Magenta bands through RAW DNG image, file corruption
1241 9 2022-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

I've had an intermittent problem with my Osmo Pocket 2 and still photos taken in RAW format. Huge magenta bands appear across the actual image. The JPG previews seen on the Osmo Pocket screen and on my iPhone SE do not show the corruption of the image file. It doesn't seem to matter what the resolution is, nor battery condition, or anything else. It's ruined a couple of shoots, and I'm upset and at a complete loss. A great tool seems to have a fatal flaw where stills is concerned. I'll attach a couple of screenshots of the images in the Adobe Bridge browser to illustrate what I'm experiencing. Untitled1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg
2022-4-17
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

HI Daemon B, would u plz try RAW file without digital zoom to see whether the issue remains?
2022-4-17
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

hello ytao
I made a series of photos in RAW format, starting at native resolution (9216×6912 pixels) and increasing by 1/10 magnification increments. I made two exposures at each magnification increment. As you can see from the screen capture, none of the images show any magenta-band corruption at any digital zoom level, including zero zoom. I'll also include a screenshot from my iPhone SE2 that shows the low-res previews of the problem images from my previous shoot. As you can see from that screenshot, the images all appear to be OK, but when I got back to my studio and downloaded them, the magenta-band corruption became apparent. That's what makes this issue so upsetting. There doesn't seem to be a way to determine whether the corruption is happening or not when I'm actually shooting the images.
2022-4-18
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Daemon B Posted at 4-18 07:15
hello ytao
I made a series of photos in RAW format, starting at native resolution (9216×6912 pixels) and increasing by 1/10 magnification increments. I made two exposures at each magnification increment. As you can see from the screen capture, none of the images show any magenta-band corruption at any digital zoom level, including zero zoom. I'll also include a screenshot from my iPhone SE2 that shows the low-res previews of the problem images from my previous shoot. As you can see from that screenshot, the images all appear to be OK, but when I got back to my studio and downloaded them, the magenta-band corruption became apparent. That's what makes this issue so upsetting. There doesn't seem to be a way to determine whether the corruption is happening or not when I'm actually shooting the images. [view_image][view_image][view_image]

if u shoot raw photo with no digital zoom. there will be no bands for sure.

digital zoom crops pixel size, so for raw photo, u may just do it in post process.
2022-4-28
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 4-28 01:13
if u shoot raw photo with no digital zoom. there will be no bands for sure.

digital zoom crops pixel size, so for raw photo, u may just do it in post process.

That may be true, Ytao, but then it's difficult to see or frame the action that you're trying to capture. The bottom line would be: if digital zoom is available as a tool with the Osmo Pocket 2, then shouldn't a customer expect it to work correctly, instead of having corrupt files that appear later, and when the low-resolution previews showed no corruption?
2022-4-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ideally, zoom function would be disabled when raw files are being created.
2022-4-28
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 4-28 06:07
Ideally, zoom function would be disabled when raw files are being created.

Why accept less functionality?
2022-4-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It seems that the problem is inherent in zooming in-camera a raw file, and it seems that there's no point in doing that given that the raw file is going to be post-processed anyway, at which point the cropping can be considered at leisure.
2022-4-28
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 4-28 13:55
It seems that the problem is inherent in zooming in-camera a raw file, and it seems that there's no point in doing that given that the raw file is going to be post-processed anyway, at which point the cropping can be considered at leisure.

Not really. As a photographer, you want to be able to see what you're shooting.
2022-4-28
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 4-28 13:55

Not really. As a photographer, you want to be able to see what you're shooting. Also, if zoom is not really safe, it should be totally disabled or a warning should be present in the manuals.
2022-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules