Osmo Action File Sizes
4435 3 2022-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brownel02
lvl.1

United States

Update, had an issue with the pic.  Should be good now.

Background (skip to the table to avoid my ramblings, ha):

I recently purchased an Osmo Action to record softball games for my daughter. This will be in addition to the iPhone and Game Changer App we use.  I wanted the Osmo to get better footage and so the girls can make clips to send to college coaches.  So, I built a nice rig to attach to the backstop and was ready to go.  I probably should have done more research prior to the purchase but I can make it work in the long run.  Having done a similar thing for my other daughter on the soccer side for the past 6 years, but with a traditional camcorder, I was expecting one file from which to import, share, edit…  Unfortunately, the Osmo has a 4Gb limit on file size which adds hours of extra work to my side, this tidbit is not something that appears in the specs.  No longer can I just drag and dop the files to the YouTube channel and walk away.  Now they need to be stitched together and post processed before uploading.  Huge PITA.  The first few games out were a huge learning curve and I ended up with about 16-18 files per game to stitch together.  Videos were taken at 2.7K/60 and 1080/60.  Unacceptable amount of post-game work given they play 6-7 games per weekend!!  

After my shock of pulling the files I did more research and found the 4Gb limit as well as a few file size numbers thrown out.  Again, past experience with my old camera and friends with GoPro’s do not experience this joy.  This led to a quick design of experiments where I just captured a 1min video at most of the resolutions and frame rates and compared sizes.  Most of this info is already out there in some form but I couldn’t find everything in one spot so I compiled the following table.  From the results and viewing some practice video, I settled on recording at 1080/30 for game time.  This will leave me with about 6 files per game (roughly 1:45 (105 minutes) per game).  Your mileage may vary and I am open to any other suggestions that result in 1 file (or at least fewer files) per game.  And yes, DJI, I now know that FAT32 limitations you are self-imposing and why, in your words (“if one file is corrupt then you lose the whole thing…”).  ß Maybe give us the option to choose one file or many and assume the risk ourselves??? Thanks

Table of file sizes:
Osmo File Sizes.JPG

2022-3-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Brownel02. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for sharing these information with us. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. Thank you.
2022-3-1
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Unfortunately OA utilizes very few video bitrates, 100Mbps  being the one for majority of the resolutions / frame rates. The lowest bitrate possible (36Mbps) is only available at 1080p, 30 fps or less.
2022-3-14
Use props
Nancy Loosley
New

United Kingdom

Can dji do a firmware update where there is a choice between one file per recording or more than one?
Or can you tell me how to produce a video as one file

TIA
2022-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules