Mini 2
650 14 2021-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

I am selling my Phantom 3 Advanced and am thinking of down sizing and the Mini 2 looks a good little drone but what do you owners think?
Obviously on here one only hears when people have problems so is it worth the money or is it full of problems waiting to manifest themselves?
Is the image quality crap as I have read?
One review on Amazon - "However, one thing that has compelled me to give any buyers the heads up is the mandatory "DJI Care Refresh" package that I had to purchase for £45 before I could activate/fly the drone." So do you have to pay extra, on top of the £500+ to activate the drone?
Anything else I should be aware of?????
2021-12-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a mini 2 that though '2nd hand' wasn't activated, it was a care refresh or something, replacement, I was offered the chance to by care refresh but declined, activation was NO PROBLEM and easy.
I think both the Mavic Mini and the Mini 2 are stunning cameras, but I can not use their full potential as my video equipment is not up to it. I have the same problem with my P3 Adv and Pro.
Check up on the Mini 2's ability to fight the wind.
The one thing I will say is, you may hate the FLY app, it's like something for a kiddies toy.
You will also lose things like the home lock advanced flight mode. Read the Mini 2 manual to see what advanced flight modes are available.
Read up on the RTH behaviours, they differ.
Read up on the CSC response, be VERY wary of using the anytime setting, it triggers the shut down after about 1.7sec. Conversely the default "Emergency only" or maybe "Breakdown" WILL NOT permit the CSC to stop the motors whilst the drone is in flight unless the drone thinks it has suffered an emergency. I think both options are daft, "Anytime" has too short a delay and the default is useless in terms of preventing a disaster.
Check your phone is compatible with the FLY app, down load the APK from the DJI website (it is no longer in the Google Playstore) and try to install it and run it BEFORE you leap.
2021-12-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The reviewer was wrong. No need to buy the Care Refresh insurance to activate, or else it would have been included in the price.

The main advantage of the Mini 2 is the size and that it can be easily carried almost anywhere. It is a serious upgrade over the original Mini.

Take the DJI list of compatible mobile devices seriously. The most often complaint is from users who insist on ignoring it. Some devices will work, but you are on your own in determining that and it does not necessarily mean that newer is better.

And of course, RTFM before you buy;-)
2021-12-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there cheddar-man. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us. For additional reference about the DJI Mini 2 kindly please refer to this DJI Link ( https://www.dji.com/mini-2?site=brandsite&from=nav ) for you to be able to see the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI Mini 2. Thank you.
2021-12-28
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Many thanks you two flyers, most helpful information. Must admit I couldn't see what DJI would insist on you buying the Care Refresh. I notice on Amazon one can select it at purchase if you want it!
I'll certainly download the manual AND check my phone compatibility!!
2021-12-29
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Is there any other App one can fly with?
Maybe I'll also look a one of the Mavic's.
Downloaded the App on my iPhone 12 Mini and it seems to run but obviously won't know for sure until I attach a drone to it.

So, any Mavic owners out there c ould persuade me to buy one instead of the Mini???
2021-12-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

cheddar-man Posted at 12-29 04:46
Is there any other App one can fly with?
Maybe I'll also look a one of the Mavic's.
Downloaded the App on my iPhone 12 Mini and it seems to run but obviously won't know for sure until I attach a drone to it.

Don't forget to consider the upcoming drone restrictions in the UK.  Personally, I'd wait for the rumored Mini 3 around March/April 2022.  
2021-12-29
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

More restrictions?? Haven't heard of them and can't find anything on the Government site.

Very much doubt I'll be able to afford the new one, It'll have to be a second hand whatever I get
2021-12-30
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Buy a Mini 2! You know it makes sense! Thre are lots on bay etc.just now. Just beware of scams and such.
2021-12-30
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

SCAMS???? What sort of scams????
Do you know whether the Nvidia Shield is compatible with the "Fly" App by any chance?
2021-12-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Too good to be true BIN's e.g brand new FPV &  combo for £500ish etc. from a new seller with very  little or no feedback score.
That said, ebay's buyer protection is good, I have had to use it on a once or twice. Just check it is applicable to the item.
2021-12-30
Use props
sandycornelius01.gmail
New

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-29 16:38
Don't forget to consider the upcoming drone restrictions in the UK.  Personally, I'd wait for the rumored Mini 3 around March/April 2022.

One thing to consider is that the SDK is coming out for the Mini 2 any day now which means third party apps will be available for it. Think Litchi autopilot, etc. This will make the Mini 2 much more capable. A SDK for the Mini 3 will be not be available until at least a year after release. Food for thought.
2021-12-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

cheddar-man Posted at 12-30 04:46
Do you know whether the Nvidia Shield is compatible with the "Fly" App by any chance?

There does not seem to be any secret formula for knowing what mobile device will work. The list just shows you what DJI has tested favorably. If you go outside the list, it's a bit of a crap-shoot. I had one tablet that worked fine for the Mini, but not for any other upscale drones using the same Fly app.
2021-12-30
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

cheddar-man Posted at 12-30 04:46

Scams are everywhere. Items on sites such as ebay are not always what they seem so just do due dilgence checks before parting with monies.

Not got a clue about Nvidia Shield compatibility with Fly App.
2021-12-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

sandycornelius01.gmail Posted at 12-30 15:24
One thing to consider is that the SDK is coming out for the Mini 2 any day now which means third party apps will be available for it. Think Litchi autopilot, etc. This will make the Mini 2 much more capable. A SDK for the Mini 3 will be not be available until at least a year after release. Food for thought.

Definitely food for thought.  Happy Holidays!
2021-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules