4800 40 2021-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know if the M3 sensors can be switched off in DJI FLY? Cant find that.
It's  almost impossible to fly the M3 in a tight environment with obstacles  close. It shakes and jumps like crazy.

Also real bad is what is called  in DJI Go4 "Landing Protection". Seems to be a hidden and always active feature on the M3.
It delays  manual landing and makes hand catching almost impossible.

2021-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

put in sport No Sensors. But landing remain on.
2021-11-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Asked many times for option to switch-off/on the bottom sensor, DJI does not act on my request.
So it cannot switched off in the FlyApp.

Have no idea about the other sensors, APAS can be swichted off.

cheers
JJB
2021-11-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I fly mostly from my deck and I always land in sports mode. Have no issues then.
2021-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-20 09:22
put in sport No Sensors. But landing remain on.

Sport mode isn't going to be helpful in a tight environment that the OP is asking about.

Is it really not possible to disable the sensors on the M3?
It sounds less and less like a professional drone.
2021-11-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you can turn off obstacle avoidance very easily in the settings. No, you can not currently turn landing protection off.  There is no problem at all to hand catch the M3 or any other DJI drone with landing protection enabled.  I do it almost every flight with every DJI drone I own. The M3 is one of the easiest to do so because of its size compared to the smaller drones.
2021-11-20
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Can you enlighten me where this would be other than switching to Sports mode?
Thanks
2021-11-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 11-20 10:43
I fly mostly from my deck and I always land in sports mode. Have no issues then.

For an experienced operator, flying in close quarters in sports mode may not be too bad, but for a newer operator, this is a safety risk.  I land on my deck all of the time with full sensors on with no problems at all.  This is one of the few places I don't actually hand catch it.
2021-11-20
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 11-20 18:38
Can you enlighten me where this would be other than switching to Sports mode?
Thanks

I’m not in a place to be able to turn mine on to double check, but I believe it’s on the safety page near the top. There are 3 options for obstacle avoidance: Bypass, Brake, or Off.  I believe this same exact setting is there for the Air 2 and Air 2S.
2021-11-20
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I saw this. But nothing happens when I click on it.
Maybe this comes with the major January update?

I mean it's hillarious when you need to fly very close to obstacles you have to switch to Sports mode.
The tripod mode of the M2P is unbeatable so far in this scenario.
2021-11-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"It's  almost impossible to fly the M3 in a tight environment with obstacles  close"

Really? I flew mine all over my tiny activity room the evening I received it. No problems at all. OA on and no GPS but moving very slowly.
2021-11-20
Use props
MM M3 Cine
lvl.2
United States

I will confirm this post. My Cine’s obstacle avoidance is having problems. Navigating tight spaces, being somewhat close objects and hand catching are nearly impossible. Sport mode no problem. In fact, the one time I was able to hand catch it, all four motors automatically kicked into full throttle. Fully pressing and holding down on the left joystick did nothing. Luckily my wife was close by and so I handed her the controller and she engaged the emergency motor kill function. I literally had to hold the thing with both hands to keep it from taking off (kinda scary). I’ve caught my other drones by hand hundreds of times and have never had this type of thing happen before. Something is up with obstacle avoidance on some M3’s unfortunately.
2021-11-20
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 11-20 18:25
Sport mode isn't going to be helpful in a tight environment that the OP is asking about.

Is it really not possible to disable the sensors on the M3?

Hey Labroides - it's been a long time :-)

I think + hope these missing features are not an M3 issue but a DJI FLY app not being fully functional for the M3 yet. I have read complaints about DJI throwing the M3 on the market before the holiday season with the app missing some major features.
2021-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 11-20 18:25

Is it really not possible to disable the sensors on the M3?

Who said it was a professional drone, the fact that more amateurs will use it than professionals, what does that say about it. They have also dropped the tag of pro with this drone. I think your confused with the fact that the cine model has pro res and 1TB of storage mainly used by professional videographers , but both versions are the same. But since you’re talking about profesionals its very easy to fly this drone even in sport mode under control and would be a piece of cake for “any professional “ I think kloogee above has said it can be turned off, ill confirm later if its working, and if so the professionals will have no problem turning off and flying in cine mode .
2021-11-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MM M3 Cine Posted at 11-20 20:53
I will confirm this post. My Cine’s obstacle avoidance is having problems. Navigating tight spaces, being somewhat close objects and hand catching are nearly impossible. Sport mode no problem. In fact, the one time I was able to hand catch it, all four motors automatically kicked into full throttle. Fully pressing and holding down on the left joystick did nothing. Luckily my wife was close by and so I handed her the controller and she engaged the emergency motor kill function. I literally had to hold the thing with both hands to keep it from taking off (kinda scary). I’ve caught my other drones by hand hundreds of times and have never had this type of thing happen before. Something is up with obstacle avoidance on some M3’s unfortunately.

Well then there is something wrong with your drone, because there is no problem hand landing or catching this drone in fact because the under carriage is quite long its a lot easier than smaller drones. If your having to use CSC then definitely something wrong.
2021-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 11-20 22:40
Who said it was a professional drone, the fact that more amateurs will use it than professionals, what does that say about it. They have also dropped the tag of pro with this drone. I think your confused with the fact that the cine model has pro res and 1TB of storage mainly used by professional videographers , but both versions are the same. But since you’re talking about profesionals its very easy to fly this drone even in sport mode under control and would be a piece of cake for “any professional “ I think kloogee above has said it can be turned off, ill confirm later if its working, and if so the professionals will have no problem turning off and flying in cine mode .

Who said it was a professional drone
DJI
They say:  DJI Mavic 3 is a powerful flagship camera drone equipped with a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera to facilitate professional-level imaging.
It costs much more than their smaller Mavics
And pros are always looking for equiopment that suits their purposes.
the fact that more amateurs will use it than professionals, what does that say about it.

Nothing at all.
Do you think that pros only use heavy-lifting hollywood drones?
Pros have been using P4 pros and Mavic 2s since they were released.

I think your confused with the fact that the cine model
I think you are confused about what a pro actually does with a drone.

2021-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 11-21 04:01
Who said it was a professional drone
DJI
They say:  DJI Mavic 3 is a powerful flagship camera drone equipped with a 4/3 CMOS Hasselblad camera to facilitate professional-level imaging.

to facilitate professional-level imaging.

I think that says about all. It facilitates Pros. ( make an action or process easy or easier.)

And just to facilitate the pros and those who cannot find it.

2021-11-21
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MM M3 Cine Posted at 11-20 20:53
I will confirm this post. My Cine’s obstacle avoidance is having problems. Navigating tight spaces, being somewhat close objects and hand catching are nearly impossible. Sport mode no problem. In fact, the one time I was able to hand catch it, all four motors automatically kicked into full throttle. Fully pressing and holding down on the left joystick did nothing. Luckily my wife was close by and so I handed her the controller and she engaged the emergency motor kill function. I literally had to hold the thing with both hands to keep it from taking off (kinda scary). I’ve caught my other drones by hand hundreds of times and have never had this type of thing happen before. Something is up with obstacle avoidance on some M3’s unfortunately.

Hand catching with this drone is exactly the same with this drone as it is with all other DJI Re are already many YT videos demonstrating it. Either you have a technical problem with yours or you are not following the standard procedure for doing it.
2021-11-21
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 11-20 18:57
Yeah, I saw this. But nothing happens when I click on it.
Maybe this comes with the major January update?

What do you mean nothing happens when you click it?  Do you mean nothing on your screen changes or the behavior of your drone doesn't change in spite  visual changes on your screen?  

As hallmark shows in his screenshot, the option is definitely there and it definitely changes the status on the screen.  Its raining here right now, so I can't really give it a thorough test right now.  But from memory, I thought it did change its behavior in flight.  
2021-11-21
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-21 06:25
What do you mean nothing happens when you click it?  Do you mean nothing on your screen changes or the behavior of your drone doesn't change in spite  visual changes on your screen?  

As hallmark shows in his screenshot, the option is definitely there and it definitely changes the status on the screen.  Its raining here right now, so I can't really give it a thorough test right now.  But from memory, I thought it did change its behavior in flight.

What I meant was that I was expecting to access vision sensors settings once I click on it.
Like in Go4. But it is just a status field.
I know the setting Hallmark pointed out. But still this stupid landing protection is always active.

Handcatching is not like with the M2. You can't grab the M3 from below.
You have to sneak in with your hand from behind, close to the props.
Then you need to catch her by surprise and she starts screaming trying to escape.
And not even Sports mode turns off landing protection.

2021-11-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Eric13 Posted at 11-21 08:23
What I meant was that I was expecting to access vision sensors settings once I click on it.
I know the setting Hallmark pointed out. But still this stupid landing protection is always active.

Well yes if your on a moving boat you need to be quick, But any where else set your hand out flat pull the stick back it will land in your hand or just pick it out of the air. Its not difficult once you get used to doing it. But fly app never had the option maybe it will be added in new FW. But only place I found it tricky was on a moving  boat at sea, but lake or river its easy. It can also be a problem with very low flying.

There is a good case for adding it to fly app, but most people using fly app from what I see just hand catch or Hand land all the time.
2021-11-21
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you toggle it to sport mode the sensors will shut off.
2021-11-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2021-11-21
Use props
MM M3 Cine
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 11-21 12:09
https://youtu.be/yHIb7aSh-C4

Glad to see your M3 is able hand land & fly tight spaces as I’ve done hundreds of times with previous drones (My M3 Cine will not do this unless in sport mode).  Can I ask what obstacle avoidance action that was?  Bypass, Brake or Off?  Also, what flight mode are you in?  Cine, Normal or Sport?
2021-11-21
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 11-21 08:23
What I meant was that I was expecting to access vision sensors settings once I click on it.

No, that is not how you should be hand catching any DJI drone. Hand underneath the drone, left stick down until it settles in your hand and stops the props.  Trying to snatch any DJI drone out of the air is likely to full throttle the motors as it tries to maintain its position.  

The only reason I can think of to do it the way you are talking is if you are on a boat that is moving.  Otherwise, it is a far higher safety risk doing it that way.
2021-11-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MM M3 Cine Posted at 11-21 14:54
Glad to see your M3 is able hand land & fly tight spaces as I’ve done hundreds of times with previous drones (My M3 Cine will not do this unless in sport mode).  Can I ask what obstacle avoidance action that was?  Bypass, Brake or Off?  Also, what flight mode are you in?  Cine, Normal or Sport?

Brake, normal
2021-11-21
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MM M3 Cine Posted at 11-21 14:54

You can’t hand land with Bypass turned on. It will try to move away from you fairly aggressively as you approach it. Brake or Off it will hand land extremely easily as GaryDoug demonstrated. This is the same exact method used on every DJI drone.
2021-11-21
Use props
MM M3 Cine
lvl.2
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-21 19:06
You can’t hand land with Bypass turned on. It will try to move away from you fairly aggressively as you approach it. Brake of off it will hand land extremely easily as GaryDoug demonstrated. This is the same exact method used on every DJI drone.

Cool, I will specifically try this tomorrow.
2021-11-21
Use props
djiuser_MxRrcNpa7hh5
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue with trying to hand catch it. Would be nice if there is an option like they had one the Mavic 2 Pro to turn off the landing protection procedure.
2021-11-22
Use props
Apatron
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

yes but you either fly in sport mode or in settings change it from Stop, bypeass and choose the "off" setting.
2021-11-22
Use props
I Fly Drones
lvl.1

United States

Apatron Posted at 11-22 21:53
yes but you either fly in sport mode or in settings change it from Stop, bypeass and choose the "off" setting.

I think that only turns the sensors off. I am pretty sure the landing protection is still on even in sport mode and when bypass is set to OFF
2021-11-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I Fly Drones Posted at 11-23 13:44
I think that only turns the sensors off. I am pretty sure the landing protection is still on even in sport mode and when bypass is set to OFF

Yes you’re right, but hand landing is a pretty easy exercise with landing protection on.
2021-11-23
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_MxRrcNpa7hh5 Posted at 11-22 12:02
I have the same issue with trying to hand catch it. Would be nice if there is an option like they had one the Mavic 2 Pro to turn off the landing protection procedure.

Turning landing protection off to be able to hand catch just is not required at all on any DJI drone. Just look at the video GaryDoug provided!  It is crazy easy to land it with absolutely no problems at all. And in fact do it the way he demonstrates is FAR safer than it would be if you turned them off.  
2021-11-23
Use props
Magic_Sites
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4287536 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-23 16:37
Turning landing protection off to be able to hand catch just is not required at all on any DJI drone. Just look at the video GaryDoug provided!  It is crazy easy to land it with absolutely no problems at all. And in fact do it the way he demonstrates is FAR safer than it would be if you turned them off.

But some of us do frequently catch while on boats and having the ability to turn off landing protection is a feature we appreciate in Go4. The Fly app is just generally more amateur oriented and it's clearer with every flight that the M3 is not a 100% upgrade from the M2P, there are some drawbacks.
2021-11-30
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the OA makes manual landing tricky as I can't stand in front nor behind it while trying to land. I ended up having to stand a distance away.  
2021-11-30
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Magic_Sites Posted at 11-30 13:25
But some of us do frequently catch while on boats and having the ability to turn off landing protection is a feature we appreciate in Go4. The Fly app is just generally more amateur oriented and it's clearer with every flight that the M3 is not a 100% upgrade from the M2P, there are some drawbacks.

Yes, I agree for that particular use case, turning off landing protection is likely necessary.  However, in every other case, hand landing does not necessitate turning off landing protection like so many people believe.

Also, I will disagree that Fly is more "amateur oriented", it just isn't complete yet just like the Mavic 3 isn't complete.  I'm not defending that fact because it is crap that DJI is selling at full price an incomplete product.  However, incomplete doesn't mean it is more amateur oriented.
2021-11-30
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

So turn the OA off if you aren't able to catch it appropriately. As demonstrated in the video GaryDoug posted, it is extremely easy to hand catch it with full sensors on and doesn't require an option to turn off the landing protection in order to do so.  
I do agree that there are some use cases where it would be nice to have the option to turn off landing protection separately (i.e. landing on a moving boat, trying to skim a few inches above the ground, etc), but for 99.9% of use cases, there is no reason to turn landing protection off.  But it would still be nice to have that option to do so like was in the Mavic 2.
2021-11-30
Use props
Magic_Sites
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4287536 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 11-30 13:48
Yes, I agree for that particular use case, turning off landing protection is likely necessary.  However, in every other case, hand landing does not necessitate turning off landing protection like so many people believe.

Also, I will disagree that Fly is more "amateur oriented", it just isn't complete yet just like the Mavic 3 isn't complete.  I'm not defending that fact because it is crap that DJI is selling at full price an incomplete product.  However, incomplete doesn't mean it is more amateur oriented.

We can agree to disagree on who the Fly app was designed for, but as it stands it just doesn't have all the tools that Go4 has and I think many will objectively agree with that.
2021-11-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Magic_Sites Posted at 11-30 14:00
We can agree to disagree on who the Fly app was designed for, but as it stands it just doesn't have all the tools that Go4 has and I think many will objectively agree with that.

For years on this forum people denigrated go4 app and same in the App Store , it was the butt of so many topics it was said it was responsible for so many problems, it had so many glitches , it menus were impossible to navigate. Now because people are forced to change its great don’t know how wed manage without it, not worth flying without it. But what you people call a beginner app used by only beginners I see very little complaints among mini or air flyers about the fly app, the “Beginners” have no problem working it , “Beginners “ are not whining about it, “Beginners” are not blaming it for every problem wit their drones. It seems the “Professionals “ are the ones having real problems with working the fly app and one of the biggest complaints is “I have fat fingers” cmon have a real look at the app yes a couple of things missing, but also a couple of very cool ideas with it its much cleaner and faster system than the old heavily weighed and over blown  app “Sentiments of go4 users” I see a lot of people complaining about fly app but it’s difficult to know exactly what they’re specifically complaining about, apart from fat fingers…
2021-11-30
Use props
Drone Techie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356027 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does the new Air 3 turn on the vision sensors when return home if you turn them off when flying over water?
2023-8-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules