New Apple Mini 4
3568 38 2021-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Is anyone using the new Apple iPad Mini4, with the Dji Mini2, and if so - what do you think of it?
     *** Edited 04/29/2022***
I wound up getting the Smart Controller, thank you to all who responded!
     *** Edited 07/28/2022***
This post was made in error, disregard!!!***
2021-12-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bob-Mini-2. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who uses the new Apple iPad Mini 4 can give out the best recommendation with regards to this inquiry. Just a reminder to please a recommended mobile device when flying your DJI Mini 2 for compatibility and reliability purposes. Thank you.

2021-12-8
Use props
djiuser_Eda4qsznykEI
New

United States

I'm having problems using the Apple Mini 4Gen with FLY. Causes the CPU to run at 100% and I get complains from the software about it.Is anyone else having this problem with Fly Mavic Air 2 and Apple Mini IPAD 4th Gen??

2021-12-8
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_Eda4qsznykEI, I have the same problem with my older Apple iPad mini4, and even tried some settings someone here recommemded, but they did not help.
I am looking at the NEW Apple iPad mini4, because in the features it has a 5-core processor and is much faster than the old one, it also can do 5G phone.
2021-12-9
Use props
djiuser_ZPtbzg8xPUcB
New

United States

My Ipad mini studders real bad and will reboot while flying. That was real scary. The control tells me my CPU is full. have no idea what that means. I have no problem with my Ihone 10 other than the screen to small.
2021-12-10
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_ZPtbzg8xPUcB, Yes, same as me and some others, I am trying to figure out if I should get the Dji Smart Controller or the new iPad Mini 4 with the 5-core CPU and Retina Screen, the difference in price is close to two hundred dollars.  The smart controller will work with the Dji Mini-2, but do not
know about the iPad mini4?
2021-12-12
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41191 ft

Germany

i fly and work with the New iPad Mini6 iPad Mini 4 is NOT new.
2021-12-12
Use props
djiuser_U8QUbdccbKhr
New

United States

djiuser_Eda4qsznykEI Posted at 12-8 20:49
I'm having problems using the Apple Mini 4Gen with FLY. Causes the CPU to run at 100% and I get complains from the software about it.Is anyone else having this problem with Fly Mavic Air 2 and Apple Mini IPAD 4th Gen??

Try putting on airplane mode.
2021-12-12
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Pinarek, I am refering to the iPad Mini4 with the 5 core cpu, as I stated earlier.  To me, that is new.
2021-12-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 12-13 16:02
Pinarek, I am refering to the iPad Mini4 with the 5 core cpu, as I stated earlier.  To me, that is new.

Says it was discontinued in 2019, CPU is only 2 core, GPU 4 core and only 2gb ram, that is why it struggles
2021-12-13
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Bashy, "Says it was discontinued in 2019, CPU is only 2 core, GPU 4 core and only 2gb ram, that is why it struggles"  I take it that you are
speaking of the OLD Mini-4 tablet?  I did not know that, but since the Mini 6 was mentioned by Pinarek I have been looking into it.
     I need to do some more reading, but thank you both for mentioning the NEW stuff.
2021-12-14
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

No problem "Mister Captain" @ Bob-Mini-2

I've already used a lot of Apple iPads, so I was puzzled ... what? a NEW iPad mini4 ???

The newest is the iPad Mini 6, which I bought almost ONLY for flying the Mini 2 and with a cellular option.

I also bought sun protection for only 10 euros from Amazon, "hood" sounds like laughable!

Here is the link to the hood:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2021-12-15
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Pinarek Posted at 12-15 18:21
No problem "Mister Captain" @ Bob-Mini-2

I've already used a lot of Apple iPads, so I was puzzled ... what? a NEW iPad mini4 ???

Pinaek, thank you for the added information, it does help.  So the Mini-6 Tab does work with the Dji Mini-2 Drone.
2021-12-21
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pinarek Posted at 12-12 17:03

Same here iPad Mini6 works fine with the DJI Mini 2
2021-12-21
Use props
djiuser_Eda4qsznykEI
New

United States

Gentleman, Thanks for all the comments on this issue. Just odd that the mini Ipad has such a hard time with FLY. I run some pretty complex EFB programs on my Mini 4 and it has no problem handling them. Oh well guess I'm stuck on my Pixal 3A for now.
2021-12-22
Use props
MiniManiac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

The Ipad Mini 4 does run the app ok, but if you try to screen record then it bugs out with CPU overloaded error, that said the one I use has no other apps installed other than the Fly app
2021-12-23
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I had mixed experience with the iPad Mini 4.  My brother in law gave me a surplus one from his work to use.  It would sometimes freeze or run slow.  This began with IOS 10 and got so bad with IOS 11 that I stopped using it.  I had saved the SSH blob so I could downgrade the OS out of habit.  Even after I downgraded to an older IOS version the new DJI Fly App downloaded from the App Store which is designed to be compatible with newest versions IOS produced problems.  

I think the reality is the iPad Mini 4 does not have the power to support the new DJI Fly App.  Plus the screen is terrible in sunlight and difficult to see due to the glare.  I went back to my phone which has worked consistently better.
2021-12-23
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

Thanks to you ALL for the comments, adds to the knowledge base (mine), and it helps steer me into a better decision on what to do.  Once I have will
surely post the way I went.  Thanks again, and Happy Holidays.
2021-12-23
Use props
itravel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 647388 ft
United States

Greetings.  Were you able use the Apple iPad Mini 4 and the DJI Fly app without issues?  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated !!  Thanks.
2022-4-27
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

When I was researching what model iPad Mini to purchase I observed numerous comments about the v4 being underpowered or cpu maxxing out.  I got an Apple refurbished v5 on discount and have had no issues with it.  I think the 4 isn't powerful enough and you will have problems.
2022-4-27
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

What I did about the iPAD Mini-4, saved up some money and got "Smart Controller," which has sure made a difference in
ease of going out to fly.  Having some problems figuring out how to adjust/turn on or off this and that.  I sure wish that DJI
had a newer Manual for the SC, showing adjustments involving the Mini-2.  But, they already have the SC Pro out, and probably
devote most, if not all, their time to it.  I gave the iPAD Mini4 to my daughter, she did not mind
***Edited 07/28/2022***
     STILL no new manual or even explanations of some of the updates that have c ome out for the Smart Controller!
2022-4-27
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

I am using iPad mini version6. Works perfectly.
2022-4-27
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Pinarek Posted at 2021-12-12 17:03

I’m still using my old mini 2, works perfectly
I’ve been looking for a brighter, bigger tab - does the mini 6 show up well in the sun?
2022-4-27
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

Glad you're asking about bright sun visibility on the iPad mini6.
It also only has about 300 Nits (or something similar to describe the brightness).

@CapitAn I did some reading and found that no normal tablets have more brightness, except for
a professional Android tablet (I forgot the name) for over 1,500 euros, which I believe should have 400 Nids.

But I bought this thing for that:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... 2_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is inexpensive and serves its purpose well.
Found this:

brightness
Edit photos Apple iPad Pro
The brighter the screen, the better the display in a bright environment. Brightness is measured in candelas per square meter or nits.
The higher the number of nits, the higher the maximum brightness.
An average tablet has a screen of around 450 cd/m².
Does the screen have a lower nit count than 450? Then the screen may become unreadable when you watch a movie
in the garden on a sunny day. You don't have that with more expensive tablets with, for example, 600 nits.

2022-4-29
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Pinarek Posted at 4-29 06:30
Glad you're asking about bright sun visibility on the iPad mini6.
It also only has about 300 Nits (or something similar to describe the brightness).

@Pinarek Thank you so much, more to research. I saw the professional military grade super bright tablet but can’t justify the expense to fly a drone on occasion. I’ll keep using the iPad mini 2 until something comes out with 500+ nits at the consumer level.
Thanks for your answer
2022-4-29
Use props
Pinarek
lvl.4

Germany

Thanks @CapitAn for your feedback

Ok, so you also know which expensive tablet with extreme brightness I mean.
Yes ok, think too, if your iPad Mini2 is not too slow with the processing of the DJI Fly software, then keep using it.

I still have a 9.7-inch iPad 5th generation, which is not too bright and much too big to walk around with it outside.

Have you seen my "sun hood" link to Amazon?
Is a cool and cheap thing, but serves its purpose well.
2022-4-29
Use props
HighlandFoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 655171 ft
United States

I used an iPad Mini 4 with DJI Go 4 for the Phantom 4 for several years. After buying a mounting adapter for the RC-NI so I could use it with my Mini 2 and Mavic 3, I saw the dreaded "Mobile Device CPU Fully Loaded" message during testing with the DJI Fly app.

Disabling Siri on the iPad seemed to free enough resources, at least so far. More flight testing will tell.
2022-7-24
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

HighlandFoto Posted at 7-24 08:50
I used an iPad Mini 4 with DJI Go 4 for the Phantom 4 for several years. After buying a mounting adapter for the RC-NI so I could use it with my Mini 2 and Mavic 3, I saw the dreaded "Mobile Device CPU Fully Loaded" message during testing with the DJI Fly app.

Disabling Siri on the iPad seemed to free enough resources, at least so far. More flight testing will tell.

I wish you lick.  I gave in and got a DJI Smart Controller, except for the price, I am very happy with it and that it is all in one package.  I understand that the Smart Controller Pro is even better.  I gave the iPAD Mini4 to our Daughter, she really likes it, and that investment is still bringing in rewards, glad to say.
2022-7-26
Use props
HighlandFoto
lvl.3
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 7-26 10:15
I wish you lick.  I gave in and got a DJI Smart Controller, except for the price, I am very happy with it and that it is all in one package.  I understand that the Smart Controller Pro is even better.  I gave the iPAD Mini4 to our Daughter, she really likes it, and that investment is still bringing in rewards, glad to say.

Thanks Bob!

Update on the Mini 4 using the DJI Fly app... during a test flight today all seemed to go well until I tried a Pano shot. The "Mobile Device CPU Fully Loaded" message showed up again, and I noticed that processing the pano took about twice as long as normal. I let the drone hover in place until the processing finished, and returned to the launch site.

The control response lagged a little, but not so much that I had difficulty reaching the launch/landing site. I restarted the Fly app and flew another hop with no issues, although I didn't try any autonomous flight modes or still/video effects.

After landing, I noticed that the Mini 4 was still very warm, so it looks like it's the little iPad that can't.

Thanks for the feedback on the DJI Smart Controller.   
2022-7-27
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

HighlandFoto Posted at 7-27 09:56
Thanks Bob!

Update on the Mini 4 using the DJI Fly app... during a test flight today all seemed to go well until I tried a Pano shot. The "Mobile Device CPU Fully Loaded" message showed up again, and I noticed that processing the pano took about twice as long as normal. I let the drone hover in place until the processing finished, and returned to the launch site.

I really like the iPAD Mini4, but did not want that message popping up a lot, and from what a LOT of folks were saying about the Smart Controller, I decided to put some scratch away and get one.  It has issues still, but for regular flight it works fine.  Since I crashed the Mini2 into a 50 foot tall Palm Tree, while trying "Quick Shots," I will not try the tricky stuff till I have plenty of room.  I was very lucky to get the Mini2 back, with only a smudge on it, all works well.  Glad to hear you got your shots done though.
2022-7-28
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

I know the OP's issue is resolved with his purchase of the DJI Smart Controller, but on this topic I figured I'd mention one point that led to my decision to purchase a dedicated flight tablet (in my case the iPad Mini 5) ...  I'm not sure about the Smart Controller, but I have read that the new Mini 3 controller runs a stripped down version of Android that does not allow 3rd party apps to be installed (Maven, Litchi etc).  I've recently been experimenting with Maven and it offers several automated flight features for the Mini 2 that the official DJI Fly app does not provide - so having a controller capable of running 3rd party apps is a definite advantage for me.

That said, having dedicated gear rather than using your daily phone is definitely a big plus :-)
2022-7-28
Use props
bretkissick
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41467 ft
United States

djiuser_Eda4qsznykEI Posted at 2021-12-8 20:49

I bought a Mini 4 to use with my Mini 2 because it was supposed to work but the CPU was maxed out!  I ended up getting a new Mini 5, it's works great.
2022-7-29
Use props
wbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 277037 ft
United States

I have a ipad mini 6 256gb wifi cellular that's works just great I thought about buying a smart controller but paying a 1,000 bucks for something just to fly my drone come on think about it. I can use my ipad to make phone calls surf the net watch tv play games and it only cost 700 bucks from best buy plus the screen is larger. Need shade sit under a tree I also have a sunhood have a great tablet holder easy and quick to use sets just as fast as my phone can use it for any drone I own or buy in future. I live on a limited income so I can't spend alot of bucks on my hobbies. That's just my cents, stay safe and healthy.
2022-7-29
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

wbd@7547 Posted at 7-29 09:39
I have a ipad mini 6 256gb wifi cellular that's works just great I thought about buying a smart controller but paying a 1,000 bucks for something just to fly my drone come on think about it. I can use my ipad to make phone calls surf the net watch tv play games and it only cost 700 bucks from best buy plus the screen is larger. Need shade sit under a tree I also have a sunhood have a great tablet holder easy and quick to use sets just as fast as my phone can use it for any drone I own or buy in future. I live on a limited income so I can't spend alot of bucks on my hobbies. That's just my cents, stay safe and healthy.

You as well.  To each their own.  Thanks for your cents worth, always good to hear the other guy's point of ciew.
2022-7-30
Use props
HighlandFoto
lvl.3
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 7-28 08:06
I really like the iPAD Mini4, but did not want that message popping up a lot, and from what a LOT of folks were saying about the Smart Controller, I decided to put some scratch away and get one.  It has issues still, but for regular flight it works fine.  Since I crashed the Mini2 into a 50 foot tall Palm Tree, while trying "Quick Shots," I will not try the tricky stuff till I have plenty of room.  I was very lucky to get the Mini2 back, with only a smudge on it, all works well.  Glad to hear you got your shots done though.

Glad your Mini 2 mishap was minor.
2022-8-3
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

HighlandFoto Posted at 8-3 16:33
Glad your Mini 2 mishap was minor.

Thank you, was a learning experience
2022-8-6
Use props
HighlandFoto
lvl.3
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 8-6 16:48
Thank you, was a learning experience

I always figure that no event is a total loss if you learn from it.
2022-8-7
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

HighlandFoto Posted at 8-7 13:42
I always figure that no event is a total loss if you learn from it.

100%
2022-8-16
Use props
avinash69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 986644 ft
  • >>>
Trinidad and Tobago

the ipad mini 4 cannot process the fly app as efficient as you would like.. do go 4 yes
. hope this helps. avinash inalsingh
2022-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules