123Next >
40179 109 2022-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cloudbase
lvl.1
Flight distance : 243035 ft
United Kingdom

I've just purchased a Mavic 3 from Amazon Warehouse. I'm trying to unbind it but its locked to the previous owners account. I obviously have no way of contacting the previous owner. Is there a fix for this? Would a factory reset unbind the aircraft?
2022-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You shouldn’t Need to unbind. You just need to sign into your account, usually this one that you’re on now. You should be asked to sign in and the craft becomes bound to you. Never heard of this before. What RC are you using ?
2022-4-1
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I've bought an RC Pro as well. It won't allow me to bind due to the aircraft being bound to the previous owner.
There's multiple posts of other people with the same issue. None seem to have a solution
2022-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cloudbase Posted at 4-1 08:59
I've bought an RC Pro as well. It won't allow me to bind due to the aircraft being bound to the previous owner.
There's multiple posts of other people with the same issue. None seem to have a solution

Have you got DJI assistant, if you have just factory reset both then update both to present FW. The binding should be gone. This binding is new and typical DJI made no allowance For this. Sorry about this mate. Other than that wait for a moderator to pop on see what they say.

If you haven’t got DJI assistant you can download

https://www.dji.com/ie/downloads
2022-4-1
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for your help. I'll try it now
2022-4-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

To Cloudbase, I forsee an Amazon return looming for you.
Is not the purpose of this binding to prevent other people from flying a found drone  etc. etc. If so there SHOULD be NO WAY to for you overcome the binding by 'alternative' methods.
It sounds as if Amazon are going to be the loser here as the first owner did not break the binding before returning it, I wouldn't mess with the drone just in case it does need to go back.
To give a sliver of hope, maybe Amazon keep sufficient details of returns to be able to contact the original owner and ask them to break the binding though I am not sure if that can be done remotely i.e. with the drone not being in the presence of the original owner or in contact with an App logged into their DJI account.
Alternatively Amazon could ask the original owner for their DJI account log in details and pass those on to you so that you can break the binding yourself but I'd guess the chance of those being provided are slim.

I suppose it cumulatively would take Amazon a lot of time to check returned drones for something like this.
2022-4-1
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-1 09:37
To Cloudbase, I forsee an Amazon return looming for you.
Is not the purpose of this binding to prevent other people from flying a found drone  etc. etc. If so there SHOULD be NO WAY to overcome the binding.
It sounds as if Amazon are going to be the loser here as the first owner did not break the binding before returning it, I wouldn't mess with the drone just in case it does need to go back.

amazon sent you used product as new, locked you out, return it.  return it to amazon, and get your money back.  stop buying from amazon.  
2022-4-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

.........fbz6, why are you quoting me and giving me that advice? I am not the purchaser.
Besides the drone was bought from Amazon Warehouse, isn't that 'where' Amazon sell returned items from?
If so, then since Cloudbase explicitly mention the warehouse I would assume that Cloudbase was aware that they were NOT buying a "new'" drone but rather a returned drone.
2022-4-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 4-1 08:53
You shouldn’t Need to unbind. You just need to sign into your account, usually this one that you’re on now. You should be asked to sign in and the craft becomes bound to you. Never heard of this before. What RC are you using ?

Not really. If the M3 has already been bound to an account the previous owner needs to release the drone first before binding to a new account.
2022-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Suren Posted at 4-1 10:05
Not really. If the M3 has already been bound to an account the previous owner needs to release the drone first before binding to a new account.

Does this mean if he Factory resets it is still bound to other owner ?
2022-4-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 4-1 10:10

Only Dji can reset it or release it. I bought a used M3 from a guy desperate for cash for $1500 a week ago, it was bound to his account and no matter what I tried I failed to open it. I had to go meet him and he logged in, went to device management and released the drone from his account, then only it worked for me.
2022-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Suren Posted at 4-1 10:20
Only Dji can reset it or release it. I bought a used M3 from a guy desperate for cash for $1500 a week ago, it was bound to his account and no matter what I tried I failed to open it. I had to go meet him and he logged in, went to device management and released the drone from his account, then only it worked for me.

But I had told OP to reset drone and remote. I don’t know if this works but it can’t hurt to try. That’s why I specifically asked if it could be reset that way. But maybe not. Great price for the M3, maybe he found your flyaway
2022-4-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 4-1 10:24
But I had told OP to reset drone and remote. I don’t know if this works but it can’t hurt to try. That’s why I specifically asked if it could be reset that way. But maybe not. Great price for the M3, maybe he found your flyaway

LOL first thing I checked was the serial number with my box but nah it was not, also this guy that was selling it was like a 100km from where I live.
2022-4-1
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems crazy to me that DJI wouldn't have any way of unlocking a drone. Surely if I provided proof of purchase they would know its a legitimate purchase of a used drone!
2022-4-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
New Zealand

Cloudbase Posted at 4-1 11:01
Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems crazy to me that DJI wouldn't have any way of unlocking a drone. Surely if I provided proof of purchase they would know its a legitimate purchase of a used drone!

That could work as only they will be able to unlock other than the original owner.
2022-4-1
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 4-1 11:24
That could work as only they will be able to unlock other than the original owner.

Sadly I have to wait until Monday to find out. Oh well. I'll try then
2022-4-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Playing Devil's Advocate here. Regarding proof of purchase, does your proof of purchase cite the drone's serial number etc. if not how can DJI tell the proof of purchase is for the bound drone?

Maybe they (DJI) could email the first owner and ask if they (the first owner) had returned the drone, which would favour your position.
2022-4-1
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-1 13:03
Playing Devil's Advocate here. Regarding proof of purchase, does your proof of purchase cite the drone's serial number etc. if not how can DJI tell the proof of purchase is for the bound drone?

Maybe they could email the first owner and ask if they had returned the drone which would favour your position.

If the purpose of binding the drone to its original owner is to prevent theft after a fly away I could provide a photo of the entire purchase. Even the box has a serial number on it with the Amazon Warehouse sticker beside it. We'll see if common sense prevails on Monday
2022-4-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, there. Sorry for the late reply. After the aircraft is bound with an account, it can also be removed from the account. To remove the aircraft from the account, there is no need to connect the aircraft. But only the bound account can operate this function. Here is the path: Profile>Device Management>Account and Device>Remove device from account.
2022-4-1
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 4-1 23:52
Hi, there. Sorry for the late reply. After the aircraft is bound with an account, it can also be removed from the account. To remove the aircraft from the account, there is no need to connect the aircraft. But only the bound account can operate this function. Here is the path: Profile>Device Management>Account and Device>Remove device from account.

I appreciate your reply but you have missed the point. I have no way of contacting the previous owner as I bought from Amazon Warehouse. Any help would be appreciated
2022-4-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Cloudbase Posted at 4-2 00:47
I appreciate your reply but you have missed the point. I have no way of contacting the previous owner as I bought from Amazon Warehouse. Any help would be appreciated

Hi, there. May we double confirm that you want to bind your account on the DJI Fly app? If yes, please try to follow the steps above to see if it works.
2022-4-2
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 4-2 01:25
Hi, there. May we double confirm that you want to bind your account on the DJI Fly app? If yes, please try to follow the steps above to see if it works.

I cant unbind it from the previous owner. I'll upload a photo shortly
2022-4-2
Use props
Cloudbase
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 4-2 01:29
Hi, there. After the aircraft is bound with an account, it can be removed from the account on your own by following the steps above.

2022-4-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Sorry for any confusion caused. We suggest you contact the seller for further assistance. Thanks for your understanding.  
2022-4-2
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

return the thing.  what don't you get, amazon sold you rubbish.  amazons known for selling garbage.
2022-4-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 4-2 03:23
return the thing.  what don't you get, amazon sold you rubbish.  amazons known for selling garbage.

Ok you also said you were returning or selling your M3, have you done this , how did you return sell it or what. Amazon sell plenty of great products.
2022-4-2
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this issue with a used Mavic 3 bought from BH Photo.  After talking with DJI the absolute only way to unbind is the original owner logging in with their account and unbinding.  DJI has no way of unbinding.  That said binding is only needed for DJI care fly away coverage.  The drone will work with your account, at least mine did.  This feature provides for fly away insurance and is supposed to prevent someone who finds the lost drone from using it, but it also hinders resale.  This is a fairly new feature from my understanding.  Reputable used dealers like BH and Adorama were completely unaware of this until I notified them.  They returned my drone and replaced with new as they couldn’t contact the original owner to unbind.
2022-4-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 4-1 10:10

Yep........
2022-4-4
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 4-2 03:23

No it is not. It just sells what the seller provides. This is not an "Amazon" product, it is just like a non-committal eBay type product. Read the rules.

I have bought over 1000 real Amazon products over the last 6 years. 99% satisfied. You are losing out on a great service.

I used to drive five miles through possibly some of the worst most dangerous traffic in the USA to buy, for example, a dozen stainless steel screws from a dirty hardware store. Now I order them online then they are delivered to my home the next day. It is a dream world. Viva Bezos.

2022-4-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is a thread on mavic pilots that made me think, what controller came with the drone? If the one with the built in screen, are the original owner's flight logs still on it?
Assuming so, they might, indirectly,  give you the original owner's address and enable you to contact them.
You probably can not replay the logs in the controller without being logged in to the original DJI account (not possible) BUT you probably can download those logs to your computer and then upload them to Airdata and replay the flights, it's a reasonable bet any such logs contain some flights from or near the original owner’s home
2022-4-5
Use props
djiuser_p5A2G7cOI5OS
lvl.1

Italy

i bought a dji  mini 2 on amazon and i received the same error. Bloody hell i don't know how unbind it!
2022-4-6
Use props
djiuser_AEC9puASet1m
lvl.1
Flight distance : 278524 ft
Chile

DJI Thor Posted at 4-2 02:51
Sorry for any confusion caused. We suggest you contact the seller for further assistance. Thanks for your understanding.

Looking at the moderators' responses, it is clear to me that they don't even take the time to read....

DJI THOR, if you are paid to do this job, please do it well.
Because you are not doing your job well, you don't deliver any solution and you don't even take the time to read the problem posed by the user in question.
2022-4-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_AEC9puASet1m Posted at 4-8 05:59
Looking at the moderators' responses, it is clear to me that they don't even take the time to read....

DJI THOR, if you are paid to do this job, please do it well.

Sorry for any confusion caused. We really try to help this out. Since the unbinding process involves the private information of the previous aircraft owner, we are unable to assist with this process. The users need to contact the seller for further assistance. Thanks for your understanding.
2022-4-8
Use props
TopDrones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326191 ft

United States

Suren Posted at 4-1 10:05

Useless advice
2022-4-8
Use props
r0bb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10531 ft

Netherlands

I would like to add that I'm also running into this problem (2022-05-30) and it's RIDICULOUS. DJI needs to fix this ASAP.

Bought the Mini 2 from a big webshop in Europe (not Amazon) as a "returned item in great condition". It was indeed in great condition, I doubt it was ever flown, it had all the stickers on it and everything. But as it turns out it was already bound to another DJI account. I think the previous buyer did this because I think the app prompts you to do it when you start it up, even if you don't have or want Care Refresh warranty.

So now I'm in the position that I can't get this undone unless I can somehow get in contact with the previous buyer and get him to undo it. I can't purchase Care Refresh (which luckily I didn't want anyway), but what worries me more is that IF the previous owner reports the drone as a "fly away" I think my aircraft will be remotely disabled/bricked. Also I'm not sure if the previous owner can spy on me by having access to my flight logs or something.

DJI keeps saying "contact the previous owner or seller", but they don't get that big webshops like this who outsource their returns to other company's have NO IDEA who the buyer was. Even if they did, they would NOT get involved in an issue like this because it's a privacy issue and too much hassle. They'd rather have you return the drone and destroy it, which is the advice I got from them. Just return it.

Now I can send DJI proof of purchase and they will not undo the binding, but contact the previous buyer per email and ask them to undo it. Will see how that goes. If I'm lucky this will work. But yeah this system is flawed. What if you bought it cash from a person (flea market or something)? What if the previous owner doesn't respond? DJI needs to figure this out.

2022-5-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There's no need to add the same post to two threads. What would you have them do? How could they 'fix it'? It's probably desgined to prevent a lost drone being flown by a finder or someone the sold the drone too, reciepts can be faked are they to break the binding for anyone showing a 'genuine' reciept, what would constitute a genuine reciept?
2022-5-30
Use props
r0bb
lvl.2

Netherlands

I added it to 2 relevant threads about this subject that I found when dealing with this issue to increase visibility.

You don't appreciate how BAD this is. It's a serious problem.

- Stores that get returns are going to be screwed by this, having to destroy drones simply because they cannot be resold because of this.
- Consumers are going to end up in conflicts with sellers and DJI when they find out about this issue but can't return it to the seller or even contact them.
- You cannot activate DJI Care Refresh because of this issue, but you may have already bought the care refresh package from a retailer! Good luck trying to return Care Refresh, it's basically like trying to return a software license when you openened the package.
- I think the previous owner can report the drone as a "fly away" and therefore have your drone remotely disabled. I'm even wondering if this is an avenue for scammers. Buy drone from store with care refresh, return the drone for a full refund, report it lost to DJI, get new drone and in the process screw over the new owner who now has a brick.

As far as the problems that you suggest. Sure, legitimate concerns, but this is DJI's problem to resolve and find a watertight process for that doesn't include having the previous owner cooperate, because they might not respond. Basically they could contact the previous owner, but if they fail to respond for a certain time assume the new owner is legitimate if they provide proper documentation and unbind the account for them.
2022-5-30
Use props
djiuser_KXsZ992ZO8ez
New

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-1 10:00
.........fbz6, why are you quoting me and giving me that advice? I am not the purchaser.
Besides the drone was bought from Amazon Warehouse, isn't that 'where' Amazon sell returned items from?
If so, then since Cloudbase explicitly mention the warehouse I would assume that Cloudbase was aware that they were NOT buying a "new'" drone but rather a returned drone.

I bought from Amazon but did not buy from Amazon warehouse and I clicked on buy new and they still sent me a used one that is bound to someone else and they charged me the price of a new one. Their solution was for me to send it back, get a refund, and try again! Nope. $4000 for a drone and controller and they sent me a used one.
2022-6-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_KXsZ992ZO8ez Posted at 6-14 17:37
I bought from Amazon but did not buy from Amazon warehouse and I clicked on buy new and they still sent me a used one that is bound to someone else and they charged me the price of a new one. Their solution was for me to send it back, get a refund, and try again! Nope. $4000 for a drone and controller and they sent me a used one.

Well I would give you almost the same advice, send it back to Amazon and get a refund but to quote my post that you yourself quote "why are you quoting me"?
2022-6-15
Use props
r0bb
lvl.2

Netherlands

I just want to update this situation for future reference, because I'm sure people with the same issue will find this thread like I did.

DJI support offered to contact the previous owner for me (who returned it to the webshop) to ask them to unbind the aircraft from their account. They asked me to wait for a response. After about 10 days they came back and told me there was no response and that's the end of it. The aircraft will be bound forever to this account now.

I specifically asked DJI what the exact consequences are for me. They said I can't get DJI refresh. There are no privacy issues, the previous owner can't see my flight logs. But when I prodded about what if the previous owner reports it stolen or lost, they were a bit more vague and told me I should keep my invoice as proof or purchase.

Considered keeping it, but: a) it's still kind of a bad feeling b) still slightly paranoid that previous owner might have it blocked c) it makes reselling the aircraft later a lot harder. So I'm returning it. Told the webshop the drone should probably be destroyed, because nobody is going to want this anymore...

DJI should really allow the account binding to be reset. If I can show proof of purchase and they contact the previous owner and ask them if it was lost/stolen or simply returned, then at that point there really is no reason to not unbind it at my request.

2022-6-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules