Initial Format of M3 Cine SSD
1420 2 2021-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EFRPIC
Second Officer

United States

Has anyone needed to do a re-format of the SSD via connection to a PC/Mac?

Whe I first connected the M3 during my initialization, the SSD came up just fine (in my case drive G. I went out an shiot some small segments of test footage in photo and various video modes and then connected the aircraft again. This was after shutdown and frestarting when I was plugged into the PC (with the USB 3.2 to C cable).

The "G:" drive (SSD) came up with a message that it coulkd not be read and needed formatting. Was not able to get any footage off, of course.

I reformatted the drive (eFAT w/defaults) and then shot small clips and photos on my office floor. No problem reading teh drive and openeing/copying the footage.

The only "fault" I can think of, is that I may have not stopped recording when I shut the aircraft off (always been bad on any Mavic as it can corrupt the SD card). Could that have corrupted the SSD in a similar fashion?

I don't believe I was recording after landing but I have no way to be sure.

Anyone else experienced this?

If this is the case, DJI shoudl implement a firmware fix to close out any open files prior to aloowing the power to be rtemoved from the drive. Would be a good idea in any case.

Thx in advance
2021-12-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is very possible that you can have a problem if you do not stop recording before shutting the aircraft down. But every DJI aircraft for years now will sort the problem out if you start the aircraft up again with the SD card in the aircraft. I see no reason why it should not be the same for the SSD.

The process of not stopping recording before shutting down does not corrupt the SD/SSD though, it simply open a files and then fails to close that file. Why DJI do not look to close any open file when shutting down the aircraft is beyond me, Seeing that the shutdown process is all performed under software control, it would be quite trivial to check if all open files have been closed before shutting off power.  

Of course it is only possible to close all files before shutting off power if the power shut-off is under software control. In cases where the power shuts down quickly, such as battery being ejected, aircraft going into water, or running out of battery power while in the air, then another method has to exist to round up and close any open files after the fact.

2021-12-5
Use props
EFRPIC
Second Officer

United States

But you have not specifically seen this occur on the M3 Cine?
2021-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules