Weak GPS signal when the data link is weak?
1181 2 2021-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quaxo76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 479386 ft

Italy

Hello,
Today I flew the drone in a place where the remote control connection was a bit marginal. It was perfect for 99% of the time, but then due to obstruction/interference I lost connection a couple of times, for a few seconds.
When looking at the logs, I saw that when I had the 'signal loss' or 'signal weak' messages, a few times I also got a 'GPS signal weak, fly with caution' message (error 30002). Maybe I got it 3-4 times in total.
But in Airdata, in the GPS page, it shows a solid green line, with a minimum of 20 satellites connected.
These 'weak GPS' messages only appeared when the remote control signal was weak or disconnected. And when the error was reported, there were 25 or 26 satellites connected.
I wasn't turning sharply at the time, and there was no wind.

So I'm wondering: does the loss of signal from the remote, somehow cause the drone to loose, or ignore, the GPS signal? Or are these spurious error messages?
If the former, that's a bit scary, since when there's a loss of signal from the remote, I expect the drone to initiate a RTH, which will depend on a good GPS signal.

2021-11-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From what i remember, they are nothing to worry about, as long as there are enough sats locked then carry on, i think its prob more of a glitch than out else and may not even be related to the Mini 2, it could be a bleed over in the coding from an AC  that has Follow me mode, that makes sense because that needs the GPS on your device/controller and if the signal from the AC to the device is poor, then the AC would have trouble with the devices GPS too, that is just me guessing but it does make sense...
2021-11-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So I'm wondering: does the loss of signal from the remote, somehow cause the drone to loose, or ignore, the GPS signal? Or are these spurious error messages?
They are spurious messages and checking the GPS health in the detailed flight data should confirm that.
The GPS signal and processing is completely separate from the control signal and totally independent.
2021-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules