DJI OM 5 Tilt Calibration?
8579 24 2022-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FPG
lvl.1

United States

When I put the DJI OM 5 into Pano mode the phone tilts towards me. It is not level. It looks like this.

I had already calibrated the gimbal and the mount is on dead center. I measured with a measuring tape. Outside of pano most times I can get the phone to be centered just fine without tilt, but as soon as I og into Pano mode id does this weird tilt.

All I have been able to do is pull up the selfie stick and angle it a bit to compensate the level. If not and you shoot the pano with it tilted like that, you can't get a level shot.

What am I missing?

Tilt Pano

Tilt Pano

2022-1-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there FPG. I am sorry for the trouble this has accused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Thank you.
2022-1-30
Use props
FPG
lvl.1

United States

iPhone 11 Pro.
2022-2-1
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

I have that problem too. Using Huawei P20 lite. Will try my Oneplus 7t and post result.
2022-2-2
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yep, just checked my device. When you calibrate the gimbal in photo or video mode, mobile device is straight and true. Calibrating the gimbal in pano mode, mobile device is angled forward at finish. Selecting either photo or video modes brings it level again. I'm beginning to think this is by design, unless other OM5 users out there with differing phones on the compatible list can tell me otherwise!
2022-2-2
Use props
FPG
lvl.1

United States

Why would this be by design though? When you shoot the pano it makes the angle all distorted?

All I've been able to do is pull up the selfie stick and angle the head to be level.
2022-2-2
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I don't know why it would be by design that is why I would like other users to post their findings if they use devices on the 'compatible' list. For instance Dji's list shows differences in parameters achieved with different devices. ie, My Huawei can only zoom x4 yet my ONEPLUS7t can zoom x10. My Huawei can only go up to 1080 30fps whereas the ONEPLUS 7t can go up to 4k 30fps.
2022-2-2
Use props
fans59877e77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101532 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the exact same issue with iPhone 11 Pro and DJI Om 5.
2022-2-2
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans59877e77 Posted at 2-2 16:05
I have the exact same issue with iPhone 11 Pro and DJI Om 5.

Thanks for your post. I can only hope that other users of the OM5 will post their results as well. If it is a design/software/firmware issue then maybe DJI may take some action to change the action.
2022-2-3
Use props
FPG
lvl.1

United States

So I guess this is a known flaw or issue then. DJI. How about a fix other than manually compensating with the selfie stick?
2022-2-3
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

FPG Posted at 2-3 07:17
So I guess this is a known flaw or issue then. DJI. How about a fix other than manually compensating with the selfie stick?

Try emailing Dji support, you might get a quicker response.
2022-2-4
Use props
fans59877e77
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I returned the first one and bought another. Same problem.
Tried dealing with DJI support and gave up after 20 minutes of idiocy.
2022-2-4
Use props
fans59877e77
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Seems unusual that the problem isn't more widely reported. The only place I find mention of it is in this thread and one other in DJI Forums. Perhaps it's not universal to everyone?
2022-2-4
Use props
FPG
lvl.1

United States

fans59877e77 Posted at 2-4 15:37
Seems unusual that the problem isn't more widely reported. The only place I find mention of it is in this thread and one other in DJI Forums. Perhaps it's not universal to everyone?

You mean all the YouTubers with affiliate links to buy DJI products aren't talking about it? LOL.
2022-2-5
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

As there have been no further posts from other users for a week already and no input from moderators, I will email Dji support and post their reply, if any, here later.
2022-2-12
Use props
FPG
lvl.1

United States

They emailed me a long explanation of how the tilt is correct, it's the unit trying to maximize the space in the shot. They did admit if you want the shot to be level you have to raise the selfie stick and manually adjust.

In my opinion that is HORRIBLE. When using the tripod who wants a pano shot of mostly their ceiling or the sky? I'd rather have less horizontal width and a level subject.

They had no explanation for why the DJI OM 4 tilts sideways on Pano or why the 5 or 4 are so short pixel wise compared the iPhone native photo app's Pano feature.

So I guess a future version might be better. This is not a dealbreaker, but a huge downside to these models. I returned my 4. No way to compensate because there is no selfie stick and even the 5s only tilts up or down, not side to side, so that wouldn't help with a side tilt if the 4 had the selfie stick.
2022-2-12
Use props
djiuser_wvK8FW69w7cu
New

Costa Rica

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-30 19:38
Hello there FPG. I am sorry for the trouble this has accused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please for us to be able to isolate the said issue? Thank you.

Hi, any solution to this?
2022-3-12
Use props
djiuser_wvK8FW69w7cu
New

Costa Rica

FPG Posted at 2-12 07:45
They emailed me a long explanation of how the tilt is correct, it's the unit trying to maximize the space in the shot. They did admit if you want the shot to be level you have to raise the selfie stick and manually adjust.

In my opinion that is HORRIBLE. When using the tripod who wants a pano shot of mostly their ceiling or the sky? I'd rather have less horizontal width and a level subject.

And in their video explanation of the pano clone mode, you can see that their phone doesn’t tilt towards the girls. It works just fine in there
2022-3-12
Use props
lrt06
New
Flight distance : 76594 ft
France

Hi, same issue there with a Huawei p30 pro.
No matter how you calibrate it, the pano mode gets a weird angle and the result is just unusable.
Looks like it's a software issue, hope it will be fixed in a future Mimo release...
2022-3-20
Use props
Andras#39 Lens
lvl.1
Netherlands

Exact same issue with iPhone 6 too. This is useless.
2022-4-21
Use props
GeorgOctane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 285807 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Just for reference, this was already reported on the OM4, but it seems that no one at DJI was interested:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=232104
2022-5-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

GeorgOctane Posted at 5-3 02:26
Just for reference, this was already reported on the OM4, but it seems that no one at DJI was interested:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=232104

Sorry for the late reply. May we know have you encountered the same issue? Besides, have you updated the app and firmware to the latest version? If it's convenient, please provide us with a video related to it. We will forward it to our engineer for further confirmation. We will try our best to help you out. Sorry again for the inconvenience.
2022-5-3
Use props
GeorgOctane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 285807 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Please check the video that user "arachnida" uploaded to the link in the mentioned thread on OM4:

Link to video showing problem:

To reproduce the problem take ANY phone , ANY brand (most reports are for iPhones) with ANY firmware for OM4 or OM5 and ANY version of the Mimo-App - it happens on all...

BR,
Georg
2022-5-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

GeorgOctane Posted at 5-4 03:27
Please check the video that user "arachnida" uploaded to the link in the mentioned thread on OM4:

Link to video showing problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujfS2wubqgk&t=47s

Thanks for your reply. If you have the same issue, please try to take photos to see if there is any abnormality. This tilting situation is related to the compass of the phone.
2022-5-6
Use props
PepitoJr
lvl.1
Singapore

djiuser_wvK8FW69w7cu Posted at 3-12 20:06
And in their video explanation of the pano clone mode, you can see that their phone doesn’t tilt towards the girls. It works just fine in there

Yes! I ahve the same issue and sentiments. The girl’s phone in the demo video is not tilted. Even if I adjust the angle straight, once I press the shot button it will go back to tilted angle. I’m using iphone 12 promax and my pone looks like this photo that was posted earlier
2022-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules