Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My drone committed suicide
1804 25 2021-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Explolog
New
Flight distance : 32556 ft
Turkey

I bought a Mavic mini 2, 1 day ago and it was my 23. flight it was 6 pm and after 20 seconds it took off it gave weird errors like max altitude reached and other thing and the thing is it was flying at 5 meters high and the limit was 100 I was going to land because of the errors but it suddenly went to full speed and I wasn't touching the remote and it crashed to metal fence at 29kmh it works but the gimbal and the 2 rotors are destroyed I don't know what can I do or would the insurance fix it.
2021-11-19
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you ran into a Max Altitude reached when the drone was only 5 metres up, that sounds like you were flying without GPS - see p40 in the manual.
Flying off at full speed sounds a lot like a yaw error which was not able to cause a problem until the drone acquired GPS.

To solve the mystery of your incident, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.
2021-11-19
Use props
Explolog
New
Flight distance : 32556 ft
Turkey

Labroides Posted at 11-19 17:32
If you ran into a Max Altitude reached when the drone was only 5 metres up, that sounds like you were flying without GPS - see p40 in the manual.
Flying off at full speed sounds a lot like a yaw error which was not able to cause a problem until the drone acquired GPS.

Here is my log file, I looked at the phantom help website and it shows there was like Thousands of errors and it shows I am not touching at the forward joystick and it goes up to 54kmh while I am doing nothing

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/HAUQE42BCMOGDTN2YJBU/
2021-11-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There are smart people around here that can understand these log files.
Just share them and they will jump in.
2021-11-20
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Explolog Posted at 11-20 02:27
Here is my log file, I looked at the phantom help website and it shows there was like Thousands of errors and it shows I am not touching at the forward joystick and it goes up to 54kmh while I am doing nothing

Hi,

Had a look at your Mini2 flight.

You started this flight with zero satellites.
So after take-off, hovering stable using the bottom sensor.
So flying in OPTI mode, but after that into ATTI bc out of sensor range.

In ATTI mode no braking when releasing all the RC sticks, so hard to control if you are not a expirienced remote pilot.

After while some satellites receiving, Mini2 in sport mode but not stable as the GPS icon is red or amber.

Bc of this errors :
Positioning accuracy affected. Fly with caution | GPS signal weak. Hovering unstable. Fly with caution | GPS Position Mismatch etc.

So no compass yaw fly away, but an OPTI/ATTI/GPS 'fly-away' due to own pilot bacis 'errors'.
GPS speed calculation * show very high values, meaning that the receiving LatLon data is incorrect!
* distance between 2 records (so after 0.1 second of flight) > 110 meter! so software thinks that drone is not at position and starts to correct to the max.
Not often seen, i call this a GPS fly-away. see the googlemap chart, 2 positions in 0.1 sec.

SO next time ; always wait to see a white GPS icon top right = HP is set and you will fly in a GPS stabilized mode.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2021-11-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident that happened to the unit. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. To check the warranty period parts of your drone, you may click this link: https://www.dji.com/service/policy. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2021-11-20
Use props
Guorium
Captain
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

JJB* Posted at 11-20 04:38
Hi,

Had a look at your Mini2 flight.

I operated a takeoff from atti mode and after gaining height GPS started locking position. Transition was smooth so no instability in horizontal directions. Wonder what triggered the flyaway in OP's case...
2021-11-24
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Guorium Posted at 11-24 16:23
I operated a takeoff from atti mode and after gaining height GPS started locking position. Transition was smooth so no instability in horizontal directions. Wonder what triggered the flyaway in OP's case...

Good question, don`t know the answer.
Very rarely seen in flightlogs, guess i saw this 3 times in > thousends of logs.

I fly sometimes for test from in my house to outside, no problems doing that.
Flying into a dark covered area is also a good test , from P-GPs to OPTI to ATTI...(and back again)
2021-11-25
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Guorium Posted at 11-24 16:23

Wonder what triggered the flyaway in OP's case...
As I pointed out in the 2nd post, it was almost certainly a yaw error caused by powering up the drone at a site with steel close enough to the compass to give the IMU gyro sensor an incorrect initialisation value.
When the drone climbed away from the magnetic interference, the compass returned to reading correctly, but the gyro sensor didn't.
That data conflict starts the problem.
Similar incidents are reported here most weeks.
2021-11-25
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Explolog Posted at 11-20 02:27

A lot of people don't know the importance of having GPS on the drone.  Having the same confidence of having GPS and no GPS is a mistake.  The same confidence mistake also happens in other areas of life that gets people killed or worse.  The sense of everything isn't there as people are "expected" to know or the development for people to know has been lazy.  We just see the results from people who post but not everything makes it to a post or a post that everyone else can see.

Being able to fly without GPS requires different skills and can be equated to talent.  DIY pilots flying before GPS can do this given you can still see your drone.  See video 3 if people feel bored with 1 and 2.

2021-11-25
Use props
Guorium
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 11-25 02:53
As I pointed out in the 2nd post, it was almost certainly a yaw error caused by powering up the drone at a site with steel close enough to the compass to give the IMU gyro sensor an incorrect initialisation value.
When the drone climbed away from the magnetic interference, the compass returned to reading correctly, but the gyro sensor didn't.

I'd imagine if just the compass got messed up it would correct by spinning around itself. The fact OP's craft charged away at high speed does suggest the gyro was messed too in some way. Scary fault to have, could have given someone an unwanted haircut...
2021-11-25
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Guorium Posted at 11-25 04:59
I'd imagine if just the compass got messed up it would correct by spinning around itself. The fact OP's craft charged away at high speed does suggest the gyro was messed too in some way. Scary fault to have, could have given someone an unwanted haircut...

I'd imagine if just the compass got messed up it would correct by spinning around itself.

The compass isn't the problem.
It's the gyro that takes its initial directional reference from the compass when it's deflected by the magnetic interference.
The compass shows correct directional data when it gets away from the source of the problem, but the gyro can't and the conflicting data is a big problem when the drone tries to correct what it perceives as drifting off course.
Every correction it makes puts it further off, hence the rapid acceleration without joystick input.
2021-11-25
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 11-25 02:53

Hi Labroides,

Mayby it is a compass/yaw error, but no signs for that in the compass data in this flight.
So where do you think did the "compass returned to reading correctly" ?

Add a chart with the compass data and yaw input to make it simple to indicate where.

The moment the first GPS positons were recorded, very random positions...so what is the effect on holding a stabilized position when the distance between data recordings/processing is not the same as the actual move distance ?

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis4.png
2021-11-25
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Guorium Posted at 11-25 04:59

Hi,

See my data of one of my flights, take off from a wooden table with iron legs....

See the compass correct itself within few seconds in flight after take-off.
Seen this on my MINI2 and MA2, looks like DJI improved the software on this issue.

As seen in my chart, only UP and FWD input on the RC.
Actual fly was steady heading, only compass value changing.Watch the correction on the video.

In the little chart: see the compass jump, this indicates in a log a compass/yaw disturbance at initialisation.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis7.png
2021-11-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 11-25 07:57
Hi,

See my data of one of my flights, take off from a wooden table with iron legs....

Are you saying that the Mini 2 is more forgiving t when regards to magnetic interference than say the P4P, is this why folks are getting away with taking off from their sunroof with the Mini's?  I tried that one with the P4P, only once mind, NEVER again with any drone...
2021-11-25
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 11-25 19:38
Are you saying that the Mini 2 is more forgiving t when regards to magnetic interference than say the P4P, is this why folks are getting away with taking off from their sunroof with the Mini's?  I tried that one with the P4P, only once mind, NEVER again with any drone...

Hi Bashy,

I do not have or had a P4P, so cannot answer your question.
Just noticed that both my drones sometimes correct the compass after take-off.

And as i always keep my eyes on this (do a proper pre take-off heading check); never had a compass/yaw fly-away. (only few times on the Spark in flight; the reason to sell it...)

cheers
JJB
2021-11-26
Use props
Guorium
Captain
Australia

JJB* Posted at 11-25 07:57
Hi,

See my data of one of my flights, take off from a wooden table with iron legs....

Just to make it clear. You say DJI seemed to have improved the software because you see compass heading jump just drone remains stable?
2021-11-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 11-26 00:11
Hi Bashy,

I do not have or had a P4P, so cannot answer your question.

What do you mean by this?
It's natural that a deflected compass would correct itself if you move from the magnetic interference.
2021-11-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Guorium Posted at 11-27 01:48
Just to make it clear. You say DJI seemed to have improved the software because you see compass heading jump just drone remains stable?

Hi Guorium,

Totally not sure about this, but sometimes i see my compass heading is 'adjusted' after takeoff.
I always check before flying the actual heading of my drone with the heading seen in the fly app map mode. This particular flight i noticed that the heading in the app wasn`t 'exactly' the actual heading, just little offset. But not too much otherwise i would not have started this flight.
And after take-off compass heading changed to the actual heading.
And as you see in the video, drone did not changed heading ; steady as a rock.

So or i have noticed nonsense or i have noticed a compass wich corrects itself after take-off.
Wich is normal, but in some fly away cases this correction not direct after take off.

I will have a good eye on this the next flights (as i always do btw).

cheers
JJB
2021-11-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 11-27 02:29
What do you mean by this?
It's natural that a deflected compass would correct itself if you move from the magnetic interference.

Hi Labroides,

True, but the question behind this is ofcourse why would this not results in a fly-away?
With magn interference during initialisation the wrong compass heading is used for the gyro initial value.
So there is a conflict in heading once the compass is corrected when out of the influence of magn interference.

Or did DJI change their software such that the gyro is corrected too with the same heading change of the compass? Mayby with a if less than x degree offset gyro is set equal to the corrected compass value?

Guess i need to get my mini2 in such a situation (high magn interferenc) and see what happens after takeoff? [ in a wide open area so easy to 'land' if it start to fly away)

cheers
JJB

2021-11-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have noticed that if youre near a magnetic source, i mean you with the controller, the controller starts to point away from the direction you're actually facing, i.e standing under the boot lid of the car for instance, then move away from the car and you will see the controller indicator start to point the correct way the further away you move, granted, you don't need to move far, prob about 6 to 10 feet away and you're clear. is it possible this happened to you during that initial flight JJB, without realizing what was happening?
2021-11-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 11-27 02:49
Hi Labroides,

True, but the question behind this is ofcourse why would this not results in a fly-away?

did DJI change their software such that the gyro is corrected too with the same heading change of the compass?
They did something different for the Mavic 2 so that it is more resistant to yaw errors.
I'm not sure of how it works or what other drones might have a similar feature.
2021-11-27
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 11-27 05:03
did DJI change their software such that the gyro is corrected too with the same heading change of the compass?
They did something different for the Mavic 2 so that it is more resistant to yaw errors.
I'm not sure of how it works or what other drones might have a similar feature.

I think we can be safe to say that the P4P doesn't and seen as quite a few use their car to take off from with the Mini 2 (poss mini too) with no issues, so they must have something the P4P doesn't.
2021-11-27
Use props
Guorium
Captain
Australia

Isn't magnetometer only in charge of yaw control? Gyro manages pitch and roll control. If gyro initialized with wrong values (no recollection of what true horizontal is), upon a correction later it runs off.
2021-11-27
Use props
JJB*
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Guorium Posted at 11-27 05:39
Isn't magnetometer only in charge of yaw control? Gyro manages pitch and roll control. If gyro initialized with wrong values (no recollection of what true horizontal is), upon a correction later it runs off.

IMU has accelerometers and gyros, for pitch, roll and yaw.

At initialisation the compass ( the magnetometer) heading is used as start reference value in a yaw IMU channel.
So yaw moves are 'seen' by a) compass heading and b) yaw value in IMU wich gets move data from yaw gyro.

In normal situations both values are changed in the same direction and value ; thus no data conflict between the 2.

cheers
JJB
2021-11-27
Use props
Guorium
Captain
Australia

JJB* Posted at 11-27 09:17
IMU has accelerometers and gyros, for pitch, roll and yaw.

At initialisation the compass ( the magnetometer) heading is used as start reference value in a yaw IMU channel.

"b) yaw value in IMU wich gets move data from yaw gyro"

I don't quite get this.
2021-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules