Original Pictures, whats the difference?
4588 13 2021-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131942 ft
United States

I've noticed that whenever you transfer pictures from the Mini 2 (likely all drones that use DJI Fly) you get two sets of pictures. These aren't the pictures that are low resolution from the cache. What I'm talkin about are two sets of Full Resolution original picture files. One set is located at DJI/dji.v5/Cache/ltm_cache. The other set is located at DJI/dji.v5/DJY FLY/Video/OriginalFiles/Photo. Both sets in each location have the same file names and end with photo_original.jpg at the end. Both are full resolution. The only thing I noticed is that the ones in "Itm_cache" are slightly larger in size (storage size) vs. the set in "Photo". What I'm wondering is, what is the difference between these? Trying to compare them back and forth one set seems to be a little bit more contrasty and maybe a little sharper but I'm not quite sure (Itm_cache) vs. A little bit flatter image and smaller file size (Photo). Does everybody know what the difference is between these two sets? I'm thinking one set is pulled directly from the SD card, and then there is a screen that says something about optimizing as the pictures are downloaded. I would assume then that the other set must be the optimized set. Not sure what this optimizing is actually doing and I can't tell which set are the ones that are actually optimized. I would think the ones in "photo" are the optimized set however they don't look as good (to my eyes) as the ones in "Itm_cache". Any knowledge from you guys would be much appreciated and I'm sure others would learn from it as well.

Thanks for any input!
2021-12-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you want to be certain you are getting the best copies of the photos, pop the SD card out of the aircraft, place it in a reader and copy the files to your computer.
2021-12-4
Use props
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-4 14:08
If you want to be certain you are getting the best copies of the photos, pop the SD card out of the aircraft, place it in a reader and copy the files to your computer.

Thank you. That's certainly a possibility. But I would imagine they would be the exact same ones that are located in at least one of those two locations. It's just a lot more convenient for me to pull them directly via quick transfer.
2021-12-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DAYTONA392 Posted at 12-4 14:10
Thank you. That's certainly a possibility. But I would imagine they would be the exact same ones that are located in at least one of those two locations. It's just a lot more convenient for me to pull them directly via quick transfer.

Yes, providing you transfer them using a USB connection to the aircraft. If you transfer over the radio link, there is a possibility that you could get corrupted files.
2021-12-4
Use props
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 12-4 14:14
Yes, providing you transfer them using a USB connection to the aircraft. If you transfer over the radio link, there is a possibility that you could get corrupted files.
Yep it could happen. I've actually had files be corrupt over USB transfer as well in the past using other Hardware devices. The files are completely intact and not corrupt at all. They are fully viewable. But there is a difference between the sets. I have a feeling that most people perhaps did not realize that an entire other set of full-resolution files are being saved to their phone. Probably the reason why memory gets used up so fast with this DJI fly app. Which is another reason I go through every one of those folders and clean them out each time.
2021-12-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The cache files should be just smaller file size, low res versions of the files that the app stores to save time in the future, the low res can be useful, one way is you can use them as proxies in Adobe Premier, which saves a lot of encoding time as the proxies are already created, you just need to move them over to the pc/laptop, these files can also be found on the SD card, I'm not sure where in the fly app but in DJO Go 4, you had to set the SD card to see hidden files too and then you can find the folder where they are hidden, could be the case with the Fly app too. Cleaning out the cache files in the app should clear those folders and save you manually going through them, formatting the SD card will also do the job and more...
2021-12-4
Use props
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 12-4 17:03
The cache files should be just smaller file size, low res versions of the files that the app stores to save time in the future, the low res can be useful, one way is you can use them as proxies in Adobe Premier, which saves a lot of encoding time as the proxies are already created, you just need to move them over to the pc/laptop, these files can also be found on the SD card, I'm not sure where in the fly app but in DJO Go 4, you had to set the SD card to see hidden files too and then you can find the folder where they are hidden, could be the case with the Fly app too. Cleaning out the cache files in the app should clear those folders and save you manually going through them, formatting the SD card will also do the job and more...

The cache files should be just smaller file size, low res versions of the files that the app stores to save time in the future, the low res can be useful

Thank you Bashy you for your reply. Yes these are definitely not the low-res files. These are two complete sets of high-resolution files that reside in two completely different locations within various folders in the DJI fly app folder trees. There are slight differences between them but they are both full resolution. They are created when you connect to the Drone and perform a quick transfer to download the files from the SD card to your phone. Seems that I may have stumbled upon something that perhaps most people don't realize. The reason I found them is I go through all of those subfolders each time I fly my drone and take the pictures off of copy them to a different location. Then I go through every subfolder and get rid of all the text files log files dat files etc. Otherwise every time you fly that DJ iFly folder and its subfolders beneath will become more and more bloated with extraneous files. That's when I discovered two sets of original high-resolution folders with each having their own copies of original high resolution jpgs.
2021-12-4
Use props
DAYTONA392
lvl.4
United States

Just found this from a Mini 2 product description:
"Built-In Photo Optimization
The DJI Fly app can intelligently optimize your images immediately after downloading a photo from the Mini 2, providing you with shots that exhibit more vivid colors and contrast."

Whatever this is, it appears to be what creates the second set of high-resolution files. The ones that look more "vivid colors and contrast" appear to be in the "Itm_cache" folder after quick transfer is complete.
2021-12-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you want all the exif information your best to download from the SD card,   the fly app tends to mangle the names and exif when you export.
2021-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I only use my SD card for file transfers. That is the best way I think .
2021-12-5
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

1. Transfer the files via Quick Transfer to one location.
2. Transfer the files from the SD card to another location.
Do a binary compare from location 1 and 2 of the pictures you are wondering about.
2021-12-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAYTONA392 Posted at 12-4 20:25
Just found this from a Mini 2 product description:
"Built-In Photo Optimization
The DJI Fly app can intelligently optimize your images immediately after downloading a photo from the Mini 2, providing you with shots that exhibit more vivid colors and contrast."

I think you can turn off the optimization somewhere, that then should stop it creating a new set?
2021-12-5
Use props
Michel_vmou
New

Canada

Hello guys, for canvas printing, is it better to print the original raw, bigger size, around 25mb, or the optimised pic, png around 5mbs
Thanks
2022-10-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Michel_vmou Posted at 10-1 19:11
Hello guys, for canvas printing, is it better to print the original raw, bigger size, around 25mb, or the optimised pic, png around 5mbs
Thanks

Ignore the file size.
What's the resolution of the png file?
2022-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules