Range of SC vs RC Pro
1809 12 2022-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dr6583
Second Officer
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

For those who have graduated from the SC to the RC Pro specifically with the A2S, how would you compare the range?
Single SelectVote, Total 8 people participate in voting
50.00% (4)
25.00% (2)
25.00% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-1-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for starting this poll.  Will be interesting to see the results.  
2022-1-22
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm just curious who has the $$$ to get a SC then a RC Pro!

I imagine responses will be low for now since their is no FW to update standalone RC Pro when bought separately from the combo packages. At the moment the standalone RC  Pro *only* works for the M3.
2022-1-22
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-22 06:16
I'm just curious who has the $$$ to get a SC then a RC Pro!

I imagine responses will be low for now since their is no FW to update standalone RC Pro when bought separately from the combo packages. At the moment the standalone RC  Pro *only* works for the M3.

You sell the SC!  Won't break even, but I wouldn't expect to going to the RC Pro.  Once the firmware is released it will work.  Just a matter of time.  If people are hacking their way into getting the A2S firmware on the standalone RC Pro, and vice versa, then DJI will too.  And, he's making money off doing it.  Not that I would recommend it though.
2022-1-22
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

This poll would make more sense once DJI releases the firmware to use the RC Pro with the Air 2S. I would imagine there's quite a few of us waiting.... Right now only a fraction of the RC Pro owners can use it (I don't know what that fraction is).
2022-1-22
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

sduck Posted at 1-22 08:17
This poll would make more sense once DJI releases the firmware to use the RC Pro with the Air 2S. I would imagine there's quite a few of us waiting.... Right now only a fraction of the RC Pro owners can use it (I don't know what that fraction is).

Perhaps so. But there is another popular forum that has more traffic where there seems to be more people with experience with both. Perhaps I will inquire there also.  I don’t know how long these polls are active but I see your point in that it may be premature here.
2022-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Watching this to see the results too.
2022-1-23
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

sduck Posted at 1-22 08:17
This poll would make more sense once DJI releases the firmware to use the RC Pro with the Air 2S. I would imagine there's quite a few of us waiting.... Right now only a fraction of the RC Pro owners can use it (I don't know what that fraction is).

Now that new firmware has been released for A2S compatibility, this poll may actually mean something ;)
2022-1-23
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
United States

Yes! I will hopefully get to try it a bit tomorrow. Don't know how scientific my results will be - probably won't be doing any A-B testing, and I know confirmation bias is strong in me...
2022-1-23
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

sduck Posted at 1-23 21:25
Yes! I will hopefully get to try it a bit tomorrow. Don't know how scientific my results will be - probably won't be doing any A-B testing, and I know confirmation bias is strong in me...

Just FYI my motive for the poll is strictly selfish......if I can't expect much if any range increase then not much sense in getting the RC Pro for me.  But OTOH I would be willing to sell my SC and buy an RC Pro if responses to these polls justify it for me.
2022-1-24
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

I totally get it on seeing if there's any improvement between the SC and RC Pro. Now that the new FW for the RC Pro is out, hopefully we'll see some results. In the meantime, I found this YT video where they compared the RC Pro to the regular RC-N1 controller. Mind you it's in Europe so it's in CE mode with Mavic 3 not in FCC mode where it uses more power(?). Also this is using the FW at that time the video was recorded so there may be some improvements with more recent FW updates.

2022-1-24
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
United States

Ok, now I can vote. And I checked the "better" option. Some caveats on that: first, confirmation bias is definitely a thing, my new shiny toy should definitely be better than that cheap piece of plastic that they included, amiright? Maybe, maybe not. And, the differences in the hardware aren't that big - the antennas are maybe a bit better, but not by much, and I'm sure they're running at whatever highest power that the FCC will allow, probably about the same as on the RC-N1. I flew for about 2 hours this morning from the top of a hill, with great VLOS lines for miles in all directions. Although there are always other variables - the last time I flew from here there were leaves on the trees - still had great VLOS mostly that time, but no leaves this time. I was able to get maybe a mile and a half away before starting to get orange bars for reception, and the bars actually seemed to work correctly, unlike the standard controller where they were just basically either on or off. And a great thing - never once did I get choppy or dropped video transmission! That's a pretty big deal there. So, bottom line - I think it's a great idea if range is really something you want and/or need.

A side note - I put a screen protector on this before ever using it, but the one I got is a fingerprint magnet, and was pretty smudged up, and you can't really clean this thing easily while you're flying with it.
2022-1-24
Use props
dr6583
Second Officer
United States

sduck Posted at 1-24 11:16
Ok, now I can vote. And I checked the "better" option. Some caveats on that: first, confirmation bias is definitely a thing, my new shiny toy should definitely be better than that cheap piece of plastic that they included, amiright? Maybe, maybe not. And, the differences in the hardware aren't that big - the antennas are maybe a bit better, but not by much, and I'm sure they're running at whatever highest power that the FCC will allow, probably about the same as on the RC-N1. I flew for about 2 hours this morning from the top of a hill, with great VLOS lines for miles in all directions. Although there are always other variables - the last time I flew from here there were leaves on the trees - still had great VLOS mostly that time, but no leaves this time. I was able to get maybe a mile and a half away before starting to get orange bars for reception, and the bars actually seemed to work correctly, unlike the standard controller where they were just basically either on or off. And a great thing - never once did I get choppy or dropped video transmission! That's a pretty big deal there. So, bottom line - I think it's a great idea if range is really something you want and/or need.

A side note - I put a screen protector on this before ever using it, but the one I got is a fingerprint magnet, and was pretty smudged up, and you can't really clean this thing easily while you're flying with it.

Thanks for the review sduck!
2022-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules