1156 21 2022-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

My first Mavic Mini accident
This time, unlike many situations that occur here at the Forum, I totally blame myself for this accident, as it was my fault, because of my confidence and knowledge beyond what I thought I had. Let's get to the facts:
It was New Year's Eve exactly, at 0:02 am and in a hurry, I took off the drone without the minimum amount of satellites. As I've done several ATTI flights, I didn't see any problem going up and taking the satellites at a higher height, however, I didn't realize that the drone was going backwards over my head at 3.5m and when it gave the stick command to front he didn't answer, I tried to cut the engines and also without success... Why? Maybe the antennas pointed upwards, cable badly connected in a hurry, anyway.
The drone hit an iron pole and fell off, as the propellers broke and he naturally turned upside down when he fell.
In addition to the scare, I went to account for the damage: all the propellers broke and nothing else! I changed the propellers, re-tightened all the screws and after a flight yesterday and incredibly, everything is OK! Maybe the Universe has given me a second chance to do the checklist next time and I ask friends here to do it.
On AirData I didn't get any analysis beyond the Kp = 4 index, but I got these (little) data from this excellent platform:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CI009B8M7TTQ70SDTQH4/

A hug and great 2022

271185420_5190600624297524_2221790564603086488_n.jpg 271188889_5190600637630856_5313817281313736891_n.jpg 271124297_5190600634297523_2462864232442612949_n.jpg 271384319_893847531277620_6490662200583723693_n.jpg
2022-1-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad the Mini survived with only prop damage and minor cosmetic dings.  Just a reminder to all of us to not get into a big rush but follow our pre-flight checklists.  
2022-1-4
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

if you push stick forward it should just go forward no matter what mode it was in. RC should be able to control with a phone or not as long as it has connection to the drone. Command for engine stop is not going to work unless you toggle "anytime" in the fly app or the drone detected a fault and you have it set to "emergency only". I feel the whole thing would have been ok if drone listened to your forward stick. Not sure why it did not listen.
2022-1-4
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 11:40
Glad the Mini survived with only prop damage and minor cosmetic dings.  Just a reminder to all of us to not get into a big rush but follow our pre-flight checklists.

This is exactly the purpose of this post: To warn that haste does not match safe flight. Thanks for your reply.

Hugs
2022-1-4
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

Guorium Posted at 1-4 15:38
if you push stick forward it should just go forward no matter what mode it was in. RC should be able to control with a phone or not as long as it has connection to the drone. Command for engine stop is not going to work unless you toggle "anytime" in the fly app or the drone detected a fault and you have it set to "emergency only". I feel the whole thing would have been ok if drone listened to your forward stick. Not sure why it did not listen.

Thanks for the answer. Yes, it will be a mystery that we will never know, but one thing is certain: Checklist, even if it takes a while, it is necessary.

Hugs
2022-1-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Guorium's observation about "Anytime" and "Energency Only" is correct but if you mean you tried to stop the motors in mid air then you did not use the correct command. That command is shown on page 38 of the manual.

In your log I see only the throttle being moved and the drone starting to descend approximately 0.7second later, that seems quite a delay and I do not know if the descent is it obeying the stick or falling after hitting the post.
2022-1-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

My first nighttime flight with my first drone, a Mini: I rushed outside to catch a long satellite train coming across the sky and wanted a video high enough to see it without the trees in the way. Bad idea. No GPS, no VPS....crashed into a bush across the road. No real damage but Lesson Learned
2022-1-4
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-4 17:59
Guorium's observation about "Anytime" and "Energency Only" is correct but if you mean you tried to stop the motors in mid air then you did not use the correct command. That command is shown on page 38 of the manual.

In your log I see only the throttle being moved and the drone starting to descend approximately 0.7second later, that seems quite a delay and I do not know if the descent is it obeying the stick or falling after hitting the post.[view_image]

Thanks for that info (how can i get around here?) i found this very helpful. The motor cut movement I'm sure I have done, I believe there must be some delay in the control or I didn't configure the app correctly, I'll check it when possible. Thanks again, friend.

2022-1-4
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

GaryDoug Posted at 1-4 20:02
My first nighttime flight with my first drone, a Mini: I rushed outside to catch a long satellite train coming across the sky and wanted a video high enough to see it without the trees in the way. Bad idea. No GPS, no VPS....crashed into a bush across the road. No real damage but Lesson Learned

These are things that really happen... Well it's part of our learning process and you can be sure, neither you nor I will repeat it, hahahaha.

Hugs
2022-1-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Junior - Brazil. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out.  Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Mavic Mini, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-1-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

in a hurry, I took off the drone without the minimum amount of satellites. As I've done several ATTI flights, I didn't see any problem going up and taking the satellites at a higher height, however, I didn't realize that the drone was going backwards over my head at 3.5m and when it gave the stick command to front he didn't answer, I tried to cut the engines and also without success... Why? Maybe the antennas pointed upwards, cable badly connected in a hurry, anyway.
You launched without GPS location data, which also means that your drone had no horizontal position holding ability and could drift on any wind.
Perhaps that's what happened?
It's had to tell because there is no GPS information in the data, so we have no idea where the drone was or what it was doing.
There's no record of you trying to flyig forward or killing the motors.

The only joystick inputs showing in the data are that you pushed the left stick up for 4 second and then down for 1 second.

But perhaps this isn't the data from the flight you described as it shows no crash at all.
Or maybe there's more data in a different flight record?

The data ends with the drone 3.6 metres up in the air.

On AirData I didn't get any analysis beyond the Kp = 4 index
Ignore the Kp Index info you see in an app.
It has nothing to do with drone flying and has no effect at all.

2022-1-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-4 20:25
Thanks for that info (how can i get around here?) i found this very helpful. The motor cut movement I'm sure I have done, I believe there must be some delay in the control or I didn't configure the app correctly, I'll check it when possible. Thanks again, friend.

If you are asking how I obtained the graphs, I used some software, CsvView, and processed either the log or the csv from PhantomHelp with that software.
csvview  =  https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html
2022-1-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-4 16:32
This is exactly the purpose of this post: To warn that haste does not match safe flight. Thanks for your reply.

Hugs

2022-1-5
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

Labroides Posted at 1-4 22:09
in a hurry, I took off the drone without the minimum amount of satellites. As I've done several ATTI flights, I didn't see any problem going up and taking the satellites at a higher height, however, I didn't realize that the drone was going backwards over my head at 3.5m and when it gave the stick command to front he didn't answer, I tried to cut the engines and also without success... Why? Maybe the antennas pointed upwards, cable badly connected in a hurry, anyway.
You launched without GPS location data, which also means that your drone had no horizontal position holding ability and could drift on any wind.
Perhaps that's what happened?

Thank you very much for your reply, I really have no idea what happened and I'm only sure: if I had done the checklist and waited for the satellites, there would be little chance of anything going wrong.

Hugs
2022-1-5
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-5 02:05
If you are asking how I obtained the graphs, I used some software, CsvView, and processed either the log or the csv from PhantomHelp with that software.
csvview  =  https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html

Thank you very much, my friend! I will test.

Hugs

2022-1-5
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-4 20:43
Hello there Junior - Brazil. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out.  Since this unfortunate event happened to your DJI Mavic Mini, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

Since I tested the drone and it is perfect, I don't see any reason to contact support, anyway, thanks for the attention.

2022-1-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-5 09:44
Since I tested the drone and it is perfect, I don't see any reason to contact support, anyway, thanks for the attention.

Hi there Junior - Brazil. Thank you for the reply and for these information that you have given. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2022-1-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice shot of the dome
2022-1-14
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

Blériot53 Posted at 1-14 00:48
Nice shot of the dome

Thank you!

2022-1-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome. Good to know the Mini survived.
2022-1-14
Use props
ReproRetro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635669 ft
Australia

The universe likes you
2022-1-14
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer