Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Some people wait...some people not...
123Next >
2538 88 2022-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geo_Drone
Captain
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I can't say that I like him, but the truth is clear: M3 is far from being a drone but a half cooked drone up to now.
Some people can wait for a fix another months...others have tight scheduals and having an expensive drone that is just sit and not produce money is not a good deal...
Decisions...decisions...At the end, each of us decide what to do with the money...keep M3 and hope for quick fixes, or just return/sell it and go to a mature drone like A2S or others...
(Also at A2S seems to be a lot of problems after last updates...and I can say it was the most stable/finished DJI product until this last updates).

2022-1-18
Use props
yogi053
Captain
Flight distance : 7953858 ft
United Kingdom

He takes almost 9 and a alf minutes to say he doesn't  like it and wants to sell it? Why did he buy it so fast then? As a 'professioal' he should have known all about the M3's shortcomings. He only has himself to blame!
2022-1-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

yogi053 Posted at 1-18 02:52
He takes almost 9 and a alf minutes to say he doesn't  like it and wants to sell it? Why did he buy it so fast then? As a 'professioal' he should have known all about the M3's shortcomings. He only has himself to blame!

We all buy (or wish to buy) to offer extra to clients...He is mostly in commercial footage, so for him is important the 4/3 sensor...We also wanted it only for this 4/3 sensor, not interested in obstacle avoidance as personally i deactivate it...
...But...I understand his point, as I experienced this with other products...Autel E2P was returned 1.5 years ago because of high instability of software...After they fixed it (almost, still have some minor bugs), I have purchased a whole lot for works...Also from DJI...purchased...tested it, was not ready in terms of video link stability, returned it.
Is not a problem to have some bugs...as long as you make your thing with the drone...I don't mind to wait for OA, for Tracking, for mastershots or for smart shots...I don't use them...But in our work, 3 things you need to have perfectly working:
1. Signal (both RC and GPS)
2. Gimbal calibrated horizon
3. Fast take-off/ GPS sync.
Without this 3, a drone is not a drone, but a flying toy.
And because people talked about issues with gimbal: How many of you know that IMU calibration is made when the drone is very cold, like kept in refrigerator -w/o battery, of course - and take it very cold = IMU calibrated immediately? And do not make it each flight, is made only once, then only when you get problems, as IMU calibration is not needed if is made right. (only compass needs if change the area)
2022-1-18
Use props
Fabriziooo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 244829 ft
  • >>>
France

Geo_Drone Posted at 1-18 03:27
We all buy (or wish to buy) to offer extra to clients...He is mostly in commercial footage, so for him is important the 4/3 sensor...We also wanted it only for this 4/3 sensor, not interested in obstacle avoidance as personally i deactivate it...
...But...I understand his point, as I experienced this with other products...Autel E2P was returned 1.5 years ago because of high instability of software...After they fixed it (almost, still have some minor bugs), I have purchased a whole lot for works...Also from DJI...purchased...tested it, was not ready in terms of video link stability, returned it.
Is not a problem to have some bugs...as long as you make your thing with the drone...I don't mind to wait for OA, for Tracking, for mastershots or for smart shots...I don't use them...But in our work, 3 things you need to have perfectly working:

what is the relationship between cold and IMU calibration ? Oo
2022-1-18
Use props
Miguel Leitao
First Officer
Flight distance : 1977067 ft
Portugal

Fabriziooo Posted at 1-18 03:50

Thats a good question...   
2022-1-18
Use props
yogi053
Captain
United Kingdom

We all buy (or wish to buy) to offer extra to clients...He is mostly in commercial footage, so for him is important the 4/3 sensor...We also wanted it only for this 4/3 sensor, not interested in obstacle avoidance as personally i deactivate it...

Ref. IMU calibration. Why is it that Dji are only too happy to give out the advice, too readily in my opinion, for users to carry out such recalibrations without referring to temperature environments when doing so.
I have this picture of a drone user from say, Arizona or Florida in the Summer having a problem and being advised by Dji, "carry out an IMU calibration". Would it be effective in those sort of temperatures then?
2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fabriziooo Posted at 1-18 03:50

IMU needs to warm up to temp it was first calibrated in. A lot of people choose to calibrate indoors so IMU will be continually looking for this temperature to warm up to. Leaving your craft outside fo 20 minutes or so before calibration will ensure that your IMU is accustomed to outside temperature so when starting up it will only need enough time to get to temperature it was calibrated to.

"Do not put your drone in a fridge EVER this is nothing but an urban myth and condensation will not be good for your drone.
2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drones are not put in refrigerator before IMU calibration. Refrigerator will cause condensation which will damage all electronics including IMU. And there is no need to calibrate compass unless prompted to.

These are just urban myths.
2022-1-18
Use props
frankymusik
Captain
Flight distance : 27713973 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 1-18 05:01
Drones are not put in refrigerator before IMU calibration. Refrigerator will cause condensation which will damage all electronics including IMU. And there is no need to calibrate compass unless prompted to.

These are just urban myths.

... thank you for your comments!
2022-1-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had/have a  one or more Phantom 3's with which there was a very long delay for it to be ready to fly, I put these (one at a time) in the fridge for an hour or so or put them outside. I calibrated the IMU as soon I removed the P3 from the fridge, or once they had been cold soaked, the subsequent boots are much shorter.
I do not think PUTTING a drone into the fridge causes condensation to form on or in the drone but removing the chilled drone from the fridge might. Putting the drone onto an open ziplock bag which is sealed with the minimum of air in it just BEFORE removing from the fridge might significantly reduce the condensation that would form on the drone, with foldable drones this 'bagging' should not be a problem. This is no different than bringing cold camera equipment indoors after it has been cold soaked during outdoor use in the cold.
2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-18 07:14
I had/have a  one or more Phantom 3's with which there was a very long delay for it to be ready to fly, I put these (one at a time) in the fridge for an hour or so or put them outside. I calibrated the IMU as soon I removed the P3 from the fridge, or once they had been cold soaked, the subsequent boots are much shorter.
I do not think PUTTING a drone into the fridge causes condensation to form on or in the drone but removing the chilled drone from the fridge might. Putting the drone onto an open ziplock bag which is sealed with the minimum of air in it just BEFORE removing from the fridge might significantly reduce the condensation that would form on the drone, with foldable drones this 'bagging' should not be a problem. This is no different than bringing cold camera equipment indoors after it has been cold soaked during outdoor use in the cold.

Why would you put your drone in a fridge. I guarantee you putting your drone in a fridge will invalidate your warranty. The reason for calibration “cold” is to ensure your drones IMU will warm up to the conditions you’re flying in. Now unless you live in the North Pole or a Fridge its nonsense to put your drone in a fridge.
Do you think dji left this instruction out of the Manual? . Its an urban myth and it did the rounds on this forum many times until it was dispelled by dji as a complete NO NO.

Its taking it out of the fridge that causes condensation, or you could just let it warm up in the bag to room temperature, but that just doesn’t make sense.

I often bring my cameras in from the cold of my car into my home and the first thing that happens is condensation appears on the lens. What you’re are saying is neither necessary or advised with any drone.
Just leave outside and calibrate after 15/20 mins or leave in a cold room for similar period. But No Fridge.
2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

yogi053 Posted at 1-18 04:08
Ref. IMU calibration. Why is it that Dji are only too happy to give out the advice, too readily in my opinion, for users to carry out such recalibrations without referring to temperature environments when doing so.
I have this picture of a drone user from say, Arizona or Florida in the Summer having a problem and being advised by Dji, "carry out an IMU calibration". Would it be effective in those sort of temperatures then?

You’re talking about minuscule improvements if any. I wouldn’t get hung up on it. Unless its taking a very long time to initiate.
2022-1-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This "Urban myth" appears to have worked every time I tried it with the Phantoms and it was the only 'change' made between long and slow boots.  
I stated my observations, you may consider the deductions I made from those observations to be incorrect and are welcome to do so but if you do do so can you offer an alternative explanation for the observed behaviour?
2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-18 07:57
This "Urban myth" appears to have worked every time I tried it with the Phantoms and it was the only 'change' made between long and slow boots.  
I stated my observations, you may consider the deductions I made from those observations to be incorrect and are welcome to do so but if you do do so can you offer an alternative explanation for the observed behaviour?

I’m not saying it didn’t work or doesn’t work. I’m saying its more likely to do damage to your drone. And im certain will void your warranty. I’m saying that you can achieve exactly the same effect by placing your drone outside or in a cold room and calibrate from there. What you are trying to do is set your warm up to the temperature you are likely to be flying in. But I can tell you from experience that even calibrating like this will only offer minuscule benefit. Your talking about P3 and Ive been flying since P2 and am aware of these myths its exactly the same as calibration of compass when you move to other locations.
2022-1-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
Flight distance : 10238648 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the record, if I ever put one of my drones in the refrigerator my wife will call a hospital for me, then a divorce attorney.  
2022-1-18
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-18 08:35
For the record, if I ever put one of my drones in the refrigerator my wife will call a hospital for me, then a divorce attorney.

Don't use the main fridge in the kitchen!  Use the beer fridge in your man cave!  

2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TonyPHX Posted at 1-18 08:35
For the record, if I ever put one of my drones in the refrigerator my wife will call a hospital for me, then a divorce attorney.

Not if you use Freezer Bags
2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-18 07:57
This "Urban myth" appears to have worked every time I tried it with the Phantoms and it was the only 'change' made between long and slow boots.  

I think I have calibrated my IMU 3 times in 7 years on 13 drones. I don’t rightly whether IMU’s in dji drones have improved over the years, but IMU warnings to calibrate are rare .

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surf as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment.
2022-1-18
Use props
NGC
First Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-18
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-18 09:04
I think I have calibrated my IMU 3 times in 7 years on 13 drones. I don’t rightly whether IMU’s in dji drones have improved over the years, but IMU warnings to calibrate are rare .

My MA2 has a really strange behavior, in that every flight it will slowly spin in some direction, UNLESS I calibrate the IMU before every single flight.  I know it's not suppose to be that way, but that's the problem my MA2 has and that is the work-around I employ.  As I'm well out of warranty and care refresh, I live with it.
2022-1-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Charles Adams Posted at 1-18 10:32
My MA2 has a really strange behavior, in that every flight it will slowly spin in some direction, UNLESS I calibrate the IMU before every single flight.  I know it's not suppose to be that way, but that's the problem my MA2 has and that is the work-around I employ.  As I'm well out of warranty and care refresh, I live with it.

IMU could have shifted. Normally calibration sorts that out.
2022-1-18
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

KlooGee Posted at 1-18 08:47
Don't use the main fridge in the kitchen!  Use the beer fridge in your man cave!

Can't do that as it is always fully stocked with cold beer.    No room for a drone.
2022-1-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
Captain
Flight distance : 18076785 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-18 10:55
Can't do that as it is always fully stocked with cold beer.    No room for a drone.

Watching the NFL Playoffs should take care of that.
2022-1-18
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

He sells most of the drones he reviewed.
2022-1-18
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Miguel Leitao Posted at 1-18 03:58
Thats a good question...

Noise. The hotter the IMU is the more noise there is.
2022-1-18
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-18 10:36
IMU could have shifted. Normally calibration sorts that out.

Yes it's odd.  It did have one rough landing during its life, and I wondered if that shifted the IMU such that it now really needs the calibration to prevent the "spin".  In any event, I can deal with it.  Still love that drone.
2022-1-18
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-18 10:55
Can't do that as it is always fully stocked with cold beer.    No room for a drone.

Easy solution!  Drink more!  
2022-1-18
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-18 11:34
Yes it's odd.  It did have one rough landing during its life, and I wondered if that shifted the IMU such that it now really needs the calibration to prevent the "spin".  In any event, I can deal with it.  Still love that drone.

Maybe you just need to treat it like the old tube tv's back when I was a kid and just give it a good smack on the side!  Maybe that will set it back straight!  

2022-1-18
Use props
DarthSLR
Captain
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

I find this to be a bit strange way to make a "for sale" post.
Like "hey, everybody, look at this good-for-nothing piece of... equipment, who wants it, only $2..3k".
I probably wouldn't buy it, but that's me...
2022-1-18
Use props
BrianKushner
Captain
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

yogi053 Posted at 1-18 02:52
He takes almost 9 and a alf minutes to say he doesn't  like it and wants to sell it? Why did he buy it so fast then? As a 'professioal' he should have known all about the M3's shortcomings. He only has himself to blame!

Well his main two complaints were not known issues on release.

1. GPS ISSUE
2. Tilted Horizon
2022-1-18
Use props
NGC
First Officer
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2022-1-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-18 08:52
Not if you use Freezer Bags

Lol!  Yes, that could throw her off for a while.  Hmm, tupperware made for drone storage!
2022-1-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 1-18 11:34
Yes it's odd.  It did have one rough landing during its life, and I wondered if that shifted the IMU such that it now really needs the calibration to prevent the "spin".  In any event, I can deal with it.  Still love that drone.

I can related Charles.  I purchased a M2Zoom refurbished and it and I just clicked.  It has a few defects but I can live with all of them.  And it is still my go-to drone.  

Air2S coming up right behind it.  But I'm still attached to the "older" one.
2022-1-18
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

Newb pilot here:   

1) SO. . . .how often ARE we supposed to calibrate compass and IMU?   From this thread. . it sounds like "rarely"?   (I am a little paranoid, so I want to do everything correctly - - > I have been calibrating at start of each day's flying - - -> Sounds like I can stop doing that?)

2) I would not cold soak a drone like that.  Letting the craft equilibrate to outdoor temperature prior to calibrations makes sense to me.  Condensation upon cold surfaces is real.   Biggest negative impact in my mind would be upon the batteries.
PS: Yes, I watched this video earlier today.  Disconnects like described here would absolutely freak me out as well.
2022-1-18
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

out of those 3 "reasons" I had only the first one - lucky me! And GPS lock is ANNOYING!!! But not a reason for me to sell M3 as it's the Best camera I ever lay hand on - Yes it has some quirks - I hope can be fixed by FW upgrade - but I like it, for now, a lot!
2022-1-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

1. IMU should NOT BE recalibrated as long as the drone does NOT REQUEST it...the best calibration is from factory, is hard to achieve the same calibration in home environment, as for calibration is used "cold rooms". Only Compass must be recalibrated when needed, also gimbal (on my E2P and E2E I have made only 2 times Compass and Gimbal calibration in 1 year, as was far away from initial compass calibration).
                  2. IMU should be COLD when you calibrate it as the metals are working very different at temperature (initial factory IMU is made in cold rooms, so you need to lower temp at around 7-10 degrees before calibration...Also HALLMARK, you do not have humidity in refrigerator, cold environment = lack of humidity. Also when you take it out from refrigerator, there is no such powerful humidity to affect the circuits (you leave the drone in refrigerator for a few minutes to reach 5-7 degrees C, not half hour). And as a fact, this advice is from Ken Booth, the one that was supervisor of DJI testing team...and I believe he knows what is talking about, better than a person with Zero training in this area but with many "opinions".
                  3. The main problem for any of us that WORKS with the drones and do not fly as recreation, is to work without problems at BASIC things: GPS, Gimbal, Video link stability. We don't give a damn about everything else like MS, OA, Follow me...That is what any reasonable person should understand...Any problems on one of this 3 basic things will ruin a contract...and in Commercials sometimes you have the opportunity to repeat the shooting, but sometime you just loose money...
               As my personal experience a couple days ago: One contract was in deadline, had 1 hour shooting time as there was windy after this interval (also the site was at 250km from my company HQ)...The high winds and bad weather lasted 6 days after this moment....if I was having issues with the drone at that 1 hour time, the contract would turn in a failure and should have penalty fees to pay...
                This is why I have specified: Some people have no pressure, can wait months for a fix at basic issues, but others that use the drones for many footage each week will not, as it costs money and possible penalties for not respecting the contracts.
2022-1-19
Use props
Geo_Drone
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Maxi3D Posted at 1-18 11:16
Noise. The hotter the IMU is the more noise there is.

EXACTLY !
But as now is winter, is enough on some parts of world just to have it outside for a few minutes...Here is from +5 degrees Celsius to -20 C in some parts...so refrigerator moved outside ))
2022-1-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why doesn't he at least wait for the next firmware. or does he know something we dont.
2022-1-19
Use props
yogi053
Captain
United Kingdom

BrianKushner Posted at 1-18 14:10
Well his main two complaints were not known issues on release.

1. GPS ISSUE

I will accept those points as well as NGC's point about connection issue. I still think that if, as someone who relies on something for financial reward could have been prepared to wait a little longer for a better working model.
2022-1-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Geo_Drone Posted at 1-19 00:50
1. IMU should NOT BE recalibrated as long as the drone does NOT REQUEST it...the best calibration is from factory, is hard to achieve the same calibration in home environment, as for calibration is used "cold rooms". Only Compass must be recalibrated when needed, also gimbal (on my E2P and E2E I have made only 2 times Compass and Gimbal calibration in 1 year, as was far away from initial compass calibration).
                  2. IMU should be COLD when you calibrate it as the metals are working very different at temperature (initial factory IMU is made in cold rooms, so you need to lower temp at around 7-10 degrees before calibration...Also HALLMARK, you do not have humidity in refrigerator, cold environment = lack of humidity. Also when you take it out from refrigerator, there is no such powerful humidity to affect the circuits (you leave the drone in refrigerator for a few minutes to reach 5-7 degrees C, not half hour). And as a fact, this advice is from Ken Booth, the one that was supervisor of DJI testing team...and I believe he knows what is talking about, better than a person with Zero training in this area but with many "opinions".
                  3. The main problem for any of us that WORKS with the drones and do not fly as recreation, is to work without problems at BASIC things: GPS, Gimbal, Video link stability. We don't give a damn about everything else like MS, OA, Follow me...That is what any reasonable person should understand...Any problems on one of this 3 basic things will ruin a contract...and in Commercials sometimes you have the opportunity to repeat the shooting, but sometime you just loose money...

More lies and ridiculous comments. You don’t ever put your drone in a fridge EVER.

And ken booth was a moderator on this forum, not the leading dji tester. And many of us who were on the forum at that time know him well. He was a moderator full stop ….
These were written by me and they are correct.

Tip To Help Avoid compass interference and crash.

1/ Never calibrate Compass unless prompted to. Your compass will always prompt to calibrate if it needs it .

2/ start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

3/ if you get Compass interference turn off AC and move to another location,
without interference.

4/ In bottom left hand corner on your map you will see small red triangle, check to make sure that this triangle is pointing in the same direction (heading) as your AC, this will show good compass on the ground.

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surf as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual and never put your drone in a fridge.
2022-1-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules