crashed using active track.
2921 16 2021-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rhansen87
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95338 ft
United States

I bought the air2s last weekend, flew for a few days, about 3 hours total flight time.

Today i was using active track to follow my 3 yo on his power wheels tractor, and the drone flew forward kinda too fast, then backward, then full throttle sideways into a tree! ended up breaking one of the rear arms off.

super bummed.

Ive done the same thing with active track before and it did it no problem. although I noticed once my 3yo starts driving, the drone tries to catch up and over shoots, then it seams to panic and fly backwards.

maybe next time (after i fix this one) i should disable side flying?

ill add a video if anyone wants to see it.

Im not sure how to upload the flight log, ill play with that also.
2021-12-31
Use props
rhansen87
lvl.1
United States

here's the video, The drone lost the target at the front of the house when he went behind the flag, so I had to fly the drone back and re select him.

https://youtu.be/g2DqwCKsouI

2021-12-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Part of the problem is that you are too close for the area where you are.
2021-12-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

The A2s has no side sensors. That was a brutal test. Also I have noticed that when I override the tracking and then resume (as you did), the drone reacts with some suddenness. It is trying to keep the target in the center of frame and that does not usually work well in tight situations. You would need something like an M2 or M3 to succeed there IMO.
2021-12-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry to know about the accident. Please note that obstacles with small surface areas, such as leaves and branches will cause the obstacle avoidance function to fail to work normally. We recommend that you start a case through the link below and send the drone in for diagnosis and repair. If there is a doubt about the accident, data analysis can also be applied as long as the drone is within the warranty period. http://www.dji.com/support
2022-1-1
Use props
rhansen87
lvl.1
United States

How do I upload the flight log?
2022-1-1
Use props
Marcus A
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9885 ft
United States

You're asking a awful lot of the drone to avoid all the obstacles shown in your video.  Before the crash, you can see several instances where the collision avoidance function kicked in to save you.
2022-1-1
Use props
Marcus A
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9885 ft
United States

(Sorry for the continuing post ...)   In the end what got you was tree branches ... the anti-collision sensors can't often see them, esp. the smaller ones.  IMHO, this is nothing but pilot error.  Sorry to be harsh.
2022-1-1
Use props
jwp721
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332822 ft
United States

As mentioned that was a brutal test.  Actually amazed it did as well as it did….
2022-1-1
Use props
rhansen87
lvl.1
United States

So to avoid this in the future should I disable sideways flying?
Or just not use active track?

The drone has made this exact flight 4 times with success.

However the other flights I was much lower, probably 8' off the ground, and it navigated the branches and string light with ease.

Thats why I was surprised when I enabled it this last time and it did what it did.

I plan on taking down a few of those smaller trees so maybe next time it will be easier.
2022-1-1
Use props
JasonArizona
lvl.2
Flight distance : 351050 ft
United States

rhansen87 Posted at 1-1 10:54

It's awkward but disabling sideways flight in tight spaces might be the safest thing to do.  I have had this same issue (with a less destructive crash) and I only allow full movement when I'm way up high.
2022-1-1
Use props
VengefulHemi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3362310 ft
United States

Maybe compass and IMU calibration?
2022-1-4
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
Flight distance : 163862 ft
United States

JasonArizona Posted at 1-1 17:31
It's awkward but disabling sideways flight in tight spaces might be the safest thing to do.  I have had this same issue (with a less destructive crash) and I only allow full movement when I'm way up high.

How do you disable sideways flight?
2022-1-5
Use props
JasonArizona
lvl.2
Flight distance : 351050 ft
United States

It's somewhere in the settings.  There's also a little icon that looks like it has an arrow in a little hexagon.  If you tap it, it will toggle between "free" flight and restricted which disables sideways flight.
2022-1-5
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

rhansen87 Posted at 1-1 10:54

When you're flying in such close proximity to objects I would disable active track and go manual sticks.
2022-1-6
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

VengefulHemi Posted at 1-4 19:59
Maybe compass and IMU calibration?

You only need to do this ONLY when the crafts requests you to do it. Has nothing to do with this specific crash.
2022-1-6
Use props
rhansen87
lvl.1
United States

So I got the drone fixed up and flying again.

I took a video of it if anyone wants to check it out.

This is my first attempt at editing.

2022-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules