Is fly away insurance worth pairing your RC to Drone?
1043 10 2022-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

I hesitated to pair my RC to my drone because I read that this will require periodic internet connections. I did not read how long you can go without needing an internet connection, after which time I assume I can no longer use my drone. [EDIT: I also won't have a cell signal as I'm totally off grid.]
That won't work for me because I am sometimes in locations where I won't have an internet connection for 3-4 weeks, possibly longer. How often is an internet connection required after pairing, and then how frequently?

Is this the only downside to pairing your drone with your RC? The benefit of fly away insurance seems valuable and I'd like to have that if I can, but not if I'll be blocked from flying.

EDIT

Here is a screenshot from the latest (as of yesterday) DJI Fly app of the pairing process where I got this information.
Screenshot_20220122-172100.jpg
2022-1-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Will you have cell service? If so use your phone's hot spot.
2022-1-22
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-22 13:17
Will you have cell service? If so use your phone's hot spot.

Unfortunately not - totally off the grid.
2022-1-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

It only needs to have internet connection just once when activating Care refresh if that's what you are asking. After that you do not need any network connection to fly and you can safely fly your drone.
2022-1-22
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Suren Posted at 1-22 13:24
It only needs to have internet connection just once when activating Care refresh if that's what you are asking. After that you do not need any network connection to fly and you can safely fly your drone.

This is what I'm talking about - this comes up before the pairing begins, in the terms of service. Screenshot_20220122-172100.jpg
2022-1-22
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Dangerly Posted at 1-22 17:18
During the pairing process, I read a notice within the DJI Fly app that I would need to re-establish an internet periodically *after* the pairing was completed. I can take a screen snapshot if that would help?

Please do but I put my phone into flight mode most times when flying and it does not affect your care refresh as long as you are flying with the RC your care refresh is bound to.
2022-1-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im flying smart controller which doesn't have Internet connection and its working fine.
2022-1-23
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

To be clear - Care is not "fly away" insurance.  It's crash insurance.  If you lose your drone and can't recover any part of it, you cannot make a claim.  You have to be able to return some broken pieces to DJI to get a new drone.
2022-1-31
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

BKahuna Posted at 1-31 21:20
To be clear - Care is not "fly away" insurance.  It's crash insurance.  If you lose your drone and can't recover any part of it, you cannot make a claim.  You have to be able to return some broken pieces to DJI to get a new drone.

Is what you wrote correct? See https://store.dji.com/guides/dji-care-refresh-flyaway-coverage/
2022-2-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

BKahuna Posted at 1-31 21:20

Thats incorrect. Care refresh now includes fly away coverage but the excess amount is much higher than what you would pay for a damaged drone that you can hand back to Dji.
2022-2-4
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

Well I'll be a ding-dong Daddy.  This is news to me.  I was unaware that there was a new kind of insurance.  The original DJI insurance would not cover fly aways.  Thanks for correcting me.
2022-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules