M3 + RC Pro ==> how to keep the map display up to date?
5995 22 2022-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

With the Smart Controller I somehow managed to install the Google Play Store and thus also "Google Maps"...
At home you could then "visit" the flight area in advance and save a (larger) section of the map. So there was a good overview on the way, since the satellite maps were also available...

With the RC Pro I'm currently a little at a loss. Using a hotspot (via smartphone) also works, but I would prefer not to have any additional "interference sources", even if the reception conditions are not quite as excellent...

As far as I can see, there are currently no positive reports regarding the successful installation of Google Maps on the RC Pro...
Must / should DJI contribute something to this...?

2022-2-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Someone posted that just browsing the map when your on wifi was enough to cache that area.
2022-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Same here tried lost patience. Was hoping to download litchi for air2s but no luck.
2022-2-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 2-1 01:40
Someone posted that just browsing the map when your on wifi was enough to cache that area.

Of course I have to try that sometime...
2022-2-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

frankymusik Posted at 2-1 02:07
Of course I have to try that sometime...

Have you noticed since one of the last fly app updates the map is not entering properly anymore?
2022-2-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 2-1 02:13
Have you noticed since one of the last fly app updates the map is not entering properly anymore?

... without a hotspot, there was no map display at all where I was at the moment, and hadn't been with this M3 + RC Pro...
And I thought loading Google Maps would be the solution now...
2022-2-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I have Google maps on my RC Pro. Download it from APK Pure.
2022-2-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-1 07:29
I have Google maps on my RC Pro. Download it from APK Pure.

Hi Mobilehomer,
thanks for your information.
Can you use it to save map sections for use "in the field"...
If yes, how do you do it?
Google Maps asks me for an account, but I can't enter one....
2022-2-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

frankymusik Posted at 2-1 08:13
Hi Mobilehomer,
thanks for your information.
Can you use it to save map sections for use "in the field"...

So far, I haven't flown away from my home wifi. But when I do, I will use my phone hot spot. You can also cache the map for the area you intend flying by scrolling there at home and letting the area fully load.
2022-2-1
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-1 08:40
So far, I haven't flown away from my home wifi. But when I do, I will use my phone hot spot. You can also cache the map for the area you intend flying by scrolling there at home and letting the area fully load.

I understand.  
I just wanted to avoid the "hotspot" solution...
Anyway, you have to improvise a bit in the meantime.....
2022-2-1
Use props
AxelCKTF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3041 ft
France

Hi,

I have the same issue and also would like to avoid the hotspot solution.

On my older DJI controllers (paired with a phone) I was also able to get the path from the drone over the map. This actually helped me quite a few times in the past.
Do you think there's a way to display this path on the map? Even without map tiles loaded, the GPS path should be visible (and I could follow it in case I lost sight of the mini 3...)

2022-6-15
Use props
DarthSLR
First Officer
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pre caching works, but it's tedious and not obvious process, there is no clear indication whether the map is ready or not. Besides, when you don't know exactly where you are planning to be, it's not a feasible solution. And I still cannot figure out how to use iphone hotspot with RC pro... Life was so much easier with M2P...
2022-6-15
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DarthSLR Posted at 6-15 05:45
Pre caching works, but it's tedious and not obvious process, there is no clear indication whether the map is ready or not. Besides, when you don't know exactly where you are planning to be, it's not a feasible solution. And I still cannot figure out how to use iphone hotspot with RC pro... Life was so much easier with M2P...

I'm using Android,
but...
... did you watch this:
2022-6-15
Use props
Tony64
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65574 ft
United Kingdom

I use one of the DJI 4g Dongles & a cheap £3 per month Unlimited Data sim card, works perfect for me, the maps works & update no matter where I am, as long as there is 4g coverage that is.
2022-6-15
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tony64 Posted at 6-15 14:40
I use one of the DJI 4g Dongles & a cheap £3 per month Unlimited Data sim card, works perfect for me, the maps works & update no matter where I am, as long as there is 4g coverage that is.

... I see no need for it!
2022-6-15
Use props
djiuser_MhvHCDi1Rvnq
lvl.1
Canada

People keep forgetting that "just use the hotspot solution" isn't a solution. I might fly three times per day, and I am likely to not see cell service for up to 3 days at a time.

The only solution is to be able to cache maps, and hundreds of miles of maps.

Should I cancel my order for the new RC Mini pro controller?
2022-6-17
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_MhvHCDi1Rvnq Posted at 6-17 23:17
People keep forgetting that "just use the hotspot solution" isn't a solution. I might fly three times per day, and I am likely to not see cell service for up to 3 days at a time.

The only solution is to be able to cache maps, and hundreds of miles of maps.

I understand.
It's probably a question of the country you live in or a question of the network operator, whether it causes additional costs...
We here (in Germany) don't have such problems / additional costs...
I can't think of a better solution than a smartphone hotspot...
2022-6-18
Use props
djiuser_MhvHCDi1Rvnq
lvl.1
Canada

I am using my mini 3 to film in the wilderness. In three weeks I will begin to travel 3200km into Alaska through northern Canada. I will encounter more bears than I will cellphone towers. 3 days is expected between cellphone access. I need to use a satellite beacon for communication.  

I'd argue any real wilderness is void of cellphone communication.  

There are no extra costs, as there are no towers outside of the towns. Which can be over 500 km apart on some legs of my journey.

@dji is there any workaround?
2022-7-2
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2-1 02:13
Have you noticed since one of the last fly app updates the map is not entering properly anymore?

Yes, with 1.6.8 seems to have options locked out on the map view on RC-PRO for me.
2022-7-3
Use props
markoconnell
lvl.2
United States

On my older DJI controllers (paired with a phone) I was also able to get the path from the drone over the map. This actually helped me quite a few times in the past.
Do you think there's a way to display this path on the map? Even without map tiles loaded, the GPS path should be visible (and I could follow it in case I lost sight of the mini 3...)
Same here.
2022-10-13
Use props
Lorpal
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_MhvHCDi1Rvnq Posted at 7-2 01:31
I am using my mini 3 to film in the wilderness. In three weeks I will begin to travel 3200km into Alaska through northern Canada. I will encounter more bears than I will cellphone towers. 3 days is expected between cellphone access. I need to use a satellite beacon for communication.  

I'd argue any real wilderness is void of cellphone communication.  

I think google maps cache is maximum 200km radius

That’s 400km diameter and won’t quite fix you up. If you hit Whitehorse in between legs you could download a new map at that point.
2022-10-22
Use props
jeffjeffellisphoto.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4039862 ft
United States

DarthSLR Posted at 6-15 05:45

New to Mavic 3. (Nov. 2022) and the RC Pro. Same issue here, my iPhone 11 will not show up in the Networks list. I have tried every way I can think of.
Up to date on all software & firmware.

Has anyone with iPhone & RC Pro been able to do this yet??

And pre-cacheing does work - but really need to be able to connect when out in the field...
2022-11-10
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

jeffjeffellisphoto.com Posted at 11-10 10:31
New to Mavic 3. (Nov. 2022) and the RC Pro. Same issue here, my iPhone 11 will not show up in the Networks list. I have tried every way I can think of.
Up to date on all software & firmware.

I have spent considerable time with this, and it has not been fun or productive.  Good luck to anyone who does...
2022-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules