Prop broke mid flight?
3686 17 2021-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MajBach
lvl.1
Flight distance : 266535 ft
Canada

Hi all. Need some advice. Took the mini up to record the fresh snow and a few seconds into the flight, it just did a nose dive. Upon retrieval, a prop was broken at the base (I would be surprised if this was from the impact in 4 inches of fresh snow and a thick grass). The gimbal also came off the rubber mount.
I'm writing because I'd like to know if a prop comi g off is normal but also I don't want to remount the camera just yet because as you can see from the picture, something looks off. Both little rubber mounts are facing the same way. How is it possible one of them got reversed? This is a new drone that has never had any repairs.
Thanks

Merry xmas
20211224_121652.jpg
20211224_121703.jpg
2021-12-24
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Nothing wrong with the mounts, the left one has just pivoted the wrong direction. Dry everything off, reinstall the mounts and try it out.
2021-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

it just did a nose dive. Upon retrieval, a prop was broken at the base (I would be surprised if this was from the impact in 4 inches of fresh snow and a thick grass).

The way the drone came down would confirm whether the prop was broken before it came down or in the crash impact.
The recorded flight data will show this.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It has instructions to find the .txt file from your phone or tablet which you can upload to that site
Upload it and it gives you a summary of the flight data.
Post a link to that summary.

Or just post the .txt file
2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you can photograph the surface of the break in the prop it might show whether the break was a sudden failure or a crack that grew over time until it reached a critical size.
With regards to the gimbal BE CAREFUL during the refitting of the damper rubbers.
There is a ribbon cable that runs to the top of the gimbal, it may be delicate, it seems to get torn in crashes quite easily. It would be a good idea to check whether it is torn before you start trying to replace the dampers. I think the cable is visible in your photo as the dark strip deep within the drone that is running towards the drone's nose.
A prop breaking is unusual, I have 600+ flights on my Mavic Mini and haven't suffered one. BTW this thread is in the Air 2s forum I have cracked or perhaps torn props in twig encounter but none have yet failed. How cold was the drone when the flight started?

As an aside has anyone got an explanation for why the rear damper rubbers sometimes get rotated in disconnections?
I have seen quite a few photos where this has happened and in some cases both rubbers were rotated.

2021-12-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might get more help if you post this in the Mini 2 section.
2021-12-24
Use props
MajBach
lvl.1
Canada

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I only had my phone with me and must have not seen the category.
Thanks for all the help. I got everything back together and all is working fine. Tossed the fragment of old prop away so couldn't examine it. It was kinda funny watching the video as it just suddenly did a nose dive. Good thing it was fresh snow.
Merry Xmas.
2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You did change both blades on that motor didn't you?
2021-12-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MajBach Posted at 12-24 17:00
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I only had my phone with me and must have not seen the category.
Thanks for all the help. I got everything back together and all is working fine. Tossed the fragment of old prop away so couldn't examine it. It was kinda funny watching the video as it just suddenly did a nose dive. Good thing it was fresh snow.
Merry Xmas.

it just suddenly did a nose dive
That does not sound like the kind of descent the drone would make if a broken prop was the cause.
It could well be that the prop was not the issue at all.

Post your flight data and we might get some insight into what actually happened.
2021-12-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 12-24 22:11
That does not sound like the kind of descent the drone would make if a broken prop was the cause.

Yep. One good prop will keep the nose up a bit for a few seconds at least. Maybe another reason.
2021-12-24
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Maybe a bird strike or tree branch, caused the initial fall.
2021-12-25
Use props
MajBach
lvl.1
Canada

Labroides Posted at 12-24 22:11

Thank you for asking me that. Although, I knew there was a flight log, I had no idea how much info was contained in it and how I could literally re-live the entire flight.
I also learned I did not have the auto back-up enabled - which I now have.
However, I cannot seem to figure out how to download/share the log file. i have confirmed the info is stored on my phone since now with the controller detached, the log files still show. within the DJI app, I can't find any option to save/share/export the file. I've used a file explorer on my Android phone and can't locate the log files either. Still working on it.

**UPDATE**
Looking into it more, the files ARE NOT on my phone; phone needs to be connected to the remote controller so right now, I can't figure how to download/share them.

2021-12-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What version of the app is on the phone?
How did you look for the logs on the phone, i.e. with an in phone browser or a via computer connected to the phone via USB?
If the latter, what operating system is on the computer?
What is the sequence of folders to where you were looking?
Can you still replay the flight in the App with out the phone nbeing connected to the controller? If so then the logs ARE on the phone
2021-12-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MajBach Posted at 12-25 11:07
Thank you for asking me that. Although, I knew there was a flight log, I had no idea how much info was contained in it and how I could literally re-live the entire flight.
I also learned I did not have the auto back-up enabled - which I now have.
However, I cannot seem to figure out how to download/share the log file. i have confirmed the info is stored on my phone since now with the controller detached, the log files still show. within the DJI app, I can't find any option to save/share/export the file. I've used a file explorer on my Android phone and can't locate the log files either. Still working on it.

The file is on your phone and there's no need to connect the controller to get it.
To post your flight data....
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It has instructions to find the .txt file from your phone or tablet which you can upload to that site
Upload it and it gives you a summary of the flight data.
Post a link to that summary.

Or just post the .txt file
2021-12-25
Use props
MajBach
lvl.1
Canada

Sorry for the slow reply.
Thanks for the link, Lab...would not have found the flight log without it.
So, I cannot seem to post the .txt file here and when I open it, it's all ASCII or whatever so I don't see the point to cut and paste either.
The LogViewer site does allow for storing the log it would seem and here it is:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9GYM69674SSB4ZRYQOFQ
Couple of questions on understanding the log:
- why are the cell voltages often in red or yellow?
- what is IMU altitude vs VMS altitude?

So, when I read the flight log and compare it to what I recall and the position on the map, the trouble began at 1m 31.2 s and by 1m 22.9, the drone was in 6 inches of snow. Why it continues to show a speed there I am assuming is from weak signal interpolation?
Anyway, I don't look at that and see anything before the crash that was unusual. Perhaps I will try loading the video it to Google Cloud.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13QqsF9etvPOhymjCY4-yp4cw63WDTBrl?usp=sharing
2021-12-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

More skilled members here will get back to you with their analysis.
In the meantime for answers, If you want to post a txt file, put it into a zip file. DJI wont let you post it otherwise. But no need now that you have the PH link.
VPS is the visual down-sensor and is only good up to a certain altitude, typically 30 feet to 80 feet depending on the model.
I don't know about the yellow cell voltages. I would not be concerned too much about that.
2021-12-29
Use props
Eoin 2021
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101870 ft
Ireland

MajBach Posted at 12-29 19:49
Sorry for the slow reply.
Thanks for the link, Lab...would not have found the flight log without it.
So, I cannot seem to post the .txt file here and when I open it, it's all ASCII or whatever so I don't see the point to cut and paste either.

I'm relatively new to the flight logs too and as GaryDoug suggested more skilled members will get back to confirm and clarify your questions.

But your flight logs are an indispensable method of displaying your battery's state of health good or bad.
Yellow logs indicate where there is a deviation from the normal cell voltage slightly and below where it should be.
Red logs indicate a relatively dangerously below low acceptable voltage of normal.
Also any and all onscreen errors will be displayed as "Messages" in the flight logs.

These flight logs can indicate and or predict battery failure to avoid premature failure and or in your case crashes.  As i said i'm new to this and learning but from my understanding battery cell deviation between cells is unwanted and can be caused by old batteries i.e. lots of charges and or usage or age nearing battery's designed life.
Flight logs represent is a second by second description of battery cell voltage loss through usage during flight and their real-time state.

and your IMU stands for "Inertial Measurement Unit" or the combined reading between your internal Gyroscope and accelerometers. An example of seeing this is to power up both drone and controller. Open the Fly app and get ready for flight. Then when everything is ready pick up the drone and you'll get a red warning on screen saying "IMU Error". Basically your drone is acting in a way the internal computer can't compute and isn't understanding as it's moving without relevant controls being inputted.
And apologies I can't recall as I type what the VMS stands for.
2021-12-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

• Ignore this I forgot about the video

2021-12-30
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Hi sorry for you loss.

Had a look at your log.

Flight was doomed from the start

First warning 0.0 secs - Motor unable to rotate. Check motor (Code: 30142).; FNo GPS signal. Aircraft unable to hover. Fly with caution (Code: 30008).; AGPS signal weak. Hovering unstable. Fly with caution (Code: 30002).

Home point wasn't recorded until 22.8 secs

Warning at 67secs Motor stuck - MGPS signal weak. Positioning accuracy affected. Fly with caution (Code: 30049).; AGPS signal weak. Hovering unstable. Fly with caution (Code: 30002).; Motor stuck. Check for objects blocking motor or contact DJI Support for assistance (Code: 30165).; GPS Position Mismatch.

So looks like faulty motor cause of loss.

Sorry again.

2021-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules