Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.politico.com/news/20 ... llites-war-00013211

Anyone know how GPS works?  Can this significantly affect DJI drones?  Do the DJI drones switch between 3 or more satellite standards?
2022-3-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

No idea, but I'm going to go barricade myself into the situation room now.
2022-3-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Anyone know how GPS works?
No-one does ... it's a complete mystery.
Can this significantly affect DJI drones?  Do the DJI drones switch between 3 or more satellite standards?
There are lots of satellites that aren't used for navigation?
The article wasn't mentioning navigational sats.
It won't have any effect on flying drones.

2022-3-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-3 15:41
Anyone know how GPS works?
No-one does ... it's a complete mystery.
Can this significantly affect DJI drones?  Do the DJI drones switch between 3 or more satellite standards?

I'm not sure if the signal can be intercepted or disrupted and it would confuse the drone?

Would be nice to have our own localized GPS-like that isn't reliant upon Space satellites to get positioning so certain things don't go totally out of control if autonomy was 100% reliant upon positioning data.  Perhaps with enough triangulation lidars and vision positioning cameras, AI can assume direct control for reasons such as lost-link to the operators controllers and feed out of line-of-sight.

Maybe for Chinas military this already exist or would be developed.  We can assume China would be the last Superpower country standing after Russia and the US/North American Treaty Organization gets destroyed.

I'm still amazed how such a great feed from super way out exist with nearly no lag on the DJI FPV drone.  China deserves the best.  If everyone gets nuked, the advancements of humanity can bloom with no restriction.

disclaimer.. everyone should live but the US infinite money pumping is going to ultimately destroy the world from scarcity issues beyond what anyone sees today.  Before people lose their minds while sane, dying from matters beyond their control should be seen as a liberation like COVID created by the natural creator(God) order but people seem to be seeing otherwise by masking and vaccination.  The real "envy" shouldn't be the riches of this world but the envy of those resting in a peaceful afterlife though we should try our best to live/grind forever on Earth believing  it will be at least 10,000 years without issue even though we know it's no where near that if we stop the bs and analyze everything.

watch this nuclear video someone made:
2022-3-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-3 16:55
I'm not sure if the signal can be intercepted or disrupted and it would confuse the drone?

Would be nice to have our own localized GPS-like that isn't reliant upon Space satellites to get positioning so certain things don't go totally out of control if autonomy was 100% reliant upon positioning data.  Perhaps with enough triangulation lidars and vision positioning cameras, AI can assume direct control for reasons such as lost-link to the operators controllers and feed out of line-of-sight.

That last para suggests that your brain has been hacked by rogue satellite technology.
Time to get back on your medication.
2022-3-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-3 17:26
That last para suggests that your brain has been hacked by rogue satellite technology.
Time to get back on your medication.

I'm not on medication.  The issue is when the deepest of meaning doesn't get touched upon.  This is why WW3 is happening.  The controlled media narratives can only be controlled for so long.  You can see this when Ukrainians on the news still talk about "laws" that cannot be enforced.
2022-3-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-3 17:58
I'm not on medication.  The issue is when the deepest of meaning doesn't get touched upon.  This is why WW3 is happening.  The controlled media narratives can only be controlled for so long.  You can see this when Ukrainians on the news still talk about "laws" that cannot be enforced.

I'm not on medication.
I know ... that's the problem.
2022-3-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

AntDX316 Posted at 3-3 16:55

Ant- With all due respect - WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING BRO- LEAVE IT NOW
2022-3-3
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 3-3 18:38
Ant- With all due respect - WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING BRO- LEAVE IT NOW

This reminds me of the time I flew Southwest Airlines.  I was trapped in a window seat.  Dude sat next to me.  As soon as the door to the plane was closed, he told me that he was the lord and savior Jesus Christ.  He proceeded to talk my ear off about everything.  Finally he ate four twinkies, had some kind of blood sugar issue and went to sleep.  Strangest flight of my life.
2022-3-3
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

TonyPHX Posted at 3-3 18:52
This reminds me of the time I flew Southwest Airlines.  I was trapped in a window seat.  Dude sat next to me.  As soon as the door to the plane was closed, he told me that he was the lord and savior Jesus Christ.  He proceeded to talk my ear off about everything.  Finally he ate four twinkies, had some kind of blood sugar issue and went to sleep.  Strangest flight of my life.

2022-3-3
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Four Twinkies that was good.
2022-3-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 3-3 17:58
I'm not on medication.  The issue is when the deepest of meaning doesn't get touched upon.  This is why WW3 is happening.  The controlled media narratives can only be controlled for so long.  You can see this when Ukrainians on the news still talk about "laws" that cannot be enforced.

dude, get it together; you're losing it.  c'mon!
2022-3-3
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It's not a joke but we can't do much about though.  Sure, make "me" as a joke instead but it doesn't change what is happening.
2022-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting article Ant.   Thanks for sharing.
2022-3-4
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

To my knowledge the satellite system that were "hacked" was not Glonass, which is Russias positioning and navigation system. So, the quick answer is that this has zero impact on your mavic 3.

Regarding how GPS works however, I can speak to that as I do have some knowledge of it. Ive been in and out of the radio communications hobby for over 25 years. I started in the hobby when I was just 12 years old. At 13 I had a desk in my bedroom full of radio communication equipment. CB base station, Shortwave radio's, Scanners, various walkie talkies, and was already wanting to get into HAM radio. I was a nerd. This was in the 1990's. GPS at that time was a new technology. I remember reading in my magazines that I had subscriptions to at the time about GPS Receivers. I eventually got on of those as well just as a toy. They were big bulky devices then.  Needless to say I absorbed a lot of knowledge in those years as I found radio waves and communications fascinating.

To break down GPS in simple terms, think of it as little more than a radio station you can tune into in your car. For example lets use a made up "KISS 102.7 ROCK" as an example, which would be a radio station on the FM Dial at 102.7. The important part of this call sign that id like to point to is '102.7', which is the frequency, in megahertz (mhz), that the radio station broadcasts on. Any radio device that can tune into the frequency of 102.7mhz can listen to that radio station so long as they are in range of the tower that is broadcasting that signal. GNSS systems work very much this same way, except that the antenna broadcasting the signal is a group of satellites that are in earth orbit. The Various GPS Constellations (GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, etc) broadcast in the frequency ranges of 1100-1500mhz. The drone receives signals from all of the constellations it is designed to receive from, all at the same time. Instead of Rock music however, the radio signals are reference points and data from the satellites that allows the GPS receiver to accurately pinpoint its location on earth. The receiver also downloads data about the current location in the sky of each satellite in the constellation, their trajectory of orbit etc.

Can a hacker interfere with this? Not on the receiving side. I saw someone above mention the signal being "intercepted" or "disrupted". You cant really "intercept" the signal. This is not like a wire connection you have with a satelite. Remember the satelites are like a radio station, they are simply broadcasting radio waves toward the earth, and everyone can tune in to the waves. It is like light from a light source. You can not intercept light. You can block it, just as you can radio waves, (which is why GPS doesnt work indoors) but you can not intercept the radio waves and somehow prevent someone else from receiving the signal. The only way to disrupt the GPS system would be to gain access to the internal system itself. The space agency that perhaps communicates and manages the constellation, if you got access to their internal system where you could then gain access to the satellites somehow, but there is no way really on the end user side to affect GPS. I guess you could theoretically design a jammer for the 1100, 1200, and 1500mhz frequency bands, but that is getting into the weeds of the issue. This is the elementary explanation of how GNSS works.
2022-3-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 3-4 09:17
To my knowledge the satellite system that were "hacked" was not Glonass, which is Russias positioning and navigation system. So, the quick answer is that this has zero impact on your mavic 3.

Regarding how GPS works however, I can speak to that as I do have some knowledge of it. Ive been in and out of the radio communications hobby for over 25 years. I started in the hobby when I was just 12 years old. At 13 I had a desk in my bedroom full of radio communication equipment. CB base station, Shortwave radio's, Scanners, various walkie talkies, and was already wanting to get into HAM radio. I was a nerd. This was in the 1990's. GPS at that time was a new technology. I remember reading in my magazines that I had subscriptions to at the time about GPS Receivers. I eventually got on of those as well just as a toy. They were big bulky devices then.  Needless to say I absorbed a lot of knowledge in those years as I found radio waves and communications fascinating.

So based upon the satellites position and the triangulation position, math is done to determine a point on the ground? Now, with RTK, it's like this too but having more accuracy as something else is on the ground?  Is it possible to have more than 1 RTK system for super redundancy?  I assume this is already done with missile defense.

If there were planes flying in between with the main purpose of replacing the satellite GPS, it should be able to successfully replace the GPS transmission as the device would think it's the GPS when it's not?
2022-3-4
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tornado12 Posted at 3-4 09:17
To my knowledge the satellite system that were "hacked" was not Glonass, which is Russias positioning and navigation system. So, the quick answer is that this has zero impact on your mavic 3.

Regarding how GPS works however, I can speak to that as I do have some knowledge of it. Ive been in and out of the radio communications hobby for over 25 years. I started in the hobby when I was just 12 years old. At 13 I had a desk in my bedroom full of radio communication equipment. CB base station, Shortwave radio's, Scanners, various walkie talkies, and was already wanting to get into HAM radio. I was a nerd. This was in the 1990's. GPS at that time was a new technology. I remember reading in my magazines that I had subscriptions to at the time about GPS Receivers. I eventually got on of those as well just as a toy. They were big bulky devices then.  Needless to say I absorbed a lot of knowledge in those years as I found radio waves and communications fascinating.

Yes and no it's hard to block a GPS signal being transmitted and a received in general terms but in a localised area signal jamming is completely possible where frequencies at whatever chosen range can be disrupted, Radio jamming happens in the UK a fair bit during tests and exercises, NOTAMs often state this in specific areas, police and military in the UK can just do this on a whim they have to get government approval first (such as in a terrorist threat area they still need permission) once granted they can blocked specified frequencies mainly mobile and wireless bands, this can also have a huge effect on GPS or anything else in the in the area of transmission. Hacking a satellite array is hard work but is most likely not to take it offline but to introduce what is a called a wobble that means that any systems that use it will have inaccurate information, this was the case for the milspec stuff as it meant with out the correct corrections it would be out by a few meters etc..... this would be a global hack and effect all users but much harder to do as often each passing satellite in an array is often talking to each other where firmware etc... is checked against a known source i.e another unit with another to verify so a hack would be hard to stay up for long unless its the ground station that commands it! I think your DJI drone will be fine but maybe lay out the M&Ms for a bit chap and try to be less political as the forum isnt for that
2022-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Schmooit Posted at 3-4 11:16
Yes and no it's hard to block a GPS signal being transmitted and a received in general terms but in a localised area signal jamming is completely possible where frequencies at whatever chosen range can be disrupted, Radio jamming happens in the UK a fair bit during tests and exercises, NOTAMs often state this in specific areas, police and military in the UK can just do this on a whim they have to get government approval first (such as in a terrorist threat area they still need permission) once granted they can blocked specified frequencies mainly mobile and wireless bands, this can also have a huge effect on GPS or anything else in the in the area of transmission. Hacking a satellite array is hard work but is most likely not to take it offline but to introduce what is a called a wobble that means that any systems that use it will have inaccurate information, this was the case for the milspec stuff as it meant with out the correct corrections it would be out by a few meters etc..... this would be a global hack and effect all users but much harder to do as often each passing satellite in an array is often talking to each other where firmware etc... is checked against a known source i.e another unit with another to verify so a hack would be hard to stay up for long unless its the ground station that commands it! I think your DJI drone will be fine but maybe lay out the M&Ms for a bit chap and try to be less political as the forum isnt for that

Someone should hack this message and put some punctuation in it.
2022-3-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dang, I think I sat next to that same gent or his evil twin as I experienced almost an identical event about 3 years ago on a flight to South America.
2022-3-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-4 15:17
Dang, I think I sat next to that same gent or his evil twin as I experienced almost an identical event about 3 years ago on a flight to South America.

He must get around!  : )  
2022-3-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schmooit Posted at 3-4 11:16
Yes and no it's hard to block a GPS signal being transmitted and a received in general terms but in a localised area signal jamming is completely possible where frequencies at whatever chosen range can be disrupted, Radio jamming happens in the UK a fair bit during tests and exercises, NOTAMs often state this in specific areas, police and military in the UK can just do this on a whim they have to get government approval first (such as in a terrorist threat area they still need permission) once granted they can blocked specified frequencies mainly mobile and wireless bands, this can also have a huge effect on GPS or anything else in the in the area of transmission. Hacking a satellite array is hard work but is most likely not to take it offline but to introduce what is a called a wobble that means that any systems that use it will have inaccurate information, this was the case for the milspec stuff as it meant with out the correct corrections it would be out by a few meters etc..... this would be a global hack and effect all users but much harder to do as often each passing satellite in an array is often talking to each other where firmware etc... is checked against a known source i.e another unit with another to verify so a hack would be hard to stay up for long unless its the ground station that commands it! I think your DJI drone will be fine but maybe lay out the M&Ms for a bit chap and try to be less political as the forum isnt for that

it would be cool to have some reliability knowing what stuff we have won't crash into us and make us bleed when something else fails and makes it go "haywire", heavy reliance upon GPS but this is all considering of course Nuclear war and the developments of those who "have" can still continue like "old" times in which people should be putting some thinking investments on the afterlife being possibly be better than what Masssive issues that could potentially happen on Earth when everyone lives "long as nuts" that people know nothing about today (losing minds like but not limited to the Miss USA who jumped off the NYC building)
2022-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 3-5 14:32
it would be cool to have some reliability knowing what stuff we have won't crash into us and make us bleed when something else fails and makes it go "haywire", heavy reliance upon GPS but this is all considering of course Nuclear war and the developments of those who "have" can still continue like "old" times in which people should be putting some thinking investments on the afterlife being possibly be better than what Masssive issues that could potentially happen on Earth when everyone lives "long as nuts" that people know nothing about today (losing minds like but not limited to the Miss USA who jumped off the NYC building)

You really need to stop using whatever drugs you are on.

btw .. this is a drone forum.
You might be better addressing your concerns at:
https://www.mentalhealthforum.net/
2022-3-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-5 16:54
You really need to stop using whatever drugs you are on.

The less you know the better but Russia is making that no longer work.  Maybe you need to upgrade your knowledge base to allow what you "don't" want to hear without it always resorting to someone else being the problem.
2022-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 3-4 17:42
He must get around!  : )

He sure must.    
2022-3-5
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

All I can say is wow,what more can you say.
2022-3-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

2022-3-5
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Labs, make up your mind!!! Does he need drugs? Or to stop using drugs?

By the way, not all of us Americans are nuts!!
2022-3-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you guys don't care and want to be brainwashed into believing "everything" is ok, as long as the US can keep infinite money pumping without challenge, and scarcity will not affect any of us for at least 100 years, no need to worry now then as it's all about how it is in the meantime.  No need to worry about Ukraine either, out of sight out of mind.  

I'm not dumb, everything is ok with me and what is currently around me but it doesn't mean the stuff that happens around the world won't ruin the world.  Look at the attacks on the Nuclear power plant.  You want shift focus to me as the solution to the worlds problems Is the problem.  Stop scapegoating and have more trust and ignorance.

The media will try their best to keep the "sheep" in-line but that can only last for so long and Russia is fed up.  If you actually analzye Everything I've said with the best knowledge in the world without being prejudice with your Flawed ways of thinkings, you would realize I am possibly right and you would lose Your minds so maybe you guys need to have the meds on standby in preparation. : )

Stop scapegoating, I'm just an observer too.  Looking at me is not going to solve the worlds problems.
2022-3-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ViU9QkaYM214 Posted at 3-5 18:00
You need some Thorazine. Stat! You, (in and of yourself) aren’t the problem. It’s the fact that you’re not taking your medication that is likely the problem.

Modern medicine may perhaps restore you to something approaching rational behavior. But the DJI forum unfortunately isn’t able to help you with your mental issues.

Don't be an idiot.  Perhaps all of you would remember what happened here when nukes start to fly and realize You were all narrative controlled or not because I don't really care.  Find an answer as to what is going on with Russia and solve it.  Maybe you will realize a lot of bs that is not Russian.

Russia seems done with all the bs.  I am not Russian.
2022-3-5
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ViU9QkaYM214 Posted at 3-6 05:29
Your supplier isn’t doing you any favors. You could best be served by perusing through the many online mental health resources and learning from others who share the same mental afflictions as you.
-Putin

It's you who needs the mental help.  Stop looking elsewhere and look at yourself.  I feel like you are in a panic and need to calm down.  Just ignore more as we all have to do in life and trust more.  No matter what hopefully, we all should be good but if not what we can do anyway?  There are so many undiscovered, unresearch, undeveloped, unimplemented things that would've saved people but even If those did exist not everyone could afford to have them and in between, "accidents" wipe people out and if not that super Old age makes us die out.

Knowing "less" and scapegoating is Not true stability.  No matter how advanced life gets we all aren't living "forever" on Earth no matter How much make believe we make ourselves out to believe it.  A new religion or upgraded Bible religion has to happen with all this tech but if not oh well.
2022-3-6
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_ViU9QkaYM214 Posted at 3-6 11:18
How long do these “episodes” generally last with you?

Just relax. : )

Just please don't operate heavy machinery or drone fly if you don't feel safe(confident/calm) imo..
2022-3-6
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

<funny>      This thread confirms my biggest fear. I need to stop using GPS and learn  how to fly in atti mode. Problem solved.

OH NO! What if the signal from my controller is hacked or blocked? Then even atti mode won't work. Need a way to tether to the drone with lightweight wire. I'll have to work on that.
</funny>
2022-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

NightThunder Posted at 3-7 17:32
This thread confirms my biggest fear. I need to stop using GPS and learn  how to fly in atti mode. Problem solved.

OH NO! What if the signal from my controller is hacked or blocked? Then even atti mode won't work. Need a way to tether to the drone with lightweight wire. I'll have to work on that.

What if the signal from my controller is hacked or blocked? Then even atti mode won't work. Need a way to tether to the drone with lightweight wire. I'll have to work on that.
No-one is blocking or jamming your signal.
But if they were, that would only trigger a failsafe RTH.
Atti mode would still work .. but so would GPS mode.
Don't let the rambling of the village idiot scare you.
2022-3-8
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-8 01:50
What if the signal from my controller is hacked or blocked? Then even atti mode won't work. Need a way to tether to the drone with lightweight wire. I'll have to work on that.
No-one is blocking or jamming your signal.
But if they were, that would only trigger a failsafe RTH.

I was just trying to be funny.
2022-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NightThunder Posted at 3-8 20:47

When you’re in school your not allowed be funny ;+)
2022-3-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

NightThunder Posted at 3-8 20:47

for your next messages for some readers ; <funny>...txt...txt...txt...</funny>   

2022-3-9
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 3-4 14:08
Someone should hack this message and put some punctuation in it.

Granted! I did that on a phone so couldn't be bothered, us dyslexics are not the best around that either!
2022-3-9
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

@ant: got foil?
2022-3-9
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NightThunder Posted at 3-7 17:32
This thread confirms my biggest fear. I need to stop using GPS and learn  how to fly in atti mode. Problem solved.

OH NO! What if the signal from my controller is hacked or blocked? Then even atti mode won't work. Need a way to tether to the drone with lightweight wire. I'll have to work on that.

We can only do so much.  Some people just don't fly, drive, etc.  The risk discretion varies amongst people which is why some can do like 1080°s in the air like nothing happened and some can't even do Half a 360°without being permanently injured forever.
2022-3-9
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 3-9 15:39
We can only do so much.  Some people just don't fly, drive, etc.  The risk discretion varies amongst people which is why some can do like 1080°s in the air like nothing happened and some can't even do Half a 360°without being permanently injured forever.

Antonio - man, you are coming unglued man.  Call a doctor and get sorted out.
2022-3-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules