Should gimbal lock when powered off?
2930 7 2021-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eappell
lvl.1

United States

I just got the Creator Combo refurbished, and everything works great, except when I power off the Pocket 2 the gimbal moves the camera down and locks, and then a couple seconds later it unlocks and just swivels.  Is that the expected behavior?  I can't find any mention of it in any documentation, but it seems like it should stay locked...  
2021-12-6
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Normal. It keeps it steady some seconds that it is easier to put it in the case.
2021-12-6
Use props
eappell
lvl.1

United States

Aavalaakso Posted at 12-6 09:11
Normal. It keeps it steady some seconds that it is easier to put it in the case.

Ok, good to know, thanks!
2021-12-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is normal behavior.  However, it would be nice if it locked in place until turned on again.
2021-12-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there eappell. Good day and thank you for reaching out. As posted above the said behavior of your DJI Pocket 2 is normal. Have a safe and a happy filming always.
2021-12-6
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It requires power to lock the motors.  So if it locked continuously, the battery would go flat...
2021-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Except for when you have something attached to the lens. In that case, it will not rotate the camera inwards.
Still locking though for a couple of seconds.
2021-12-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

As said before, the gimbal lock happening right after powering off is normal and is intended to protect the camera and make it easier to insert it into the protective case. As for why it unlocks after a while, my guess it is for a) not draining the battery and b) maybe it is that when it is unlocked, it (possibly?) lets it move in case it is dropped to minimize the danger of damage. I would imagine that if it was locked when dropped, it could get more damaged if the strike forces something to move when locked, against the parts moving freely and the movement possibly absorbing some of the impact power. But that's just my guess.
2021-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules