22615 27 2022-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MChasePhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 631178 ft
United States

Hi everyone,
I need recommendations for a lav mic that will work well with the DJI wireless mics. I bought a Rode Lavalier GO to use with the DJI transmitter but I get really bad interference when using the lav. There is no interference when using the built in mics on the DJI transmitters, even when I have them right next to my computer or router. I tested both transmitters with the Rode lav and they both do it, I also tested in different parts of my house, outside in my yard, and with different placements of the transmitter and lav (cable stretched out, cable coiled up, etc), none of which helped (the interference was more intermittent when I was outside but it was still there). Then I tested my Sony UTX wireless mic pack / Sony lav in the same places as the DJI / Rode and I didn't get any interference (I can't use the Sony lav on the DJI transmitter becasue the Sony has a locking thread on it, I can plug it in but it doesn't seat fully / doesn't work). Lasty I tested using a full size hand held omni mic from Audio-Technica plugged into the DJI transmitter and that resulted in no interference, so that seems to point to the Rode lav being the issue. I don't know if this specific lav is defective or if it's due to the very thin wire not having enough shielding but either way I need to get a different lav.
Has anyone else run into this issue and what lav did you get that didn't have interference?

Here's an audio clip if you want to hear the type of interference I'm getting - https://www.dropbox.com/s/51w7isc5bm9wmdm/rode_lav_interference.wav?dl=0

Thanks!

2022-5-2
Use props
MChasePhoto
lvl.2
United States

After a bit more searching I just found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsf9nIiMgPA) that talks about the interference issues so in case anyone else is thinking about getting a lav to go with the DJI mic you will want to watch this video first. Sounds like the Shure MVL is the best option currently (without getting into the really expensive lavs).
2022-5-2
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Has anyone tested this with Rode SmartLav+?
2022-5-2
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I bought some very inexpensive AGPTEK lav mics from Amazon after watching a YouTube review (maybe the same one you found, I didn't check). They cost less than 20 GBP each, came with adapters and extra METAL lapel clips and wind protection and work great with the DJI mic transmitters. I understand the temptation to go with a big brand but I no longer kid myself that there's any discernable difference. Buy one to start with if you're unsure but I'm so satisfied that I'm ordering two more. The only slight issue is that they terminate in miniTRRS jacks. These can be adapted with the supplied short female TRRS to male TRS adapter lead, which is a secure fit but obviously an additional connection you may not want to have to think about. A little strip of tape should take care of any fears but I really don't have any.
By the way, there's been a firmware update that adds RECORD STOP LOCK to prevent accidental switching off the transmitters' record function; an AUTO RECORD function that causes the transmitters to start recording as soon as they are removed from the dock; and a much needed setting that dims the light on the transmitters.
2022-5-14
Use props
MChasePhoto
lvl.2
United States

Sounds like we saw the same video, it was by Stewart & Alina and he tested 8 different mics. I thought about getting one of the cheaper mics but I'm going to be using these for work and don't mind spending a little more on a more known / established brand. So I got the Shure MVL lav which works really well.

That's a nice feature, I was actually wondering how easy it would be for someone to accidentally mute the mic or stop the recording. If they're wearing it on their belt I don't think it will be much of an issue but if you slide it into a pocket then I could see the buttons getting pressed. I pretty much always plan on recording into a camera or external audio recorder so the built in recording on the transmitter will be a backup for me.
2022-5-16
Use props
Jurgen3
New

Israel

I also have this exact same issue with external microphones. The Shure MVL works like a charm, but pretty much all other external microphones I tried have this weird interference noise. I tried several Rode, Boya and Deity microphones, battery powered or not, lav or condenser - all have some kind of degree of this noise when connected via DJI mic...
Regretfully I am thinking about returning the DJI mic as it seems un-trustable in mission critical (professional) environments
2022-6-10
Use props
MChasePhoto
lvl.2
United States

Jurgen3 Posted at 6-10 01:42
I also have this exact same issue with external microphones. The Shure MVL works like a charm, but pretty much all other external microphones I tried have this weird interference noise. I tried several Rode, Boya and Deity microphones, battery powered or not, lav or condenser - all have some kind of degree of this noise when connected via DJI mic...
Regretfully I am thinking about returning the DJI mic as it seems un-trustable in mission critical (professional) environments

It is pretty annoying to have such an issue and not be informed of it ahead of time, hopefully it's something DJI will be able to fix it through firmware. But if not and an incompatibility with a few lapel mics is the only major issue, I can live with that given that there are other lapel mics that work fine. I can't use a Canon flash on my Nikon camera even though they both have the same type of foot / mount, so it's not like incompatibilities in products of the same type but different brand is anything new. I did have the same feeling as you when I first had the interference issue with the B&H "recommended" lapel mic that I bought and if every mic was the same or if the only fix was to buy one of the $200 - $300 lapel mics then I'd have returned the DJI mic for sure. I'm ok spending a little on a decent lapel mic but for the work I do I don't need the most expensive ones.

I've used the transmitter with the Shure lapel mic a number of times now and it's worked really well. I haven't been too far from the person mic'd up but have been in some large offices / meetings rooms that had a lot of other electronics and Wifi and haven't had any interference issues. That was one of my initial concerns going with a 2.4ghz mic but so far it hasn't been an issue.

All that said I haven't sold my Sony UWP-D mic packs yet. I still plan on doing that but will hold onto them until I've had a chance to use the DJI mics in some more challenging conditions.
2022-6-10
Use props
JMacLA
lvl.1

United States

The DJI Mic is a complete FAIL for pro use. After dropping almost $400, I'm really disappointed with DJI. First, pros don't use chunky transmitter packs as mics. Never. The fact we can't use high quality lav mics we already own, due to interference concerns, is ridiculous. DJI dropped the ball on quality control/testing. So, if you want to use this system "professionally", you need to drop another $69 on one of the only lav mics that works with it, the Shure MVL. Which, honestly, is far from a good mic.

This is a prime example of how all the sycophant YouTube reviewers are bending over backwards to gush glowingly over crap products in order to keep the freebie gravy-train rolling. Some reviews are quite comical. Quickly, it becomes obvious this is the first time a reviewer is using a wireless mic. They squeal with delight how audio magically travels through the air to their cameras and immediately proclaim 5 stars for such engineering ingenuity. While I give the DJI engineers 5 stars for form factor, the performance is another story.

Aside from interference problems, noise is another issue. This system isn't that quiet. Compared to my 10+ year old Sennheiser G3 wireless system, this is like a 70s metal desk fan. Even at 0 gain, the noise floor is pretty high. My Sennheiser is still virtually noise-free. While I really wanted to like it, especially due to the miniature size, I'm most definitely going to return it. It's not ready for prime time.
2022-6-30
Use props
flytime.cc
New

Switzerland

I use Godox GO LMS-12AXL. The AXL version has a screw on the jack (Sennheiser EW type) so needs an adaptor, which is hard to get. The AX version is a standard 3.5mm. Mine works perfectly fine. The mic is excellent value for money. Few resellers in Europe, don't know about US, but you can probably get via Ali express and still worth it with shipping and customs.
2022-7-20
Use props
flytime.cc
New

Switzerland

I use Godox GO LMS-12AXL. The AXL version has a screw on the jack (Sennheiser EW type) so needs an adaptor, which is hard to get. The AX version is a standard 3.5mm. Mine works perfectly fine. The mic is excellent value for money. Few resellers in Europe, don't know about US, but you can probably get via Ali express and still worth it with shipping and customs.
2022-7-20
Use props
flytime.cc
New

Switzerland

2022-7-20
Use props
flytime.cc
New

Switzerland

2022-7-20
Use props
flytime.cc
New

Switzerland

Sorry for the multiple posts! I can't find a way to delete!
2022-7-20
Use props
fans62d89bad
New

United States

TooDeep Posted at 5-14 12:14
I bought some very inexpensive AGPTEK lav mics from Amazon after watching a YouTube review (maybe the same one you found, I didn't check). They cost less than 20 GBP each, came with adapters and extra METAL lapel clips and wind protection and work great with the DJI mic transmitters. I understand the temptation to go with a big brand but I no longer kid myself that there's any discernable difference. Buy one to start with if you're unsure but I'm so satisfied that I'm ordering two more. The only slight issue is that they terminate in miniTRRS jacks. These can be adapted with the supplied short female TRRS to male TRS adapter lead, which is a secure fit but obviously an additional connection you may not want to have to think about. A little strip of tape should take care of any fears but I really don't have any.
By the way, there's been a firmware update that adds RECORD STOP LOCK to prevent accidental switching off the transmitters' record function; an AUTO RECORD function that causes the transmitters to start recording as soon as they are removed from the dock; and a much needed setting that dims the light on the transmitters.

Hey! I’m shooting a wedding in a few weeks and I’m looking for a lav mic that will not have interference with the dji mic. Could you possibly link me to the AGPTEK mic that you have used that have worked with your dji mic? It would be very helpful! I really do not want to spend a ton of money on the shure. Really appreciate your time! Thank you!
2022-8-4
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans62d89bad Posted at 8-4 16:04
Hey! I’m shooting a wedding in a few weeks and I’m looking for a lav mic that will not have interference with the dji mic. Could you possibly link me to the AGPTEK mic that you have used that have worked with your dji mic? It would be very helpful! I really do not want to spend a ton of money on the shure. Really appreciate your time! Thank you!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Remember you'll need the miniTRRS to miniTRS adapter supplied in the kit.
2022-8-5
Use props
fans62d89bad
New

United States

TooDeep Posted at 5-14 12:14

Could you by chance link me to the AGPTEK mics you got? I have weddings coming up soon and I’m trying to find out which mic I should get that’s not as expensive as the shure but at the same time do not give any interference or feedback. Thanks so much for your time!
2022-9-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I have tested the Rode SmartLav+ myself on the DJI Mic, and they seem to work perfectly, even without a TRRS to TRS adapter. Not sure why it works, but no interference and the audio is recorded just fine. So that is one functional and relatively cheap option.
2022-9-9
Use props
fisheye44
lvl.1
United States

So, I purchased the DJI Mic and while I love everything about it the issues with lavaliers is really bugging me and making me consider returning it.

I need to buy a lavalier, it seems that the two suggestions so far are the Shure MVL $69 and someone here also said the Rode SmartLva+ $53 was also good.
Those two it seem to be TRRS mics. Now, is there a reason why TRRS works but the Rode Go doesn't. I wish DJI will share some information about if this system was made for TRRS specifically so can know about it and not waste so much time doing test and searching online.

Haven't tried but I guess the TRRS lavalier don't work straight into the rode Go right? I work we have the Rode Go, but we use an ear piece lavalier and it has a locking thingy so it wont fit into DJI mic.

please if anyone has some info and clarification on this, will you share?

thanks a lot.

PS: I am in the USA so some of those euro mics don't have here.
2022-10-6
Use props
MChasePhoto
lvl.2
United States

It is annoying that there is some sort of incompatibility with a lot of mics, hopefully it's something that can be fixed via firmware instead of being a permanent physical issue. But at least there are some mics that work with it, I've been using the Shure MVL since May and it has worked great. The one thing I will say is that the Shure filters out some lower frequencies, for anyone with a higher pitched voice it's not an issue but for your average male voice it can be noticable. It hasn't been a deal breaker for me but it's something to know before buying the Shure.

In doing a quick search I did find that TRRS mics are not directly compatible with the Rode Go, but Rode has an adapter that should let you use a TRRS mic with the Go - https://www.amazon.com/Rode-SC3-3-5mm-TRRS-Adaptor/dp/B00L6C8PNU . I haven't tested this myself so can't say for certain how well it will work.
2022-10-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Did experience some interference with one SmartLav+ connected to DJI Mic, but that did not occur with two other SmartLavs I own, and the interference did occur also when plugged into a smartphone instead of a DJI Mic, so my suspicion is that the SmartLav in question was faulty. Sent it for warranty and they are going to send me another one.
2022-10-8
Use props
Cenda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242831 ft
Czechia

Any experiences with "RODE Lavalier II" and DJI Mic?
2023-1-7
Use props
Mackcross
lvl.2

Jamaica

JMacLA Posted at 2022-6-30 10:48
The DJI Mic is a complete FAIL for pro use. After dropping almost $400, I'm really disappointed with DJI. First, pros don't use chunky transmitter packs as mics. Never. The fact we can't use high quality lav mics we already own, due to interference concerns, is ridiculous. DJI dropped the ball on quality control/testing. So, if you want to use this system "professionally", you need to drop another $69 on one of the only lav mics that works with it, the Shure MVL. Which, honestly, is far from a good mic.

This is a prime example of how all the sycophant YouTube reviewers are bending over backwards to gush glowingly over crap products in order to keep the freebie gravy-train rolling. Some reviews are quite comical. Quickly, it becomes obvious this is the first time a reviewer is using a wireless mic. They squeal with delight how audio magically travels through the air to their cameras and immediately proclaim 5 stars for such engineering ingenuity. While I give the DJI engineers 5 stars for form factor, the performance is another story.

I have to agree with you on this great design however the issue with the lav mics makes it a huge problem for me aas a wedding filmmaker i have to be just pinning the mic in the grooms pocket with sometimes muffles the audio because none of the many lav mics i have work. How did this pass QandA and why did none of the youtube reviews mention this issue?
2023-1-28
Use props
Cenda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 242831 ft
Czechia

So I bought "RODE Lavalier II" and it works great and without interferences. ;)
2023-1-30
Use props
MChasePhoto
lvl.2
United States

Cenda Posted at 1-30 08:56
So I bought "RODE Lavalier II" and it works great and without interferences. ;)

Thanks for confirming that the Rode II works correctly, it's nice to have another option. Now if someone could come out with an $80-$100 white lav that works without interference that would be great! The only options I've found so far are very budget options (Saramonic) and then fairly expensive ones. The Rode Go has a white version and is around $80 but unfortunately suffers from interference. There's also the Countryman B3 which is the next least expensive option ($180) that comes in different colors but I haven't seen if anyone has tried it with the DJI mic yet.
2023-1-30
Use props
imJackH
New

United Kingdom

I'm using the DJI mic with the RØDE SmartLavPlus plugged directly in and I'm not experiencing any issues or interference. No need for any converters either, just plugged straight in an it works great.
2023-1-31
Use props
djiuser_0vABejiAtds8
New

Czechia

I just returned two SHURE MVL lavs. The base mics noise was unacceptable: from -45dB to -35dB
2023-9-6
Use props
djiuser_IA5ZH7LGvzoW
New

Switzerland

JMacLA Posted at 2022-6-30 10:48
The DJI Mic is a complete FAIL for pro use. After dropping almost $400, I'm really disappointed with DJI. First, pros don't use chunky transmitter packs as mics. Never. The fact we can't use high quality lav mics we already own, due to interference concerns, is ridiculous. DJI dropped the ball on quality control/testing. So, if you want to use this system "professionally", you need to drop another $69 on one of the only lav mics that works with it, the Shure MVL. Which, honestly, is far from a good mic.

Comments like this put me off this system for a year and I have to say since getting the DJI Mic I have not been disappointed. We are making documentaries and use the DJI for recording testimonies. The transmitter is easily hidden and it is much easier to work with compared to running a cable down and the inside of an African lady's dress and then not having a belt to attach to.

Noise with modern AI plugins is not an issue.

David M. Taylor - director - freeandhealed
2023-9-12
Use props
junyong
lvl.2
Flight distance : 376165 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven’t read all comments so don’t know if this has already been shared. But the interference you’re hearing is very likely due to the lavalier mic wire acting as an antenna. I don’t know that any lav will completely eliminate this. What may seem to be one mic working better than another may just be very situational. Keep any cell phones as far away from the wire and mics as possible. That inference is probably coming from that RF source.
2-15 18:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules