Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How can I set file numbering on continuously on my Mavic 3
5990 34 2022-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rolzonline.no
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7838192 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hi!
How can I set file numbering on continuously on my Mavic 3
rolz

2022-4-20
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You can't .. because DJI thought that no-one buying their flagship prosumer drone needs to.
They make the M3 run on the dinky entry-level Fly app that their cheapest entry-level drones use, and that has lots of features and options missing, including being able to select Continuous File Index.
2022-4-20
Use props
rolzonline.no
lvl.1
  • >>>
Norway

Labroides Posted at 4-20 23:12
You can't .. because DJI thought that no-one buying their flagship prosumer drone needs to.
They make the M3 run on the dinky entry-level Fly app that their cheapest entry-level drones use, and that has lots of features and options missing, including being able to select Continuous File Index.

File numbering on continuously worked on previous updates.
2022-4-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can leave a photo on the SD card where you want to start from and it will carry on that numbering.  
2022-4-21
Use props
rolzonline.no
lvl.1
  • >>>
Norway

DAFlys Posted at 4-21 00:04
You can leave a photo on the SD card where you want to start from and it will carry on that numbering.

I work with research, and change SD cards often to ensure that recordings do not disappear if M3 is lost. Every time I change cards, the numbering starts at 1. The problem arises when the files are to be in the same folder, then I have to renumber the files in the order in which the recordings were made.
2022-4-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rolzonline.no Posted at 4-21 00:31
I work with research, and change SD cards often to ensure that recordings do not disappear if M3 is lost. Every time I change cards, the numbering starts at 1. The problem arises when the files are to be in the same folder, then I have to renumber the files in the order in which the recordings were made.

Sadly thats the only workaround to the issue.
2022-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

rolzonline.no Posted at 4-20 23:32
File numbering on continuously worked on previous updates.

It has never worked for any DJI drone that uses the Fly app.
There is no option to choose between Reset and Continuous.
Every time you put a clean SD card in the drone, the file index goes back to 001.

It's a ridiculous situation for serious photographers using a drone that costs this much.

2022-4-21
Use props
frankymusik
Captain
Flight distance : 27713973 ft
  • >>>
Germany

rolzonline.no Posted at 4-21 00:31

Hi rolz,
it's "weird" but I definitely don't have this problem!
However, there are two different methods:

1. I copy the contents of the SD card(s) (using a Windows PC) to a hard drive on the PC and then format the SD card(s) directly on the PC.
Then the previous numbering is always continued on the next flight, i.e. not reset!

2. I format the SD card in the Mavic 3 after copying the data.
The numbering then always starts with "DJI_0001".

That's why I only use method 1 now!

2022-4-21
Use props
rolzonline.no
lvl.1
  • >>>
Norway

frankymusik Posted at 4-21 11:29
Hi rolz,

Thanks for tip number 1. I always format the SD card before each flight on the M3. From now on, it will be on the PC after transferring the files.
2022-4-21
Use props
frankymusik
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

rolzonline.no Posted at 4-21 12:03
Thanks for tip number 1. I always format the SD card before each flight on the M3. From now on, it will be on the PC after transferring the files.

You are welcome.
2022-4-21
Use props
#DroneTech
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hi rolz,

Thanks for that tip, i am also going to try that Franky.
2022-4-21
Use props
Flormo2002
Captain
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-21 01:40
It has never worked for any DJI drone that uses the Fly app.
There is no option to choose between Reset and Continuous.
Every time you put a clean SD card in the drone, the file index goes back to 001.

Something that can be easily remedied in several ways. Is it really a big deal? Not to me
2022-4-21
Use props
alex_markov
Captain
Flight distance : 38850850 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

For many years I was asking for simple file name format yyyymmddhhmmss as all phones do now and you have no problem with names but DJI never listens
2022-4-21
Use props
KLRSKIR
Captain
Flight distance : 28328212 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi rolz,

Thanks for the tip! Do you know what causes the "reset" if the cards are formatted in the aircraft?
2022-4-23
Use props
frankymusik
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

KLRSKIR Posted at 4-23 04:23
Thanks for the tip! Do you know what causes the "reset" if the cards are formatted in the aircraft?

You are welcome...

Unfortunately, I don't know why the M3 behaves like this when formatting the SD card "internally".
It would only be conjecture if I commented on this...
Sometimes I use the M3 for timelapses (I don't mean hyperlapses here), have a photo taken every 2s, 3s or 5s while the M3 is firmly on a surface (wall, roof, ...).
These photos - lined up as a video - can show very nice processes of cloud cover etc. pp., without shaking, which cannot be avoided when flying...
The battery of the M3 then lasts up to 3 hours, and significantly more than 999 photos are saved.
In short: The numbering always begins with "0001" but ends with "0999".
A new folder (on the SD card) is then (automatically) created and the numbering starts again at "0001".
The names are "DJI_0xxx.JPG" or "DJI_0xxx.DNG" for images and "DJI_0xxx.MP4" for videos.
This (actually 3-digit) number is unique in that it is assigned consecutively, depending on what is currently being recorded, e.g. "DJI_0143.JPG", then "DJI_0144.DNG" and then "DJI_0145.MP4".
So after 999 recordings it's generally over, it starts again with "001"...
In this respect, you quickly lose the overview later if you only consider these file names...
Formatting the SD card on the PC is only a minor help, since sooner or later you end up back at the beginning of the numbering...

2022-4-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why not put the card in a reader attached to a computer and then use a renaming program to change the names in the second or third or whatever folder from DJI_0xyz.abc to DJI_1xyz.abc or DJI_2xyz.abc ......whilst the files are on the card. Once the files have been renamed move them to your permanent.
Or, if your file are already mixed up in your permanent storage, sort them in the renamer by, if possible, "date take" or "date created" and then rename them. Bulk rename utility, which is what I use on windows offers various sorting options but I don't remember if that includes "date taken". If it doesn't the sort the files by "date taken" in windows, move them to appropriately named folder and then use 'your' renamer on each folder in turn. Once that is done move the files back to their proper storage folder.
It's not difficult to do, nor slow.
2022-4-23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For the record I am another person who formats their cards in Windows and, from memory, I have never had a problem with the filename counter being reset to 0001 when a new and freshly windows formatted card has been put in a drone.
2022-4-23
Use props
rolzonline.no
lvl.1
  • >>>
Norway

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-23 22:57
For the record I am another person who formats their cards in Windows and, from memory, I have never had a problem with the filename counter being reset to 0001 when a new and freshly windows formatted card has been put in a drone.

I experienced the same thing yesterday at a job with 3 hours and 37 minutes in the air, on the west coast of Norway. 5 SD cards were formatted on PC, everything worked perfectly and the whole series of files had consecutive number order. But I ran out of pre-formatted cards and took SD cards from the spare drone Mavic 2 pro. Mavic 3 did not recognize these cards used in M2p. With an emergency card in a bunch of keys, I got the job done.
2022-4-25
Use props
KLRSKIR
Captain
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 4-23 05:04
You are welcome...

Unfortunately, I don't know why the M3 behaves like this when formatting the SD card "internally".

Works like a charm! I just tested it in my A2S. I name my off-load folders by date, or job dependent  description so technically I really haven't needed sequential file names but it's great to have a work-around if the need arises.

It's unfortunate that the files revert to "001" after "999." I don't recall my P4 reverting, but then again it's been a long time since I've taken over a thousand files with that bird.  Thanks again!
2022-4-25
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

KLRSKIR Posted at 4-25 08:45
Works like a charm! I just tested it in my A2S. I name my off-load folders by date, or job dependent  description so technically I really haven't needed sequential file names but it's great to have a work-around if the need arises.

It's unfortunate that the files revert to "001" after "999." I don't recall my P4 reverting, but then again it's been a long time since I've taken over a thousand files with that bird.  Thanks again!

I don't recall my P4 reverting
You don't remember it but the P4 (and P3 too) only go to 0999.
2022-4-25
Use props
KLRSKIR
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 4-25 14:45
I don't recall my P4 reverting
You don't remember it but the P4 (and P3 too) only go to 0999.

True story, I'm old!
2022-4-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

KLRSKIR Posted at 4-27 15:58
True story, I'm old!

The Phantom 2 series went to 09999, but with the Phantom 3 series that changed to 0999 and it's been that way since then.
2022-4-27
Use props
fans3e539feb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5795164 ft
United States

Hi rolz,

This problem just cropped up the past few days, I have done a combination of formatting in my Mac or my windows computer and formatting in the Mavic 3. The last few days I noticed that it was restarting at 1 every time. I will try formatting in my Windows computer and see how that works. Thanks for the tip!
2022-6-2
Use props
fans1fce5ca9
lvl.1

United States

DJI please add the ability to not only file continuously but also set file name to whatever you want.  Crazy this does not exist yet.  Also can you add the ability to ramp hyperlapse speeds?  Start at 3 mph end at .1 mph would be amazing!
2022-7-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans1fce5ca9 Posted at 7-19 09:14
DJI please add the ability to not only file continuously but also set file name to whatever you want.  Crazy this does not exist yet.  Also can you add the ability to ramp hyperlapse speeds?  Start at 3 mph end at .1 mph would be amazing!

You will probably find that the numbering will continuous PROVIDING you do NOT format the card in the drone. I do not have the M3 but this applies with my Flyapp using Mavic Mini and Mini 2.
Alternatively copy the last photo or video onto the card, into the correct folder of course, and the numbering will continue.

2022-7-19
Use props
CuAnnan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69432 ft
Ireland

alex_markov Posted at 4-21 21:21
For many years I was asking for simple file name format yyyymmddhhmmss as all phones do now and you have no problem with names but DJI never listens

This is the best answer I can see to the problem.
2022-7-19
Use props
Mzp
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hi All,

Not sure if this is of help, but DJI splits the video into files of approximately 3GB each only if you are saving on SD card, i.e. if you save on internal storage (SSD on Mavic 3 Cine), the file is one large file and is not split into pieces. Just fyi, not sure if this is helpful to anyone though.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-7-19
Use props
UgoFly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6843596 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I have found this "solution" until Dji understands that he has to restore the continuous numbering. I format all the SDs before starting a job and in this way the numbering continues. If I format the SD and leave it on the drone the files will always start from the same number which in my case is 45 (?!?).
2022-8-5
Use props
djiuser_Sm4Q4VRDKHxI
lvl.1
Indonesia

CuAnnan Posted at 7-19 13:03
This is the best answer I can see to the problem.

I fully agree. Timestamp as filename is the most convient.
2022-12-2
Use props
Gamma Fly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 718166 ft
South Africa

Before you copy the files from the SD card , use Infanview ( free) to batch rename (and move ) based on EXIF date/time. That way all files will be named uniquely
2022-12-15
Use props
Mzp
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Hi All,

This appears to have been fixed in recent firmware , either the latest one (December 09th, 2022) or most likely the one before. I record files onto SSD on Mavic 3 Cine and I format the SSD before each flight directly from the drone's Camera menu. I noticed that without me changing any settings, the file indexing is now continuous. Just wanted to share this with everyone.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-12-15
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
Flight distance : 10238648 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 12-15 07:16
Hi All,

This appears to have been fixed in recent firmware , either the latest one (December 09th, 2022) or most likely the one before. I record files onto SSD on Mavic 3 Cine and I format the SSD before each flight directly from the drone's Camera menu. I noticed that without me changing any settings, the file indexing is now continuous. Just wanted to share this with everyone.

That is great news!  I need to look at that again Mike!
2022-12-15
Use props
Mzp
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 12-15 07:23
That is great news!  I need to look at that again Mike!

Yes sure Tony, I was pleasantly surprised to see it working after recent software update

Take care, Mike.
2022-12-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mzp Posted at 12-15 07:16
Hi All,

This appears to have been fixed in recent firmware , either the latest one (December 09th, 2022) or most likely the one before. I record files onto SSD on Mavic 3 Cine and I format the SSD before each flight directly from the drone's Camera menu. I noticed that without me changing any settings, the file indexing is now continuous. Just wanted to share this with everyone.

Is there an option to set it to reset? If not then I bet it won't be long before we see rants about 'it not resetting' at every card change etc.

"You can please all of the people some of the ti.......".etc. etc..
2022-12-15
Use props
Mzp
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-15 09:24
Is there an option to set it to reset? If not then I bet it won't be long before we see rants about 'it not resetting' at every card change etc.

"You can please all of the people some of the ti.......".etc. etc..

Hi Sean,

Actually that's a good point there. I haven't yet checked this. I will check it and share here. Imho the settings for it should be in Camera settings.

Take care, Mike.
2022-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules