over your own property doesn't mean you are flying in your own airspace and something else sharing that space may be affected which you wouldn't be able to see.    That said in reality Its sure most people fly out side VLOS at one time or another.   
2021-11-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

VLOS means literally - if you can't see it you shouldn't be flying it.  Over your own extensive property you may feel that the risk is minimal. but you can't legislate for possible trespassers on the ground, or other aerial devices overflying your property.
2021-11-18
Use props
jetguat
lvl.1

United States

Thanks Blériot53 and DAFlys for your replies.  much appreciated.  

(restating that I'm new at this, and in fact dont even own a drone just yet).  I have to consider all the video's I've watched, and though how cool they are.  In hindsight now, wow,  how 90% must have been taking liberties with the FAA regulations.  Either at night. Or over a city.  Over a National Park.  Over a forest, following a stream.  Over beaches (filled with people).   Granted there are plenty of awesome ones over some frozen tundra in Montana or Alaska where you can see for miles.

If you're properly trained, registered,   do the VLOS rules change?  Maybe that a loaded or to large of question to ask here.  I'm just wondering,  if taken seriously (as all unmaned aircraft should be), or if you were to film for real estate/survey, or sporting events (trail runs, not something like a game within a stadium).   For those licenses pilots are the VLOS rules the same?

Thanks for taking time in reading and  answering
2021-11-18
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jetguat Posted at 11-18 15:37
Thanks Blériot53 and DAFlys for your replies.  much appreciated.  

(restating that I'm new at this, and in fact dont even own a drone just yet).  I have to consider all the video's I've watched, and though how cool they are.  In hindsight now, wow,  how 90% must have been taking liberties with the FAA regulations.  Either at night. Or over a city.  Over a National Park.  Over a forest, following a stream.  Over beaches (filled with people).   Granted there are plenty of awesome ones over some frozen tundra in Montana or Alaska where you can see for miles.

VLOS, so far as I know, is sacrosanct. No exceptions.  And yes, much of what you see on YT  (and indeed on TV these days) cannot have been achieved without infringing one prohibition or another.  Any drone pilot who tells you he's never commited an infraction, I would say is being economical with the truth.
The first principle when flying a drone, of course, is safety. Let common sense guide you. If you have such a large private wooded area, then the risk to others could be judged to be minimal. Out over the big public lake, however, would be a different matter.
2021-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules