Do I have to get new screws after uninstalling my props?
2465 9 2022-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AidanDroneFan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1079094 ft
Canada

Hey guys, I have a rusted motor and I got to send my mini into DJI to get repaired. The only thing is that they ask for intact properllers to not be sent. Does that mean I have to remove the ones on my drone? If so, doesent that remove the blue thread lock on the screws and I would have to get new screws when I reinstall the propellers? Thanks
2022-5-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well...........I have reused old screws when refitting the same props, just visually check them to ensure there is Loctite on them.
That said, the DJI prop packs contain 2 spare screws per pack so you could get 4 new screws, without detriment, from 2 packs etc. etc.. Just be sure the tape the pack/s closed so that you don't lose the remaining screws.
2022-5-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-13 09:32
Well...........I have reused old screws when refitting the same props, just visually check them to ensure there is Loctite on them.
That said, the DJI prop packs contain 2 spare screws per pack so you could get 4 new screws, without detriment, from 2 packs etc. etc.. Just be sure the tape the pack/s closed so that you don't lose the remaining screws.

So far I've not had to replace any props (on the Mini one in my case)  How difficult is it to break the loctite seal on the screws without damage or head stripping?  And do the replacement screws need a dab of loctite when refitting?
2022-5-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-13 10:36
So far I've not had to replace any props (on the Mini one in my case)  How difficult is it to break the loctite seal on the screws without damage or head stripping?  And do the replacement screws need a dab of loctite when refitting?

From what I remember the OEM replacement screws already had threadloc on them.  However, I could be wrong as my memory recall is no longer 100%.  
2022-5-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-13 10:39
From what I remember the OEM replacement screws already had threadloc on them.  However, I could be wrong as my memory recall is no longer 100%.

Thanks RDB. You are not alone
2022-5-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 5-13 10:47
Thanks RDB. You are not alone

You're most welcome Mr. B.  
2022-5-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-13 11:17
You're most welcome Mr. B.

2022-5-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-13 10:36
So far I've not had to replace any props (on the Mini one in my case)  How difficult is it to break the loctite seal on the screws without damage or head stripping?  And do the replacement screws need a dab of loctite when refitting?

not difficult PROVIDING you use the correct size of cross point screw driver and that screwdriver is applied squarely...that is my experience so far.
There have been a couple of 'rounded out screwhead' threads but guessing they represent a very small percentage of the actual number of 'undoings'.
Genuine DJI screws seem to have a dab of Loctite on them, I don't know if pattern screws do. If you are inclined to add you own 'Loctite' I would use a needle or pin to apply a TINY drop.

It would be useful to know if the screw's "cross" conforms to Phillips cross head specifications or some other crosshead specification. In fact I will just start a thread concerning that, thanks for asking me that question.
2022-5-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-13 13:19
not difficult PROVIDING you use the correct size of cross point screw driver and that screwdriver is applied squarely...that is my experience so far.
There have been a couple of 'rounded out screwhead' threads but guessing they represent a very small percentage of the actual number of 'undoings'.
Genuine DJI screws seen to have a dab of Loctite on them, I don't know if pattern screws do. If you are inclined to add you own 'Loctite' I would use a needle or pin to apply a TINY drop.

Thanks for that insight.  I think there's an appropriate screwdriver in with the flymore kit of spare blades if memory serves.  Still on the original props, which I've looked after carefully, but it must be getting near time I considered changing them. Once or twice the drone has landed with the warning beep sounding. But I think that may be due more to motor overload from windy conditions than from prop failure.
Subsequent flights have been incident-free.
2022-5-13
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

just get a a bottle of blue loctite and apply it yourself. Do it very sparingly as you do not want excess to drip down into the motor.You can reuse screws as long as you apply loctite to make up for the lost factory loctite. They chip off really easily.
2022-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules